“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Perth
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at Wapa Di Ume for five nights in February 2013. My sister travelled with us also. We all found this to be a delightful experience. It is in a glorious setting. The rooms are great. The staff are friendly and obliging. The shuttle bus into Ubud was regular and reliable. Breakfasts were everything you could want. Given the number of rooms it is not buffet, but you could not ask for more to select from, all cooked fresh to your order. No TV. Free WIFI. Swimming pool atmospheric. Would we stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: We occupied the two upper rooms furthest from the lobby. They were fantastic. However all looked goo...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed in the hotel for two nights (25 Feb & 26 Feb) before heading to Seminyak.I waited a while to write this review as I wanted to give a more balanced view of my experience. I would rather have given this place 3 and a half stars, it aspires to be a top class resort (with prices to match) however it just slightly falls short in its buildings and rooms. The service made up for it, otherwise I would have dropped the rating even further.

The resort staff provided good service and so did the manager who greeted us at breakfast and recommended several places for us to visit during the daytime. The hotel also provided a shuttle service every hour from the town area which was about 1.5km/2km from our hotel, which was definitely helpful for those nights when our driver wasn't around and we wanted to wonder the shopping areas and have dinner. I really cannot fault their service much. I didn't eat in the hotel but I found their cook to order breakfast very good, with western as well as Indonesian options on the menu. They also used much better quality food products, with the exception of their sausages. This is in comparison to the other hotel I stayed in La Villais in Seminyak.

What let them down severely were other factors:
1) The resort I believe was built in about 1996, and its showing signs of wear and tear, looks tired and needs refurbishment. The main sliding doors to the room should have less of a gap to the wall to prevent noise as well as animals getting in.
2) You should only stay here if you are at one with nature, meaning you can sleep through the sounds from the frogs, birds, tropical surroundings etc and you are not squeamish about creepy crawlies and animals in your room. In my two night stay, I encountered a 2 inch cockroach which made me leap off the toilet bowl, 7 other cockroaches after the hotel sprayed the room in the morning but failed to clear the still crawling/running cockroaches from the bathroom before my return, 1 lizard (which is fairly common in Asia), some millipedes (from the ceiling) and a frog. Given that I was only there for two nights, I was beginning to think that one of the staff members was abit of a prankster, it was just too much of a coincidence. Their housekeeping became my personal animal control unit. Aside from the first cockroach they got to me within 10mins each time. It made me fairly nervous to enter my bathroom as I just wasn't sure what I would find. I actually slept badly for both nights as I kept wondering what animal might possibly crawl into my bed.
3) Aside from the tropical noises in the night (which is perfectly understandable), what I really couldn't get my head around was the construction noise which went on past 9:30pm, and we were told that it sometimes went on till 10.30pm.
4) Whilst they were very good at getting the unwanted animal visitors out of my room, and given I was paying for two persons stay & breakfast, for single occupancy for myself, would it have been too much to ask, for them to offer to upgrade my room even for one night given the problems I encountered. To be absolutely fair, the manager has apologised and offered to upgrade me on my next stay, which I felt was a little too late.

Room Tip: If you can get a second floor room it might help with the animal issues, however I understand they a...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank suchness
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed from 3-8 March 2013 and it was just what was needed. We left the kids at home and stayed the 5 nights in a Lanai Terrace room looking over the rice paddies. Just beautiful. There's no TV in the room (fine by us) however there's free WiFi to keep in touch with family back home. There was building works going on next to the resort however you could only really hear when you were down by the pool. We had breakky most mornings (good coffee) but towards the end of the trip were pretty tired of eating given some of the great restaurants in Ubud. The staff are just great - Gusti and Resep were just lovely and helped us organise a cycling tour (Bail Bike Baik) and a motorbike for cruising around Ubud (recommended if you don't want to stick to the shuttle timetable!). If you're looking for peace and quiet this is the place. It's about 1.5km from the centre of Ubud so you won't get the hustle and bustle up here. It was great for us and we really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KirstynPaul
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

The resort was absolutely perfect! We are a family of 6 (4 young kids) and took a villa with private pool - was stunning! Rooms were so big, beds luxurious and the setting was truly magical. The staff were fantastic and super friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We did a cooking class there - which was great, but the private table setting in the gardens were even better! We only got to see the new resort on our last morning there as they were renovating right through our stay but honestly, there was no disruption at all. The shuttle was great, and we really appreciated being a little further out of the centre, amidst the rice fields. Would definitely recommend this resort, and hopefully I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: The villas with private pools are absolute luxury. Defiinitely worth the money.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

We couldn't decide between the Waka Di Ume and the Uma Ubud for our stay in Ubud, so ended up spending a few nights at each. Both were fantastic, but overall I preferred the atmosphere of the Waka, which was a far smaller, simpler and rustic set-up in comparison with the sleeker and more sophisticated Uma Ubud.

We stayed in the two storey family pool villa, which was gorgeous. We adults slept upstairs - kingsize fourposter bed and balcony overlooking the paddy fields - and our two children were downstairs with a double fourposter each. Each room has its own beautiful semi-open air bathroom and the little walled garden with private pool opens out onto the paddy fields - expect visits from the occasional chicken or duck and plenty of tiny frogs! A word of warning - you have to go outside and up/downstairs to get from one bedroom to the other so the villa may not be suitable for families with small children. Also, because the bathrooms are open and above one another, all sounds will travel, which might be an issue if you are considering booking this villa for an older family group or two couples...

'Di Ume' apparently means 'in the rice fields' and the hotel certainly lives up to its name. The setting is extraordinarily lovely, and very tranquil. I had wanted a room with a view over paddy fields, and couldn't fault the one we got. By day we could sit by the pool and watch life going on in the fields outside, by night on the balcony listening to the chirruping of the frogs and other wildlife. Definitely worth doing is the early morning rice paddy trek, involving a walk through the village past the schools where all the children are arriving on their scooters (senior school) or sweeping the schoolyard with twig brooms (primary school), down the gorge and through the paddies as the sun burns through the dawn mist. Do wear long trousers and plenty of insect repellent though!

In addition to this (free) trek, we also booked a daytrip around central Bali through the hotel. The hotel has an arrangement with the villagers to provide tours,and payment is made directly to them so that your money goes to help the local community. We hired a driver for the day to take us to Mount Batur, via a few temples and a trip to coffee and spice plantation, which was very good value ( although we did, of course, make a few purchases at the plantation, which I am sure pays commission...)

We didn't eat any meals other than breakfast at the hotel, but that was delicious with plenty of choice. They also offer complimentary afternoon tea, taken crosslegged on the floor upstairs at the restaurant looking out over the fields.

The only downside of the Waka is that it is a good 20 minutes walk out of central Ubud, so not ideal if you want to be able to wander in and out of town easily. The shuttle into town is fine, but on a couple of occasions we had a problem coming back at night because there were too many guests wanting a lift at the same time. The journey is only a few minutes by car so waiting for the car to come back for a second load is not a big problem, but being expected to cram everyone in without seatbelts/on laps etc definitely is (for me at least).

The outstanding positives are the fabulous, peaceful setting and the fantastic, charming and helpful hotel staff.

Ubud itself was a bit of a disappointment for us. We had very fond memories of our last trip here 20 years ago, when the Monkey Forest Road was just a dirt track. Now the centre of town is permanently clogged with traffic, Starbucks has set up store and, for us, the town has lost its quirky charm. I probably won't be coming back, but if I do then I will definitely stay at the Waka again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank indiaeaster11
ManagementWakadiume, Public Relations Manager at Wapa di Ume Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for your valued time while you stayed at our resort. It is great pleasure in serving you at a very different resort in Ubud.

We look forward to welcoming back you again at Wapa di Ume Resort
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Currently undergoing a rebrand this boutique hotel is a calm retreat from busy Ubud. With wonderful views to enjoy and spacious rooms the hotel is a great base for your inland stay. We stayed here for just 3 nights and with no tv or music docking stations that's about as long as I could do but it was enjoyable just the same. Not as polished as your big resorts and when you compare the prices maybe the value needs work, but a great complimentary massage (the best on this trip), lovely views, friendly staff and a reasonable restaurant, it's worth considering.

3 Thank Clare R
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We highly recommend this hotel. We have enjoyed our stay very much and it exceeded our (high) expectations. The area is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful and the staff is extraordinary.

You should choose this hotel if you want to relax (swim, read, walk) and enjoy the peaceful surroundings for walks. The views are beautiful. You should not book this hotel if you are seeking active entertainment because it takes a drive to Ubud and the hotel is a bit isolated. For us the chaos with dogs, noise and exhaust fumes made us happy to stay outside Ubud.

The food in the hotel is quite good and the prices are exceptable. Some reviews call it expensive but this is not my opinion. Main dishes are around 100.000idr (8€ or 10us$). In Ubud the same quality might be 20% cheaper. Wine prices are ok but beer was indeed quite expensive. Twice as expensive as in Ubud (75.000idr for a large Bintan beer)

Staff is very friendly and flexible. Breakfast was always adapted to our wishes with no extra charges. Room service is perfect at no extra charge.

Most rooms are simply beautiful, to avoid are the rooms 14 and 15. Actually they are part of the Villa but will not give any view. As these rooms are connecting they are also noisy.

To improve: a fan in the room and restaurant would be nice (we do not want ac all the time). Further is would be nice is small snacks and water bottles could be bought at the resort.

For us it was wonderful and I do not recognize complaint from other reviews. But in general these complaints seem to be from people who should have booked different types if hotels (downtown or international chain hotels).

• Stayed February 2013