“Good for the price”

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Ranked #66 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 14 July 2011

You must stay in a Raja room. Even these may or may not have AC and a fridge.
The beds are as hard as rocks, I had to sleep on 3 pillows.
The rooms are cleaned by men so what can you expect, they are not the cleanest.
But this is Bali and it was cheap compared to the rest.
We got what we paid for.
There is no coffee in the room as noted in our sales broshure.
But overall we enjoyed our stay,the ambience was good and we enjoyed the breakfast

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mechman48

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Got a room there for a night as saw really good reviews from other website but it was not that great! Our room got pretty good view looking down the pool and a lotus pond. However, as many travellers chose this hotel so had to wait quite a bit to check in. The Internet only worked at the reception area. The SPA with too many details in design would give somebody nightmare. And the way to get there would hurt your feet and not easy to get in the hot pool. If you are young and strong then choose this place as it was quite hard to get down the pool and SPA then get back up your room at a higher level.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank LKBKK
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed here in feb for our honeymoon
We wanted to stay somewhere a bit nicer then the average hotel for a few nights, and this is where the travel agent reccommended.

The room was filthy and had lots of black mould and grime, the "spa bath" was just a bricked square shaped bath and filthy.
We only ate in the hotel and I would not reccomend it
Our first dinner there my husband ordered imported "Aussie" steak, he commented that it tasted a little odd and didn't finish it, but the next day he very very ill.

My husband refused to stay there another night and booked us into our next hotel 3 nights early.
We went on the internet and read a comment on trip advisor that someone seen staff carrying buckets of spring water into the kitchen.
He told me not to eat the food anymore, I though't he was just being over cautious
But on the day of leaving I had a rice dish that tasted like it had been cooked in mud water, and on our way to the next hotel I too became very ill :(

Needless to say we were both very very ill for the following week,
This place made a whole week of our honeymoon a nightmare.

Although the views, gardens and wildlife are beautifull we were both glad to be out of there.
And I don't mind bugs but waking up with what looked like a leech on the bed was a little gross even for me.
Some of the staff working in the garden were also quite rude and several harrassed us for transport

Room Tip: Not reccomended
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cherie_Aaron
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We loved Tjampuhan! I lead a group of 22 people from around the world on a 21 day trip to Indonesia. We stayed at Tjampuhan the last five nights of our trip and it was a wonderful way to end our adventure. The hotel grounds are beautiful with ponds and pools and countless beautiful views of the valley. Be aware that there are MANY steps to get anywhere within the resort, so I would not recommend it for people with small children or problems with steps. I found the steps and winding paths to be part of the charm of the resort.

The resort is located a bit out of the central shopping area in Ubud, but we walked it many times and also found the hotel shuttle to be very efficient -- once you figure out all the drop-off and pick up times and places, which vary based on the day of the week. It would be nice to have a later pick-up in the evening, but that wasn't ever really a problem because there are so many taxis and scooters that you can hire for only a dollar or two to take you back to Tjampuhan, if you want to return later than the shuttle runs.

The front desk staff was very helpful relative to making reservations at area spas and restaurants. They also a great job of holding our luggage for late departures, which was really nice because there were so many of us and we all left at different times throughout our last day there.

The restaurant was very good, though we didn't eat there too often because there so many wonderful places to eat in Ubud. The breakfast buffet was good -- especially the banana crepes!!

I highly recommend Tjampuhan if you are looking for a laid back, relaxing, beautiful environment for your base while exploring central Bali.

Room Tip: Raja Rooms have AC and great views
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank NancyExplores
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This place is breathtaking, the grotto spa, the sauna, the pools and architecture is just beautiful, however, its our rooms were really dirty. I would not stay there just due to that. I felt really uncomfortable using the bathroom, which was mouldy and unacceptable. The curtain was putrid. We stayed in a Raja Room, which had a small bar fridge that must have been 30 years old with black mould all over the seal and the fridge itself was filthy. Needless to say we did not use it. We had air conditioning which was ok. The views from our balcony were spectacular and I had no problems dealing with all the natural bugs and creatures that hung around the room, it was just the unnecessary state of decay in the room that spoiled the experience for me. The bed in the room was carved out of wood and was a piece of art to say the least. It is such a shame that they have let this place go as it could be a five star attraction but it falls short unfortunately.. Peeling paint, suspect towels and bed linen?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank renjez
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Fabulous location. Easy walk to centre of Ubud if you miss the free shuttle.
Stairs can be a killer... If you are not fit ask for a room near the road.
Magical gardens and the rooms are still more "Bali-ish" than many of the newer hotels.
We will go here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Byfieldfarm
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at the Tjampuhan hotel, with the previous time being 10 years prior. The staff is helpful, and the resort gardens are lush and certainly remind you that you are in the tropics. Breakfast was included but could have been better. As a note, the room that I stayed in did not have air conditioning nor TV. This was fine because the room is cool at night and if I had a TV, I would have spent more time in the room, which was not the purpose of my trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple