“Nature, nature, naturee”

Ranked #65 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney Australia
“Nature, nature, naturee”
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My 5-year-old daughter and I saw some pictures of this hotel in a travel brochure and thought it looked beautiful. We read some online reviews and many past guests said that it was special. They were right!

There are plants literally crammed into the hotel grounds which climb all the way down the hill to the Tjampuhan River. There are animals too: squirrels, birds, lizards, carp ... it is alive.

We took advice from a Trip Advisor reviewer and opted for a fan rather than aircon room. Ubud is cool enough to sleep well at night without cold air blasting on you. The bathroom was a touch shabby but not enough to worry about. None of the rest of the hotel looked tired; the pools (one spring-fed and cool, and one warmer and surrounded by frog, monkey and human sculptures), restaurant, reception were beautiful and full of character.

The Ubud Writers Festival was on during our visit and the Monkey Forest Road hotels were heavily booked. The Hotel Tjampuhan is a better alternative anyway. It is close enough to walk to the Palace to see the evening dances; or to the Monkey Forest Road to shop, eat and visit the monkeys; and it has the added advantage of being almost at the start of a fantastic walk through the rice fields. And any time that you're too tired or hot to walk there is a reliable regular shuttle service into town.

The staff were lovely but not obsequious. Our daughter was shown how to fold the fancy napkins; just one of those little things that's a nice distraction for a lone child. Feeding the carp with a leftover breakfast roll was a daily highlight.

Just one word of warning. The paths around the hotels are steep and uneven, so if you have trouble with knees hips, etc you will need to organise a room near the reception and restaurant.

• Liked — The gardens
  • Disliked — The bathroom
1 Thank WoodySydneyAustralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I just love this hotel and have been coming here since the early 90's. I have seen it change a lot and become a little more commercial and lose some of the "balinese" aspects I used to love so much about it like the bamboo thatch and flynet walls which are now glass and brick.
The setting is on a mountainside...steep steps. So be warned. But the cottages and pools are all nestled so quaintly in the hotel. It has such a relaxing atmosphere to it. I only ever stay for about 4 nights which is just enough for me to chill out and enjoy the spas in Ubud before moving onto another area in Bali - but I would recommend this highly. It is the perfect place to chill and find yourself. Its close enough to walk into Ubud but the hotel has courtesy vans. There is an abundance of great places to eat in Ubud and this hotel is the right price and charming.

• Liked — scenic and charming
  • Disliked — hard on the knees
  • Stayed July 2007
2 Thank jarrah111
perth
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Read all the reviews and was more than dubious about this hotel.
No tv? No fridge? Dirty bathrooms?
The Tjampuhan was fabulous! No tv and no fridge is true, but bathrooms were spacious and very clean.
We took a laptop and the kids watched their cheap dvds if they wanted, and there was wifi, so the internet made myspace and whatever else easy.
We found out there was a 24 hour mini supermarket across the road, so cold drinks and snacks were easy to find.
Also a restaurant down towards the bridge does fantastic takeaway pizzas.
But the best thing about the Tjampuhan is the setting, the amazing gardens, carvings on everything, and the main temple for Ubud being across the river so that we could see and hear the festivities for the new year. And we were welcomed to join in.
Apparently the Tjampuhan is still owned by the King of Ubud.
The rooms we had were beautiful, private, and the views just magnificent. The staff were friendly, but not too much so.
Ubud beats the western beaches by miles in the wet season, when the rain washes all the rubbish from the tributaries out into the bay, and it all ends up in front of your beachfront hotel.
If you do choose this hotel, head up the stairs accross the road to go to a lovely cafe for good coffee, or head up the main road to a big supermarket and an excellent book cafe.
Not for toddlers, this hotel is set on a very steep riverside hill, and yes there are lots of steps.

Stayed January 2009
wollongong
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I stayed at Hotel Tjampuhan and Spa for three weeks during October 2008, and was in one of the higher up bungalows. What an experience! Jungle jungle jungle right at my door. I could easily have not moved from my balcony for the whole holiday. I tried to be up early to watch the squirrels doing their madcap thing, and also saw a very large monkey climbing a palm. Everyday brought a new surprise and some not for the faint hearted. The very first evening after a downpour I walked under a dripping banyan tree and a snake fell on me! I have been told it was a green tree pit viper and usually best avoided! Lots of other reptiles, frogs, and geckos. A very large gecko was usually in residence each evening above the toilet so I learned to always put the light on before entering. There are two swimming pools and I loved the natural spring pool. I would float on my back and look up at the trees, sightseeing from a whole new angle. The main pool has some very interesting sculpture. I had two traditional Balinese massages and want another now. The spa is stunning a sculptural fantasyland on the edge of the ravine, and the service and massages excellent. Everyday I lingered longer over breakfast, looking at the view, drinking the coffee. There were things that are not OK. While 'presentation' of the rooms was pleasing very traditional cane furniture etc rooms need to be cleaned more thoroughly. During the time I was there at least 4 other guests left due to poor hygiene and bedbugs! This week a friend told me about a bad problem with bedbugs at Hotel Tjampuhan in the 1970s! This is a great hotel, do yourselves a favour and get rid of the bugs! Don't just say oh its the jungle blah blah. Also bedlinen old and worn out. I checked the bed very carefully every night, and did kill the occasional bug, and contemplated various stains on the blankets. I never got bitten. The staff were all wonderful, and I appreciated the shuttle service, and could usually talk them into dropping me further afield. Rooms do not have tea and coffee making or frigs and this also is not OK. Hotel Tjampuhan is another world and definitely worth the effort.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Poor hygiene
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank netti08
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 December 2008

I stayed at the Tjampuhan with my 9 year old son in early December 2008, and was very impressed. We were very happy with the room and the bathroom, and the view from the balcony was amazing! It is true that there are lots of steps, but since it's built on a hillside over a river, that is hardly surprising. We asked for a room near the top, and it was quickly provided.

Our request for an electric jug and a fridge were also quickly dealt with. My only negative feelings were that at a hotel of this calbre, a fridge and jug should be standard in every room. The fridge that was provided was not very clean, and it is important to attend to these small details.

The main pool was beautiful, and extra space for sunbathing was provided down a few steps, next to the bar. The banana pancakes are also awesome - my son ate about 6 each day!!

I found the staff to be charming and helpful and sincerely interested in us. It is a beautiful, tranquil spot and I would stay there again in a heartbeat, next time with my partner.

• Liked — The fantastic location
  • Disliked — The steps
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank SweetOtter
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2008

We stayed at the Tjampuhan and found the stay absolutely amazing. The rooms were well appointed and clean with views of the river. The complex was very large and spacious - we were not expecting such an amazing setting. The Tjampuhan was very tranquil and a great place to escape the heat and filth of Kuta. The staff were very helpful and courteous and made the stay even better. Overall was the best place we stayed at on the entire trip. Cannot recomend it enough!

• Liked — Amazing peaceful setting
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sam_ham_01
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 27 October 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week in Ubud, Bali. We stayed at the Hotel Tjampuhan Spa on the western edge of Ubud central. It is gorgeously situated on a hillside surrounded by a virtual tropical jungle overlooking the confluence of two sacred rivers. Service was graciously attentive and unfailingly polite and solicitous. We had the most delicious breakfasts ever anywhere. The banana crepes are simply scrumptious....I'm craving them right now. And the rice porridge every morning is just what this Chinese girl loves to have in the morning, even in the heat and humidity -- it was very satisfying. And the eggs cooked to order, you haven't had eggs until you taste these. I had a wonderful 2-hr spa treatment for $38 US - an hour whole body massage followed by a body scrub and yogurt treatment capped by a warm bath in fragrant oils and beautiful fresh flower petals. I was served lemon ginger tea as I bathed. It was heavenly. The spa is at river's edge, as you receive your treatment, you are lulled by the sound of falling water, the buzz and chirp of the jungle and the warm sweet fragrance of frangipani blossoms.....you have to pinch yourself to believe that you are really there. It is an unbelievable experience. I highly recommend this hotel with no hesitation, except one warning that there are many steps to traverse up and down because the hotel is built into the hillside; those with impaired mobility would have difficulty going to and fro, I'm afraid to say.

• Liked — Service by lovely gentle people with great manners and courtesy.
  • Disliked — A bit hard to traverse, many steps up and down.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple