“Learning Balinese crafts” 5 of 5 bubbles

WS Art Studio
Ranked #19 of 56 Classes & Workshops in Ubud
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: W.S. Art Studio offers a variety of traditional Balinese cultural classes to visitors and tour groups. Our classes include: batik class, wood carving and mask carving, stone carving, silver jewelry class, traditional painting, bamboo carving, Balinese dance, Offerings class, fruit carving and decoration class, among others. We strive to provide a hands-on, and informative introduction to skilled crafts no longer practiced in most parts of the world. We hope that our guests' experience will remain a fond (and fun) memory of their Bali adventure! Eight Minutes South of Ubud, look for the gang (alley) with the sign: 'Teba Sari Kopi Lewak', we are 400 meters beyond this place, in the rice fields.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Ubud, Indonesia
“Learning Balinese crafts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

WS Art Studio is running by kindest and very nice women Ayu. You can do many different classes of traditional Balinese crafts here alone, with family of any age or as couple. They offer classes in making your own piece of silver jewelry, painting, wood curving, Balinese dance, batik and many others. It's amazing experience you should have once you in Bali!

Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
Dover, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We found out about this Art Studio from a small flyer in our hotel and had no idea what to expect. We were collected by taxi and found ourselves in a modest home where Ayu showed us to an outdoor art area. We spent a really lovely afternoon learning how to make a piece of silver jewellery whilst chatting to the 2 other 'western' pupils whilst drinking local coffee and eating delicious banana and pineapple fritters. Add to that the fun of seeing 2 local men remove an entire tree in the backyard, a number of chickens scrabbling around and Ayu's disabled son playing beautifully during his piano lesson in the next room. Ayu was lovely and we felt we were part of the family by the end of the afternoon. She was so sweet and gentle and I can really recommend an afternoon getting to know her and real Bali family life.

Visited March 2014
Umea, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take the opportunity!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

My 12-year olds and I went for a kite class and a silver class- great fun!
Excellent, skilled and warm-hearted instructors helped us to make 2 wonderful buttterfly kites, a pair of ear rings, a ring and a pendant. Water and lovely fried pineapple and bananas was provided.
Fantastic holiday memories, highly recommended!
Aju, hope to see you again =)

Visited March 2014
1 Thank jejo2014
Adelaide
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Another GREAT time at WSArt Studio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I travel to Bali at least once each year and on each visit, in recent years, I do at least one class at WS Art Studio. In February I only had a few days in Bali but it was long enough to do my very favourite Balinese activity, a class at WS Art Studio. I love this place and these people! I used to think that I did not have an artistic bone in my body, but ever since my wife "dragged" me along here with her I really enjoy myself and look forward to my next visit. This visit I did a silver class and made a ring for my wife.

During this visit There was a very friendly group of people from England, Wales, Holland and Australia some doing silver, some doing stone carving and others wood carving. Everyone enjoyed their experience and loved their personal creations, judging by the flow of conversation at the end.

Just to repeat what I and others have reported before; you get transport from your hotel and back; the materials you need; expert tuition in whatever skill you choose; refreshments; wonderful companionship; a very enjoyable day; and at the end you take home a piece of jewellery or art that you will value highly because it is yours and probably worth many times more than the price you pay for the class. It's a fabulous deal.

The silver class teacher is Ayu, a gentle, skilful, patient, beautIful Balinese lady who also owns/manages this wonderful facility.

If you are thinking about visiting the WS Art Studio I strongly encourage you to give it a go; you will enjoy it; you will surprise yourself with hidden abilities and you will take home a piece of art/jewellery that is yours, genuine, and beyond value!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Popnorm
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“So Fun! Beautiful Silver Earrings Success!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I had so much fun learning about Silver and making some really cute earrings and they turned out great. They came and picked me up and had wonderful refreshments. This is recommended to do when you are in Ubud. Thank you so much for a wonderful morning!

Visited February 2014