“In the middle of the rice fields”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Kupu Kupu Bungalows
Ranked #123 of 622 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Kupu Kupu is nice and simple, don't expect luxury. Good value for money, (yummy) breakfast included, beautiful surroundings, 15 minutes walk through the rice fields to Ubud's main road, the staff is very friendly and Begonia is the most helpful person ever. She can recommend you interesting day trips and will arrange for you the details.
We stayed in the traditional bungalow for 4 nights. The ensuite bathroom was a bit unkempt but besides that, we had a great time and enjoyed our stay very much. What is more important: your money supports Kupu Kupu's work with Balinese disabled people.
Tip: Bring a flashlight for the night walk between the bungalows and the main road.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Kupu Kupu bungalows, so much so i ended up staying much longer than expected. The bungalows are private, simple and in lovely relaxing surroundings. It was a 10-15minute walk to the centre. There are good walks through the rice fields close by also. Bagonia was very helpful with advise and can book trips and organise boats and buses and a percentage of your stay goes to the charity linked with the bungalows. No hot water but that didnt bother me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2012

my husband and I stayed here for 5 days . it was nice, comfortable and private. it's the perfect place to stay if you want to get closer with nature, the perfum of jasmine all days and the music from frogs at night, in addition, not far at all from the busy center ( 5 minutes by motorbike). everything is simple, cheap and I enjoy my daily. for the girls, no hot water but it's fine if you love nature stay here.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Beautiful surroundings. Loved walking the paths between rice fields. I stayed in one of the bungalows up on stilts and loved reading and having breakfast on the outdoor "living room" below. It is beautiful but simple. If you like all the best amenities, you should look elsewhere, but this is a great place to experience a little of the real Bali.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed the room up on stilts.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank steve b
Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

stayed here for 3 nights, and it was pretty homely except for the stuffiness at night. great for value, and in the middle of rice fields. it is normal to have frienss of the nature with you the whole time, be it their noise making or them physically arnd you. its something good for a getaway from the city. slping with the sound of the frogs singing and crickets mating.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed at Kupu Kupu classic bungalow for 10 nights in Oct. It's about 15 minutes walk from main street, only 30m from a tourist cafe from the back gate. I'm weak against the heat, and with hilly terrain around Ubud, I recommend you renting a scooter (Rp. 30k to 50k per day) if you're skilled rider like myself.

Begonia is the director of the foundation. Although she's not there most of the time, she regularly checks her emails, and can be reached by cell from one of boys' working at bungalow. The boys speak basic English, but if you need more information in depth, Begonia can be reached by from boys' phones.

My room was one next to the kitchen, sharing bath with staff. To me, I'm accostomed with not using paper when using toilet, and I take shower right away, but for other newbies, make sure to bring toilet paper with you. I think you're crazy wanting a hot shower in this muggy climate, but cold (more like luke warm during day) shower only, so just you know. Towels are provided, though.

My room had a twin and a double bed. The pillow on a twin bed smelled like mold. Next day, they allowed me to hang beddings and dry mattress. The smell on the pillow didn't go away, but Begonia provided me another pillow next day. She took everything over from the previous owner, and trying to improve one thing at a time.

My room didn't have a fan, but they had a portable fan for me. Begonia also let me use her adoptor for my foreign plugs. She also let me try her mobile internet stick, she's planning it to be available for guests in the future, although it didn't work near the end of my stay. I love when Begonia tries to rectify issues or improve right away when I ask, and I'm thankful for that.

Breakfast is included. You get either Balinese coffee or tea, assorted fruits, and a cholice of banana or pineapple pancakes, banana or pinapple sandwiches or omelette sandwich. Balinese breakfast items can be added for extra charge. Since all of included breakfast are western, I suggested Begonia to include Indonesian breakfast item like ayam bubur (poridge with chicken) and so on as of one complimentary choices. I don't know if Begonia is reading this, but I thought it would've been nice if those boys could make fruit juices on demand for a fee.

Ask Begonia about rice terrace loop: it goes to north for a while, then going through a jungle, then coming down to town. It took me good 2-3 hours inlcuding rest, but it's a must! She also invited me to visit her school for disabled children. My impression was that their classroom was a lot more comfortable than ones I used to go and used to be clammed with 40 other students in a same size as her school.

As their rates suggest, this is no resort. But if you're a kind of person like me loving experiencing something local, I strongly recommend.

Room Tip: There are only 4 units, so they can be filled up even outside of peak seasons. Reservation strongly...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My mum and I really enjoy our stay in the simple but cute traditional bungalow. Very peaceful atmosphere. Not far from town. Thank you Begonia for your good advices either for choosing my road with the motorbike - so beautiful - or the convenient homestay in Sanur.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
2 mi away
Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Jungle Retreat by Kupu Kupu Barong
Wapa di Ume Resort and Spa
Maya Ubud Resort & Spa

Been to Kupu Kupu Bungalows? Share your experiences!