“Left with pendants, but...”
Review of Studio Perak

Studio Perak
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My friend and I did this course one morning while in Ubud. We were really excited and ended up quite disappointed. The course fee of 350,000 IDR includes 5grams of silver, however this was not premeasured and no guidance was given to approximately how much 5 grams was and as a result both of us used almost 5grams more than allotted and had to pay extra. Both of us came with designs in mind, and when we showed the teacher, he did not really offer any advice as to weather beginners such as ourselves could accomplish them. Nor was any artistic advice given on how to make them more pleasing. He also rarely helped throughout the creation process. When we showed him areas where we had made mistakes he told us not to worry and that he would help us fix them at the end, this did not happen. He seemed annoyed when we asked for help and when he would help he would just take our piece and do it himself rather than talking us through the repairs. In the end both of us left with pendants but neither of us were very happy with them. I had done a similar course in Thailand on a previous trip and the experience was the complete opposite to this.

2  Thank MROB222
"shaping"
"skills"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 20 September 2013

It's my second time at Studio Perak and I always enjoy my time. The teachers are helpful but they let you do your thing (which is great I think!) and in 3 hours class you have enough time to make a bracelet, a ring and a necklace pendant!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Arriving 5 minutes late and finding myself as the only domestic participant a bit discourage me at the beginning. Plus the fact rhat the girls at the store seems to be surprised that I had not any design to copy by the time I arrived sure made me worry at the beginning. But as soon as Ketut gave me the 1st instructon on what to do, I was hooked. Ketut sure was an artist, he guided me in the exact time I needed guidance. He gave space for my creativity but jumped in straight away when I needed help. I brought home a lovely ring, a lovely pendant and had the best 3 hours of crafting. If you love craft, give it a go, you'll have fun.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We expected to be welcomed into the class and given an introduction, however as soon as we stepped into the shop it was straight to business, have you got a design, and then start mailing. It was frustrating for us as the teacher didn't offer as much guidance as we were expecting, not just on how to do things but whether the design and style we were attempting would look good. We ended up with a good set of earrings but we're disappointed with the pendant. Good to learn about silversmithing but a little disappointing in the service and delivery

1  Thank upupnaway1
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed the morning I spent with Ketut making my pendant. I arrived at ten to 9 and we started straight away and about 20 mins had passed when I realised that I was the only one. It could have been awkward but it wasn't. Ketut showed me what to do step by step, giving advice when I asked but letting me decide everything and do everything myself. He sat alongside me making a ring, showing me what he was doing as he was going too. He was very happy with both of our efforts by the end, talking a lot about how much he loves seeing what his customers think about his ideas and who he thinks will buy each of his pieces. Such a lovely man and such a lovely morning. Thank you.

Been to Studio Perak? Share your experiences!