“Christmas at puri bunga”

Puri Bunga Resort and Spa

Reviewed 14 November 2009

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We stayed at Puri Bunga for 3 nights and although it wasn't a nightmare, it wasn't anything to write home about either. Yes, the views from the restaurant terrace and some balconies were awesome, but it is not very conveniently located for Ubud central - but the hotel offers a free shuttle in the morning and afternoon. Getting back general did not cost us the world, but we were generally charged between Rp40,000 and Rp60,000.
The rooms were okay with nice bed linnen but oldish towels, but the rooms were a little damp although that might be hard to avoid in Ubud. Aircon worked fine.
The main problem we had was with service. The people were absolutely lovely and willing to help, but generally their english was so poor we could hardly order a cup of tea from the restaurant or make sure our taxi would be there on time to take us to our bus to our next destination!
Also, we had prebooked online and no one could find our reservation at check-in: 2 people who shared our taxi and who had not booked at all were suddenly given priority and got into a room 45mins before we did and the staff just let us wait until they sorted out our booking! That certainly was not nice after travelling for about 10 hours from the Gili islands ...
We were also told the main pool was broken, although it looked like it was okay. The other pool that was working properly was not so inviting and looked like it could do with some cleaning and minatenance.
These things are all not massive problems, but with the cheapest rooms starting at aorund US$65 we think you can get something better at a better location for that money.
Nice touches were the free afternoon tea (that is, if they understand what you're ordering), free 15min foot massage (bit of a try to sell you spa services, but still) and the breakfast was included and okay. Wifi was free, but only worked at reception, which is a bit of a hike from our room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ivoandanna
Reviewed 2 March 2009

The hotel is situated in a beautiful tropical décor, overlooking mountains, valley and river. Room nice and roomy. Nice outdoor shower, but I was a bit concerned that the window and bedroom door facing the outdoor area have no locks, I get the feeling it can be broken in quite easily from the wooden lattice at top of the outdoor area. The place is very relaxing but quite isolated. Not easy to communicate with staff at the reception in English, but nevertheless they are all nice and respectful people. Watch the guy with the green 4x4 occasionally at the reception, hire him if you want to get ripped off, he asked me Rp 800, 000.00 for a half day tour. Breakfast quite meager.
You can see in picture N0 3 the bedroom window & door I am talking about & the lattice at the top of the outdoor area.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Bland on 1 st impression. even a bit spooky as we arrive late.. Reception counter just a table. BUT STAFF are courteous n always ready to assist yet unobtrusive. Stayed 2 nights in deluxe room. View of Sg Ayung n surrounding valley breathtaking especially in the misty early morning.. Felt real good just taking in deep inhalation. Both bedrom , bathroom are hugh. Jacuzzi works well. Guessed staff made effort to clear the swimming pool ( quite small tho) of fallen leaves n debris prior to our arrival. Cud see young naked children frolicking in the river as well as rafters.in the evening. Moved over to standard superior room as other had prebooked on 3rd night.. Staff did well to clean up before we change over.,. breakfast however simple toast, eggs, fruit, beverage daily.. Only setback it's distance to ubud market. We did some trekking once n arrive main bazaar after 40 mins walk.. quite fun to do it once. Along the way there'll be transport offers ranging 10000-20000baht for 2 person 1 way.
They also oblige with late check out n even showering in one of the room. Great stay ! Luv it !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank june31
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I honestly do not know how there are any positive reviews about this hotel. First of all when I arrived with my partner they had no idea who I was because my name was not on any booking list. “Not to worry”, they said, “we have room”....Of course they had room, no one could possibly want to stay there.
The pool was BROWN and I mean there could have been ducks in it brown! My lovely driver inquired about the state of the pool, to which the reply was "we don't use that pool anymore"... You don't say! There are, however, pictures of this pool (as being clean) when you book online. There was another pool that was clean (or rather cleaner) because I am sure it would not have met safety standards.
The rooms were damp and smelt rotten with very little natural light. The only good thing about the place is the view, ah the view could take your breath away... but let’s not kid ourselves, one nice view is not worth a brown pool and cave-like room.
Needless to say, I did not stay at this hotel. It was too awful (and I have stayed in some pretty bad hotels in Ubud) and too far from the town centre.
I must say that the company we booked through were very helpful and refunded my deposit since the Puri Bunga did not have my booking. So this review is nothing bad against the travel company, I believe they themselves are being misled with out of date photos (the pool pictures they have are certainly not septic tank coloured).
All in all, I would suggest you only stay at this hotel if you do not mind a dank room, hate swimming and wish to enjoy a view. The cheap deals for this place exist because of its condition and they are obviously desperate to keep guests coming despite the place slowly falling apart.
Alas, I have no pictures to show you as I left as soon as I had been shown a room (that is to day after my partner insisted I at least see a room after I went running back to the car upon sighting the pool, really I harp on because it was that bad, believe me).

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Travelbug383
Reviewed 27 August 2007

The place is about a 5 min drive from central Ubud.

The trick to staying here is to patronise outlets which provide shuttle services from your hotel. A majority of the restaurants and spas will help get you to their outlet and safely back to your hotel at no additional charge.

A private taxi ride for some nearby shopping and sightseeing will cost roughly Rp20,000.

The rooms are clean and huge. My Deluxe Suite included a jacuzzi!

Wonderful view of Ayung River, with rafters going by at about 11am daily.

Staff were helpful and totally unobtrusive. They were even willing to give us a late check-out of 5pm!

Definitely a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gregyoon-kl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Bunga Permai Hotel
#2 of 4 in Kedewatan
Puri Saron Hotel
Puri Saron Hotel
#7 of 12 in Gianyar

Been to Puri Bunga Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!