Umajati Retreat
US$140
US$722
US$620
Agoda.com
All reviewswates bangbaujavanese housesbedroom housenatural dyedouble ikatstaff preparetear yourself awayoffering makingmodern touchesrice fieldslush gardensspecial placereal balibalinese foodcooking classeach afternoonbusy ubud
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Wow!
I'm sat at Umajati on our last night and in some respects I don't want to say how good this place is so as to avoid struggling to get another booking in the future!!!
We could not have asked for a better experience for our first trip to Bali. Not only are the houses both stunning and beautifully decorated but the staff have been exceptional (am I gushing too much?!). Vita, Nengah and Putu have been wonderful (as have all the other staff) and Renteb's ability to find us anywhere in Ubud and to make us feel safe with his driving was greatly appreciated - which is no mean feat here in Ubud!
We were lucky enough to also meet and spend time with Jean and William which was a real privilege and so lovely to understand and therefore appreciate why they have created such a wonderful place.
I hope to return in the not too distant future - thank you all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thanks for your review Zoe. As I've said before in these comments, the staff are a real pleasure to work with and turn Umajati from a beautiful place into a beautiful BALINESE place! Real people who genuinely care. I'm glad you enjoyed their hospitality and look forward to welcoming you all back again. Yours, William

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Paradise is how we all summed up our visit to Umajati retreat. From the moment we entered the grounds and walked through the beautiful, lush gardens to our very last second, every part of Umajati was simply like heaven.
I would describe Umajati as the best hotel/accommodation I have ever stayed in for a number of reasons, but mainly due to the hospitable and welcoming staff who simply can't do enough for you and make you feel at home.
The food is traditional, healthy, refreshing and all freshly cooked - we even requested a birthday cake that was made that day in the kitchen and was absolutely delicious and so unique!
The house is comfortable, stylish and has every detail carefully planned out. Here is just 1 example: There is a wonderful Japanese ofuro (bath) which the staff can prepare for you - when you are relaxing in this deep bath you can open the shutters and look out onto beautiful plants and the Padi fields in the distance.
The pool and grounds are stunning and that is part of the reason you feel at home - enclosed in a wonderfully relaxing environment.
When you enquire or book Umajati the personal treatment is second to none.
All of our group had the best 3 nights of our trip in Indonesia - I would like to thank all the staff for making us feel so welcome and accommodating our every need (including driving us around and picking us up from town). You will not find a better place to stay in Bali, this is a unique and truly special place that is giving something back to local people and the environment.
I know that I will visit Umajati again in the future; it is a place where everyone can re-balance, relax and rejuvenate.
As I said.... PARADISE!

Room Tip: The larger house is perfect for families or groups - we were a group of 5 adults.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

We are grateful for the detailed review and I will pass your thanks on to the staff. I'm glad to know you appreciated the ofuro bath: that was one of my pet projects during construction and turned out to be quite a challenge to get right. It was worth it though as it is a wonderful way to relax! Best wishes, William

Reviewed 6 May 2013

In an attempt to not repeat any previous comments I will simply tell a little of my personal experiences whilst staying in this heavenly place. I agree with all the positive views but will attempt to add a different perspective. ..Here we go..

Four days at Umajati.
I sketched and photographed the local Petulu women and men harvest the rice; threshing the sweet bundles of freshly cut rice stalks. Later when undressing I was amused to see a pile of rice secreted on my body fall to the floor! I sketched the ducklings penned safely in the dried padis till after the harvest. On the morning I left the dams of the canals were opened to flood the padis ready for the next planting of the cyclical 3 crops per year. The ducklings went berserk, paddling noisily to the far extremities of the deepening water. I am surrounded by water that filigrees through the padis - and runs below my villa in the steep river valley. I visit and bathe in the sacred spring reached by steps beneath the lush canopy or I can choose the peace of the lap pool
At breakfast I sit watching the morning unfold with camera and sketchbook beside me. I delight at the big black bumblebees that buzz and blunder their way beneath the yellow pollen-coated stamens of the voluptuous pink lotus blooms.
The bees black body a stark contrast to the yellow stamens that they vibrate amongst. The herons scout the padis from the lookout of the coconut palm crown, dragonflies, skinks and clouds of yellow butterflies rise with the slightest disturbance. At night I listen child-like in wonder to the sounds of geckos, frogs and crickets and chase the alluring flickering light of the fireflies in my garden.
Chatting with the staff gave me great insight into the domestic and cultural life of the area. Vita always responded enthusiastically to any suggested adventure from Jean or myself. We visited relatives at local markets that helped me find tools for puppet making. We even discovered a female designer quietly carving the designs from hide that adorn the majestic Barong. We spent several hours at the magnificent Setia Darma House of Masks and Puppets, sketching and exploring the collection.
We balanced on the narrow padi walls and teetered towards the heron colony to see them alighting for the night [picking fern fronds to add to our evening meal.] The call to the nearby temple Pura Dalem Junjungan across the river couldn’t be denied. A ten day ceremony was taking place……I was there when the Barong and entourage arrived on foot from Ubud and returned the next night at 8pm with Vita to remain awed by the splendour, intrigue and power of the Odolan Pedanon ceremony, we were finally released to wander home at 4.30am…a wonder-full evening.
Umajati was like a magical portal into Balinese life. My four days seemed like four weeks worth of experience, emotion, wonder and peace. I returned home with a sense of peace and inspiration from an extraordinary nurturing environment, I know I will return, I just don’t know when.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Sandygran1956
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for your poetic review. You have captured a beautiful experience of the natural surroundings, and were willing to go out into the countryside and culture to get those experiences. It is wonderful how the Balinese respond to our enthusiasm for their country and culture in that inclusive way, and we are lucky to have staff who are generous to guide people into those experiences as well. See you next time!

Reviewed 14 April 2013

10 minutes out busy Ubud, Bali is a magical place called Umajati Retreat. I went with my husband and another couple. I would have been happy just being in the most spectacular garden i have ever seen in a country of many beautiful gardens. The houses are traditional wood houses with beautiful Indonesian batiks everywhere. The attention to detail was very impressive. The staff was equally attentive without being intrusive (hard to find in Indonesia). I was sitting by the lovely pool eating delicious fresh food at the end of the day. I thought i should put mosquito repellent on and a spray bottle of natural mosquito repellent appeared, brought over by a thoughtful staff person who must have read my mind. The meal that followed latter in the evening was served at an elegant table and was fresh and delicious!
Besides being wowed by the beauty and elegance of Umajati it is a must for people who are interested in Balinese culture. The owners and staff want their guest to experience authentic Balinese culture and will be very helpful providing you with oppourtunies to go to ceremonies or just treck in the rice fields. This is a fabulous place for a single person, a family, or couples. I want to come back with my women's group. Umajati should not be missed!

Room Tip: They are all amazing and beautiful! They all have good beds and beautiful art and the sound of frogs to put you to sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you for your review, which touches on many things that are important to us at Umajati, including the generous staff, the natural gardens, connecting with the culture, and introducing Indonesia's wonderful textile arts. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

For a truly magical holiday this is the place to stay in Ubud. As soon as you arrive and take a walk through the lush gardens you begin to relax. I will never forget our first evening. It was frog mating season and the chorus of singing frogs was almost deafening! The sunsets are magnificent and it’s heavenly to eat dinner beside the pool, under the stars, surrounded by lanterns made from banana stalks. The guest houses are beautifully restored 100 year old Javanese teak Joglo homes. But what makes this such a special place is the wonderful staff. Their warmth and hospitality made it very hard to leave

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Thank you Esme for the lovely review. Conserving the nature aspect of Umajati is very important to us, so I am glad it touches other people too. And yes, the staff really are what makes it all come alive. We feel very lucky to have such genuine and generous people to work with. Best wishes, William