“The most beautiful view in Ubud, with the most friendly staff!”

Puri Bunga Resort and Spa
Ranked #299 of 629 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My fiance and i originally had booked the deluxe bedroom but were upgraded to the Executive suite on arrival. When we got to the room we were blown away! The view was simply breathtaking with a large balcony, the room was HUGE and exotic, free wifi and free foxtel, we were in heaven.

The staff at reception were so sweet, always smiling and waving at us as we walked past.

The breakfast was perfect, no more than what we needed. The gardens that you walk through to get to your room immaculately kept every single day.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the Executive is the room for you!

Room Tip: Executive suite is perfect, this hotel is definitely not for disabled people.... you have to take a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Suci L, Guest Relations Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for staying with Puri Bunga Resort and Spa and sharing the review for our improvement

We highly appreciate your feedback on the food service where we will immediately discuss with related department as it is not the norm. Bali is a tropical Island and as a normal practice in Bali, the hotel carries a variety of methods to prevent discomfort of guests from insects. This includes bi-weekly fogging of garden areas and exterior of hotel, insect coils use in dining area, bathroom and terrace. . We highly value your feedback and will liaise with various departments in the hotel to address the points you raised and I am committed to ensuring we resolve each point you have made. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your future Bali vacation.

The management Puri Bunga Resort & Spa
Dear

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Very calm, quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Stayed in executive suite in the 2. floor, which had astounding views to the nearby river and jungle. Only the executive suites had private balconies. Room was spacious, some minor insects (few ants and beetles) and a few geckos on the wall. Might be problem for some but for us it was just exotic, kept their distance from us anyways. Also lots of bats in the nighttime flying around lights, entertaining to watch. Restaurant was ok, very quiet, food was average-good. Breakfast somewhat limited but sufficient. Service was slow at times but very friendly all the time. Some cheap, very friendly and warm local street warungs nearby, much recommended. 10minute walk to the nearest minimart. Free (bid) shuttle to central Ubud very nice. Wifi worked ok in the rooms, Bali standard kind of wifi. Would go back again. Good place to stay when you want to relax in a quiet atmosphere with lots of nature around.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Matti O

we highly appreciate your feedback on the food service where we will immediately discuss with related department as it is not the norm. Bali is a tropical Island and as a normal practice in Bali, the hotel carries a variety of methods to prevent discomfort of guests from insects. This includes bi-weekly fogging of garden areas and exterior of hotel, insect coils use in dining area, bathroom and terrace. . We highly value your feedback and will liaise with various departments in the hotel to address the points you raised and I am committed to ensuring we resolve each point you have made. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your future Bali vacation.

The management Puri Bunga Resort & Spa

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I keenly booked into this place and had quite a debacle trying to get a taxi out there (beware - quite a few of them have NO idea where it is) only to arrive running desperately late for dinner and then be told that although I'd booked a room through Wotif, there was no rooms for me. So this was vastly disappointing. In saying that, they'd arranged a room for me back in town, which was not ideal as I wanted to get away from it all but at least they'd provided a back up option. They were very helpful in arranging me to get back to the other hotel, but I was disappointed to make all that effort and not get to stay in the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kate C
Suci L, Guest Relations Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear “Kate C

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review at tripadvisor.com.

We do apologize for inconvenience caused in regards of overbook caused of the error system held on that period. We were happy that you choose our resort and do hope we can accommodate you for your next future trip.

Please excepted our most sincere apologize and our commitment to hence the experience for all our guest. Once again, thanks you very much for your review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa.

Warmest regards,
All Management Puri Bunga Resort and Spa

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here a year ago. This year we returned with our 3 grandchildren (ages 11-15). We took two adjoining rooms. There have been some improvements since our last visit, and the office/reception area is much better. The Office manager Suci and her friendly helpful assistant Canis sorted out anything we needed.
The best rooms are in the newer block. I see reviews from people who have stayed in the Executive rooms 305 and 306 under the restaurant... these are two rooms with great views and private balconies but these rooms are also very old and in need of refurbishment.. avoid them!
The Executive rooms 304 and 312 are modern and clean.. with great views over the river valley.
I also see grumbles from people who think there should be on-demand free shuttles into Ubud.. There are two free services per day at 10am and 4 pm ... not bad for a hotel with 12 rooms! Taxi into town or back is only about US$4-5... we went into Ubud for dinner a few times and the taxi waited while we had dinner, then brought us back.. all for about US$10 .. not much to pay for the pleasant quiet location of the Puri Bunga!

Room Tip: Executive rooms no 304 and 312 are best, Avoid Executive rooms 305 and 306 until they are refurbishe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mturn
Suci L, Guest Relations Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Mr Mturn and all Family
It is always a pleasure to welcoming our loyal customer and we are happy to read that you extremely enjoyed your second stay with us. Thank you very much for your high credit to our team of staffs who were highly professional, friendly, sincere and always helpful.
We believe will positively solve the issue very soon.
We highly value your feedback and will liaise with various departments in the hotel to address the points you raised. I am committed to ensuring we resolve each point you have made. In our quest for excellence, we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of service by continuously appraising the standards of our products and services.
our commitment to using your feedback to enhance the experience for all of our guests. Once again thank you very much for your review and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again to Puri Bunga Resort and Spa as our family

The Management Puri Bunga Resort & Spa

Reviewed 20 July 2013

This place has some nice things about it. The view is beautiful and the location is quite nice because it is a little way out of town and so it is quiet and peaceful and relaxed. The first room we stayed in was nice enough and it was good value for money. The staff were really fantastic, very friendly and warm. Unfortunately we left this hotel very very disappointed and we would not recommend it and we would not return. The reason is because the second room we stayed in was not ok and the general manager did not deal with the issues adequately. We payed around $65 USD for a room with wifi and AC and mosquito nets. We would not normally spend that much in Bali but our baby was very sick and so we wanted her to be comfortable and away from mosquitoes and we needed wifi so that we could sort out our travel plan changes urgently because of our sick child. The Mosquito nets had giant gaping holes in them meaning she got bites, the wifi was not working at all and there was a tech guy trying to fix it but having no luck. The AC was broken and did not cool the room at all, in fact it kept us awake because it was making a loud noise and spilling water onto the floor next to our bed all night. Also there was some sort of rat in the room which crawled in through the giant hole in the mosquito net in the bathroom. This rat ate big bites out of the guest soaps and made noise and woke me up in the night. Now I understand that these things can happen and I tried to discuss it politely with the general manager of the hotel. He did not seem to understand that these were fairly unsatisfactory conditions for a mid to high end hotel room in Bali. He offered a very small discount and when I said I did not think it was reasonable he then got rude and basically tried to accuse me of lying. He said that he didn't believe the AC was really broken and thought I was wrong about that or making it up. Even though the girl at the desk had told me that they had sent a guy to try and fix it the day before because it had been broken. We ended up paying almost the full price for the room and I don't think that was reasonable in light of the issues. We could have found a very nice homestay with no AC and no Wifi for much much cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Miriam_and_Nick
Suci L, Guest Relations Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Mrs. Mariam and Mr. Nick,

Thanks you very much for your review and taking valued time to write a very comprehensive review and sharing your observation about your reason stay with us.
We have kindly note that you like our overall service, staff, the view and location.

Our motto is providing the best service to find our guest satisfaction.
We wish to take opportunities to clarify some issued that you raise in fact we've offer you upgrade to executive suite without any additional charged. We also offer you 15% discount and having deal with Mr. Nick as your husband and he was agree and appreciate our best offer as our sincere apologize.

Hereby we informed that our team ready to assist all our guest 24 hours and glad to announce that we just received Excellence certificate 2013 from Trip Advisor.

We highly valued your feedback and raise with various departments in the hotel to address the point you raised. We are committed to ensuring we resolved each point you have made in our quest for excellence, we are committing to providing with the highest quality of service by continuously pricing the standard of our product and service.

Warmest Regards,
The Management Puri Bunga Resort and Spa

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I picked up a last minute deal on Asia rooms. Previously I have stayed in closer to Ubud but thought it would be change to stay out of town. My welcome at Puri Bunga was warm and efficient. The grounds were beautiful and the view from the balconies was spectacular particularly in staying in one of the corner suites. The food at the restaurant was Ok but as their are no other restaurants within walking distance I ate there 3 nights. I would have tried some local Warungs but as I was already suffering a mild dose of Bali belly and was to trek Mt Agung I was prated to risk the Warungs the room I had was well presented and clean although as other reviewers have stated there is a problem with crawling ants in the room that had still not left during my stay. I did comment on this at checkout and was told many trees in the garden. It didn't bother me but I can certainly understand why others would be upset.

Room Tip: If you want the best view over the river and valley choose a corner suite
Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank geoffofulladulla
Suci L, Guest Relations Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thanks for staying at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa and sharing the review for our improvement.

We are glad to hearing that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and your shared would really help us for the next future however half of our resort based on garden area and we frequently having daily treatment with PSP treatment once week daily for the ant.

Once again thank you very much for your review and looking forward to seeing you again at our resort.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We got a voucher deal online for $180 which included 3 nights, dinner for two, 1 hour massage for two and a 15 minute foot massage for two.

When we arrived we got an 'upgrade' to the Executive suite but the room was tired and right under the restaurant. We saw the other rooms and they looked much nicer than ours. It was clean though. The first night we could hear an animal running across the restaurant floor which I told them the day after and they said it was probably a cat. We didn't hear it again. Every morning from 7 am you can hear the chairs being moved across the floor which was a shame when trying to sleep in!

The food was pretty ordinary. I wish they could give a couple of options for the dinner included. It was crispy duck which I don't like. Would have been happy with just Nasi Goreng! My husband liked it though. The breakfast was ok but again, no option for the Indonesian breakfast. We had Mie Goreng but tasted like day old food. The breakfast menu says Nasi Goreng so was nice to actually get it the next time instead of the noodles. They should really do the restaurant up with some nicer furniture. The hotel is not that big so you don't need all that space set up. Just get some really nice pieces and make it cosy.

The spa was nice and we went in the afternoon which was very peaceful. They advertise that you get 50% off treatments with our package and then at reception it has 2 for 1 but after one of our massages the lady tried to negotiate a 30% off deal. I was disappointed she did this as it was advertised differently.

The hotel is too far to walk to Ubud so it would be good if they offered a free shuttle anytime, not just at 10 am every day. The hotel is only small and not a long drive so it wouldn't be a big thing to offer it to guests. We hired a motorbike so we could get around easily.

There is also a lot of stairs so if you have trouble walking, this is not the place to stay. There is a lot of potential here and it would be good if they did it up a bit. I won't go back but it was cheap and all the staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Stay with a Deluxe Suite!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple