“Tropical Paradise”

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Ranked #65 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would describe Hotel Tjampuhan Spa as my "happy place" having visited briefly in 2012 and being so impressed I had to take my friends back in 2013 so they could understand how good it was in Ubud.

The hotel is beautiful and the food in the restaurant exquisite. The setting is truly an area of outstanding natural beauty and it is conveniently placed for excursions e.g. Elephants and rafting.

One word of advice when staying here is that certain members of the staff can be very pushy in trying to secure your business. Say you wanted a trip to see the volcano; a member of staff would offer to arrange it for you for 500,000 rupiah when you could just flag down a taxi and have it for 200,000. I found one member of staff especially pushy when I was trying to organise a trip to Padang Bai. He would not leave me alone despite the fact I found alternative transport when I got there would have been 500% cheaper. Fortunately I was wise to their game so he got nothing from me, but an unwary traveller could be misled!

I would happily return to Tjampuhan Spa. If I ever get married I think it would make a fantastic honey moon destination. I could not be happier with this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 637Anon
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Have stayed in lots of the hotels in Ubud. This is a good one. Quiet and away from busy road.

Pura 2 is a great room. Very nice decor. Balcony facing east and great spot for sunbathing after breakfast. Don't mind no TV but really need kettle+tea+coffee maker. After the door locked, still can open a gap. Not safe. Have to block the door with a chair.

The location is good. Only 10mins walk to ubud town. Have free shuttle bus to town too.

Don't mind the steps at all. As the hotel is built on hill facing river stream. There are 2 swimming pools with natural spring water (1 of them).

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. Most of them speak simple English.

If you have coffee and tea at the pool (breakfast time) is FOC.

Will come back again.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Daymondyeo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

While I spent my nights at the lovely Suly Resort and Spa I treated myself to a most exotic and beautiful day at this spectacular spa. The Tjampuhan Spa is a space of beauty that I found unmatched in Ubud. Tjampuhan spa provides a welcoming environment for the luxery guests and the more budget spa visitors(like me:) The hotel/spa is terraced from the heights of the lobby into the deep ravine where the Spa is located. The hot and cold pools are set amidst cave like structures of carved monkeys and other flora and fauna that put you in a primal world. I met expat/locals in the hot pool who swore by the place and said they came weekly- I wish I had that lifestyle. I am not one to indulge in massage too much- I would rather be at a museum or be seeing the sites- but this place was so lovely and the massage was so comforting and deep. You end up in a bathtub in the open air full of flowers listening to the river looking at the steep wall of ferns on the other side of the river and you wonder how $45 could have ever bought you this feeling of being so pampered. You can spend way less to just take in the waters- but I suggest you give into the full treatment. I was in Ubud for a month and everyone is offering you a massage- I looked at others and tried one other- but if you love nature and a subtle quality - nothing else is going to come close.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank erianthe
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here 3 yrs ago with a girl friend, so wanted to stay with my husband this time as it's quite a treasure trove. Full of history, tho it's crumbling off the side of the mountain in places. The spa cave with it's hot & ice pools, fully carved in frogs & water animals is a must do while staying and a real feature to the resort. The paths all through the resort on the side of the hill with views to the river below needs to be used - a lot! Early morning and late afternoon are best.

Our room was HUGE and the bed impressive. The bathroom was disgusting. Must have been done in the 1950's or 60s at best. We changed rooms - to find the bathroom just a little better. Maybe the 1970's ... Broken tiles, water around the floor under the toilet - musty disgusting smells coming from it all the time.

Take the good with the bad tho and we could get past this.
Total private gorgeous bungalow + Great breakfasts in a stunning area + amazing views to feast your eyes on all the time.

Room Tip: If you hate your bathroom - ask to move before checking in / unpacking ;)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you are looking for a fancy place to stay then this is not the place, but if you are looking to relax after the hustle and bustle of the beach, then this is the place to be.
We stayed for 2 nights 19th & 20th August it was my second time and it had not changed at all - which is what I was looking for. The balcony looking over the river and the rising sun every day, the pool and the grotto spa pool is so lovely and relaxing. I had a spa treatment this time and the massage was amazing.
This place is authentically Bali and has a wonderful feeling about it, is great value for money and very private. I highly recommend it for a unique Bali experience.
Ask the staff to tell you about all the famous people who have stayed there - a daily shuttle takes you into Ubud's madness daily.

Room Tip: We stayed in Gunung 6 which is close to reception and the wireless internet which was great
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dorothy R
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel is in a good location and despite its age it does have a certain charm. However, unlike most Bali establishments, it is let down by its lack of service and care by its plentiful staff. We arrived quite early and were prepared to wait but, despite numerous enquiries, were left to wait with no expiation or suggestions. The staff were not at all accommodating and even lacked the ability to smile. Eventually left for a long walk and arrived back after 2 PM only to find our room still not ready. Booked and paid six months in advance but the room allocated was in a dreadful location beside a brick wall looking over a roof. Certainly not the room booked and eventually, after discussion with their friendly and decisive manager, changed to another where the hot water and air conditioner did not work but this was eventually rectified. During our last night the fridge stopped and we woke to saturated blankets and bedding. Again more apologies.
We accept we probably just had a bit of bad luck but booking and paying so far in advance one would expect better treatment.

Room Tip: If you book in advance expect a good room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I would have to agree with most of reviews I have read on here. the location of this hotel is perfect for day trips and shopping, and the free shuttle bus was even nice enough to drop us of out of there way to do some extra shopping. we got married at tjampuhan and they made us feel so welcome and set up wedding beautifully, could not have asked for any better. they have the friendliest staff I have ever met. the rooms are pretty basic but the scenery makes up for that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family