All reviews terracotta restaurant rice fields terra cotta boutique hotel infinity pool every hour beautiful bathroom great pool the hotel manager shuttle service minute drive included breakfast ubud town kenanga bungalow bali taxi
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Kenanga had been recommended to us by friends and I'm so glad it was available for our stay.The hotel is set around a stunning view of the rice paddies and their infinity pool, views of which you can enjoy from the restaurant. The breakfast we had was the best of our entire trip, the pancakes are a must. We travelled as a three and the ever welcoming staff provided an extra bed that was really comfortable and even an extra water each night. Across our stay they exhibited attention to detail I've rarely seen elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Becki L
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Staff are so helpful, friendly and welcoming and seem genuinely happy and eager to make our stay the best it could be. Nice quiet location. Our rooms were cleaned everyday and in addition staff would turn down the room ready for bed (while we were out at dinner) We even got little bananas. We were delighted with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Melen_Melen
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Put simply, I wish we could have spent our entire 11 nights in The Kenanga in Ubud. Ubud itself is beautiful and my initial trepidation toward going was that my fiance and I are sun lovers (and were escaping Melbourne's cold winter!) and that there wouldn't be enough sun. There was. Now for the hotel - this place is just lovely. The pool is beautiful overlooking stunning rice paddies and if you want you can sun bake there all day. We did that for half the day and then took the complimentary push bikes and rode into town to explore. Staff at the hotel are simply exemplary and I know a lot of superfluous language can be used to describe the Balinese (as, generally, they are such nice people) but here every wish and assistance was provided. And so genuinely. My fiance got food poisoning (or giadia?) elsewhere in Bali and the staff were great. Even after we checked out at midday (our flight was midnight) they let us shower in a separate spare room at no cost so we could be clean before heading to Denpassar to fly home. Just such a nice gesture. AND the food is just GREAT. Top chef. Read other reviews on Trip Advisor re. the restaurant...

Pros: stunning room, big bath and shower, his and her sinks, beautiful pool with plenty of sun, first rate restaurant, breakfast complimentary and top notch, great staff, clean, boutique-esq (only 20 rooms or less I think), complimentary pushbikes, close to rafting area (15 mins so you're not wasting a whole day picking up other people - we did it and that was stunning)

Cons: a bit out of town. As the crow flies only a few kms so when we booked I thought we could just walk into Ubud. You can (I ran there and back one morning but it's about 5-6km each way depending on where in town you go) but it is all downhill in, uphill (obv) back. Quite good exercise!

Also a "Pro" for me as I'd run it each morning and sometimes cycle up and back a few times during the day for some more exercise.Having said that traffic is not crazy like Seminyak so you can hire a motorbike safely for 70rp per day (c$7USD) or there is an hourly shuttle service from The Kenanga finishing at 5pm (after that a taxi one way is 50rp or $5USD, so nothing. I hired a motor bike and felt completely safe (no 16 y.o bogan aussies wearing bintang singlets hooning around half pissed that is for sure) albeit I have ridden many time before.

This was our 4th time to Bali just to have a quick, cheap break before our honeymoon in late Jan-14. We had 8 nights in Seminyak (where we had been twice, Gili Islands once) and 3 nights in Ubud this trip. If we go back to Bali again I will spend all the nights in Ubud at The Kenanga. Thankyou to the staff for re-igniting my love of Bali.

Room Tip: You can pay extra for a room with a view of the rice paddies I guess but you get that from the pool and restaurant. We didn't have a rice paddy view room but I got up early and exercised and got amazing 'views' all around Ubud which I doubt others saw! All rooms are similarly excellent.
1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed 26 June 2013

What a beautiful hotel, so carefully designed. We arrived at the hotel and after speaking with friendly staff at reception we had our first look at the efinity pool looking over rice fields - absolutelys stunning. Our room then although just a standard room was beautifully designed with that bit of extra thought, for example a wardrobe that opened in the corridor and bathroom, just our style. With flowers on the bed and in the bath, and a complimentary chocolate cake (which was delicious). We enjoyed afternoon tea, ubud, dancing, the restaraunt (good curry), and a cooking class with the chef. The chef was great with good handy tips, and good humour too. We made chicken soup, bananna leaf wrapped tuna and coconut pancakes. We would recommend the milkshakes and spring rolls. We also went on a walk in ricefields with one of the staff members, which was the only thing we wished we took better shoes and were prepared for sludgy thin edges to walk on. The only thing to also watch out on is the 21% tax on activities aswelll as food! But we would have loved to stay here longer!

2  Thank MrsRolls
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at this amazing boutique hotel for 10 days recently. Transport to the hotel was hassle free as we had pre-arranged our pick-up from Densapar with the hotel.

Check-in was courteous and quick. We were shown to our room and absolutely loved it. Modern and tasteful decor with a Balinese influence. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever had while travelling. And sleeps here are very peaceful.

WOW, we couldn't believe what a magical place this is at night. The chorus of sounds here is amazing, and watching fireflies, small bats and birds in the sky at dusk while sitting at the one of the many comfortable loungers is just magical.

We were treated to a very professional 1 hr. courtesy Balinese massage on our 1st day in the lovely spa overlooking the rice fields. Every member of the staff here is so friendly and helpful. You won't want to say 'goodbye'.

Food at the Terra Cotta Restaurant was of a very high standard at all times. The breakfasts are 'made to order' and wonderful. They seem to have very good chefs here. We never tried everything on the menu in our 10 days, as there is much to choose from. Presentation was first rate and the menu is well thought out. Starters through to desserts (including their own home-made gelato and sorbets) were sooooo delicious. We had some meals out in Ubud, but not as good as at Terra Cotta.

We will certainly be back here when we need to have some amazing R and R.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be great. You won't be disappointed here.