“Beautiful hotel surrounded by trees”

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Ranked #66 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is set on the side of a hill, surrounded by trees. It is very beautiful. The carvings around are amazing and the spa is so different. The pool was an ok size however it was quiet around the pool when we were there as the water was cold. I don't think people are really in Ubud to stay by the pool. There is so much to do in Ubud and it is about a 10 minute walk. Be careful though, we walked home after dinner one evening. There was no lighting in some parts and the pavements are just concrete slabs. We fell down a hole and got our feet trapped between the slabs. We were trapped and some very nice Indonesian men had to help us! We really hurt ourselves so be warned! The staff were very helpful and attentive. The restaurant was a bit disappointing and breakfast was ok. The rooms are big but basic. On the whole a good, traditional place to stay but not if you are after something western.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is our second time at this hotel. It is in a great location so you can walk into town or catch the free shuttle bus. The rooms are spacious and clean and look out over the rainforest. Breakfast is my favourite part of the day. The chef will make you a fresh omelette with the ingredients for your choice. The banana pancakes are delicious! Be prepared to climb lots of steps, but this helps with calorie burning after all the eating that you do. Pool area is lovely too.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenny T
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have recently returned from Bali and stayed at the Tjampuhan Hotel and Spa for my entire stay - 10 days - as I wanted to stay away from the coast and experience the inland region. The Hotel was beautiful, clean as a whistle, staff were friendly and helpful, the spa was a treat - hot and cold pools, steam and dry sauna ,and the massage which included a body scrub, yoghurt cream finish rub and a bath with oils and flower petals - just wonderful. I spent 1/2 a day at the spa for about $60 AUD. The stone carving everywhere were amazing. My room was cleaned daily by friendly, smiling staff who left red hybiscus and white frangipani everywhere - from the hotel gardens which were absolutely beautiful. I had room service meals at a very affordable price but also ate at the restaurant with its views over the valley. Breakfast was a buffet with lots of choices and an 'egg station' where eggs were cooked just as you requested. Older or less mobile people could find the steps around the hotel a bit difficult but for those who are capable, the views were ample compensation. Both of the swimming pools were just gorgeous - one being a natural spring. The hotel also has a shuttle bus to the main shops but it is not far to walk to catch more of the local scene. Visits to the Bali dancing, the volcano, the batic and silver making were worth the trips - I even used lots of courage to try a pillion ride on one of Bali's famous bikes - woohoo! Would certainly return.

Room Tip: I was in a Bonet room #6 which was quiet and mid way on the hill so a fairly easy climb to the lobby...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank rosielee1948
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would describe Hotel Tjampuhan Spa as my "happy place" having visited briefly in 2012 and being so impressed I had to take my friends back in 2013 so they could understand how good it was in Ubud.

The hotel is beautiful and the food in the restaurant exquisite. The setting is truly an area of outstanding natural beauty and it is conveniently placed for excursions e.g. Elephants and rafting.

One word of advice when staying here is that certain members of the staff can be very pushy in trying to secure your business. Say you wanted a trip to see the volcano; a member of staff would offer to arrange it for you for 500,000 rupiah when you could just flag down a taxi and have it for 200,000. I found one member of staff especially pushy when I was trying to organise a trip to Padang Bai. He would not leave me alone despite the fact I found alternative transport when I got there would have been 500% cheaper. Fortunately I was wise to their game so he got nothing from me, but an unwary traveller could be misled!

I would happily return to Tjampuhan Spa. If I ever get married I think it would make a fantastic honey moon destination. I could not be happier with this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SeeTheWorld637
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Have stayed in lots of the hotels in Ubud. This is a good one. Quiet and away from busy road.

Pura 2 is a great room. Very nice decor. Balcony facing east and great spot for sunbathing after breakfast. Don't mind no TV but really need kettle+tea+coffee maker. After the door locked, still can open a gap. Not safe. Have to block the door with a chair.

The location is good. Only 10mins walk to ubud town. Have free shuttle bus to town too.

Don't mind the steps at all. As the hotel is built on hill facing river stream. There are 2 swimming pools with natural spring water (1 of them).

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. Most of them speak simple English.

If you have coffee and tea at the pool (breakfast time) is FOC.

Will come back again.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Daymondyeo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

While I spent my nights at the lovely Suly Resort and Spa I treated myself to a most exotic and beautiful day at this spectacular spa. The Tjampuhan Spa is a space of beauty that I found unmatched in Ubud. Tjampuhan spa provides a welcoming environment for the luxery guests and the more budget spa visitors(like me:) The hotel/spa is terraced from the heights of the lobby into the deep ravine where the Spa is located. The hot and cold pools are set amidst cave like structures of carved monkeys and other flora and fauna that put you in a primal world. I met expat/locals in the hot pool who swore by the place and said they came weekly- I wish I had that lifestyle. I am not one to indulge in massage too much- I would rather be at a museum or be seeing the sites- but this place was so lovely and the massage was so comforting and deep. You end up in a bathtub in the open air full of flowers listening to the river looking at the steep wall of ferns on the other side of the river and you wonder how $45 could have ever bought you this feeling of being so pampered. You can spend way less to just take in the waters- but I suggest you give into the full treatment. I was in Ubud for a month and everyone is offering you a massage- I looked at others and tried one other- but if you love nature and a subtle quality - nothing else is going to come close.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank erianthe
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here 3 yrs ago with a girl friend, so wanted to stay with my husband this time as it's quite a treasure trove. Full of history, tho it's crumbling off the side of the mountain in places. The spa cave with it's hot & ice pools, fully carved in frogs & water animals is a must do while staying and a real feature to the resort. The paths all through the resort on the side of the hill with views to the river below needs to be used - a lot! Early morning and late afternoon are best.

Our room was HUGE and the bed impressive. The bathroom was disgusting. Must have been done in the 1950's or 60s at best. We changed rooms - to find the bathroom just a little better. Maybe the 1970's ... Broken tiles, water around the floor under the toilet - musty disgusting smells coming from it all the time.

Take the good with the bad tho and we could get past this.
Total private gorgeous bungalow + Great breakfasts in a stunning area + amazing views to feast your eyes on all the time.

Room Tip: If you hate your bathroom - ask to move before checking in / unpacking ;)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple