“Unprecedented expectations of Bali”

Puri Bunga Resort and Spa
Ranked #377 of 653 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 11 nights on our honeymoon this time last year (2013). I have just checked the prices for this year and they are very comparable and much better than the two other hotels we stayed at on the tropical island for the quality and service that we experienced. If available I'd go for the Executive Suite for a small amount more per night. The staff all gave 100% all of the time to do anything that could make our stay live up to expectations. All my expectations had been superseded on our first night. From the initial charming email I received from receptionist, Suci, to confirm our reservation and that they would endeavour to accommodate my request to put us in a first floor (2nd floor in USA speak) room to being gladly welcomed at Denpasar airport by a driver they had organised to meet us. I was so glad to see the driver as we were being overwhelmed by porters, legitimate money changers in booths and taxi drivers. Don't get me wrong there was no bad feelings it was just extremely full on compared to where we live in country Australia. So our taxi drive began. We arrived after being taught a smattering of Bahasa by our driver to be welcomed with a cool drink at reception and were made to feel at home by the wonderful and friendly manager Wayan. There was a thunderstorm above as a porter carried our luggage to our room. The room was amazing, cathedral ceiling, marble tile walls and floors throughout a wonderfully welcoming looking bed covered in flower petals ('Puri Bunga' translates to 'Flower Castle') and towels that had been folded to resemble two swans which met to form a heart, how appropriate for a honeymoon! As we found the restaurant we were greeted by wonderful staff at every meal. Marie was very friendly and was happy to chat in English with us. The food was always wonderful and room service efficient and as we found the restaurant great for breakfast with an amazing view. We often saw White-water Rafters going past at the bottom of the gorge -it's a long way down, but they sounded like they were having an amazing time and as we later discovered it was so much fun! There are 2 pools, the infinity pool at the bottom of the resort was next to the Spa where we were offered a couples 2 hr massage for half price. 17.5 AUD for 2 adults for 2 hours! There was always an empty pool to choose from. I think there were only 10 rooms at this resort so it never felt 'busy'. You have to get a driver to get into Ubud and there is no night life nearby, so it's not a party resort by any stretch, but we didn't want that and the view is so spectacular over to a Ugung (Volcano) you cant simply move it any closer to the city centre! The best hotel we've ever stayed in and our beautiful Oasis on 'Millionaire's Row' in the hectic environs of the craziness of beautiful Bali. If we ever go back to Bali we will definitely want to stay here again :)

Room Tip: As far as I am aware there was no fitness centre when we stayed here, so I have left it blank.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ali W

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed only 1 night here with my friends but it was memorable.
the first thing i admire about this resort is the view! OMG i think i can spend a whole day to stare at the beautiful hill and river just right behind the resort! fresh air and quiet surrounding was relaxing!
we took an executive room. i thought it was room no.306. it's very spacious and nice. overlooking the hills and just right under the resto.however, the furniture was old. the bed frame was a bit damaged, the sofa was out of date and the bathtub (jacuzzi) wasn't working. but it's ok with me as i got a very cheap rate :)
it was very very creepy at night in my room! believe it or not, i heard a knocking on my door and the AC is suddenly turned off by itself at around 1 AM! this is not a joke.
the breakfast was decent. I choose Nasi Goreng and it was delicious.
but when i order menu for lunch, it took like forever to be served! soooo lonngggg!
the wifi was absolute zero! also the signal from any provider was gone in this resort. very weak! but as you step outta the resort, the signal will be ok! :)
the loc is a bit far from Ubud center (city). it takes around 15 mins driving to the city.
last thing, the staffs are friendly and polite. i appreciate their good service.
overall i love to stay here and will come back in the future but not in the room 306! i will choose room 314 because i think it's the nicest room!

Room Tip: choose room 314 if you can choose :) best room with best view in my honest opinion!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RickRockss
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had 5 nights there recently and really enjoyed it. The location is great with a wonderful view down the valley to the river below. The grounds are very pretty and with only a small number of rooms it was never busy which meant we could always relax in peace and quiet. The executive suites are spacious with a wonderful view.

We felt that a lot of things showed their age a fair bit, however noting the very reasonable price and the great setting and location it was easy enough to overlook any problems.

Yes it is about 5km from Ubud but with the free shuttle or having to pay barely $5 that is very little price to pay for the benefits that Puri Bunga provide. It is quite an easy walk to go about half way to Ubub and have a good selection of cafes, bars and restaurants which we did 3 or 4 times.

I have no problem recommending this hotel, noting that the price for what you get well and truly outweighs any negatives.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bruce2015
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After a nice experience in 2013, I came back in march 2014. And it was always fantastic. Nice room,nice swimming pool, and wonderful staff. First words when I arrive were : "Welcome to your second house" and I was really like that.
I think I will come back a third time! I am travelling a lot, and I can really say that it's a good place, not too expensive and so quiet after Ubud center noise!...
Massages are amazing and if you need a driver, ask for Wayan Tubek.He drives very well, very quiet.
Have a nice stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sylvie D
Wayan S, General Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Sylvie
We are very happy to hear that your 2th stay at PURI BUNGA RESORT & SPA was again another fantastic and relaxing holidays. I am also happy to read that all staffs without exception looked after you very well, always friendly and went beyond their way to ensure your holiday is perfect.

My self and all team members are very excited and look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Warmest regards,
Wayan Sudarma General Manager Puri Bunga Resort & Spa

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Puri Bunga Resort is a bit way from central Ubud and not exactly within walking distance, but the resort offers a shuttle once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Other than the distance from town, our stay at the resort was perfect. The room was nice, the wifi worked well, the staff very friendly and the view from the room and from the restaurant fabulous. The pools were perfect for cooling down and for swimming under the Bali stars. We stayed there for five days and would have stayed longer had they not been completely booked up. It is easy to see why they would be, so book early.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkrYuma
Wayan S, General Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear KKr Yuma
we are very happy to hear that you have just had a wonderful experience and the most relaxing holiday at PURI BUNGA RESORT & SPA ,Our commitment is to deliver a truly memorable experience with genuine sincere service. we are pleased to know that you like our room and the restaurant view also our team members looked after you very well.

The entire team and I look forward to welcoming you back to PURI BUNGA RESORT & SPA on your future trip to the island of Bali.

Wayan sudarma General Manager Puri Bunga Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Sitting here as I write this from the restaurant ... Total people here 1 (me)
Nowhere does it tell you there is no alcohol served in restaurant or anywhere on premises, which at dinner is ridiculous! Internet dodgy at best even in common areas & location way too far away from shops & markets.
Very disappointed & will check out early & suck up the fact I lose $$ - just dont want to be here!

• Stayed: April 2014
Wayan S, General Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Brony2014
Thank you very much for taking your valued time to share your review of your visit . We regret to hear that some part of our services were not meeting your individual expectation. We encourage and appreciate all guests to share their review in immediate time so that we can address the every concern immediately. whit peace and tranquility Puri Bunga Resort & Spa come with 24 hour service to be ready to assist all the guest for the information which my require We also highly appreciate your feedback on the WIFI connection and Restaurant menu where we will immediately discuss with related department .we highly value your feedback and will liaise with various departments in the hotel to address the points you raised and we are committed to ensuring we resolve each point you have made. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your future Bali vacation

Wayan Sudarma General manager Puri Bunga Resort & Spa

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed in the Puri Bunga recently for four nights.

The room was a standard one with a four poster bed and big bathroom. The only issue was the aircon seemed to be on a timer and at night would switch on and off. It was difficult to sleep because it would get quite hot whilst it was off. Other than that the room was clean, comfortable and a bargain really for the price which we booked through wotif.

There is two pools we mainly went to the one which looked out over the river. The one time we went to the other pool my boyfriend cut his foot on the tiles in the pool which have not been maintained and some are sharp and jagged. The hotel had a first aid kit which was all but empty apart from some cotton wool and alcohol. So I would probably stick to the pool overlooking the river.

The location is about a 10 minute drive from ubud so depending on what you want that can be a blessing if you want some peace and quiet but there are not too many places to get food near the hotel so a trip to the centre is needed. The have a free shuttle but it only runs twice a day at 10am and 4pm.

The biggest down fall for us was breakfast. The give you a choice between 4 set breakfasts. I'm not a big meat eater so mainly stuck to the continental breakfast which was a small plate of fruit, two slices of consistently cold toast, 1 stale croissant and a mini muffin. My boyfriend tried the puri bunga full breakfast which was meant to be like a western fry but he really disliked the frankfurter style sausage and tiny piece of bacon. Eggs were fine but again served with cold toast. I do not know what was happening with the coffee it was like fitter coffee that had not been filtered. Therefore half your cup was brown sludge and it tasted horrendous. The worst coffee I have ever tasted. The instant in the room was 100 times better. We left breakfast everyday hungry and disappointed. The view from breakfast was the best part which really is beautiful.

We never tried dinner in the restaurant because if they couldn't get the toast right we didn't have much confidence in anything else.

Overall for the price we were really happy but probably wouldn't stay again mainly because of the breakfast.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Wayan S, General Manager at Puri Bunga Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Ariel89893
Thank you very much for taking your valued time to share your review of your visit ,We regret to hear that some part of our services were not meeting your individual expectation. We encourage and appreciate all guests to share their review in immediate time so that we can address the every concern immediately. we highly value your feedback and will liaise with various departments in the hotel to address the points you raised and we are committed to ensuring we resolve each point you have made. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your future Bali vacation.

Wayan sudarma General Manager Puri Bunga Resort & Spa