Umajati Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
All reviewswates bangbaujavanese housesbedroom housenatural dyedouble ikatstaff preparetear yourself awayoffering makingmodern touchesrice fieldslush gardensspecial placereal balibalinese foodcooking classeach afternoonbusy ubud
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My stay at Uma Jati was divine. I really can't say enough about the beauty of the houses and the gardens, the delicious food and the lovely staff. Jean, William and Pung have managed to create a place that provides all the creature comforts - including soft sheets and great soaps - while integrating respect for the natural environment and culture of Bali. I have stayed in many different places in Bali and this was by far my favorite.

If you enjoy the outdoors, this is a great place for you. There are lots of different places to sit, read, relax and watch birds, butterflies and geckos. I spent many hours sitting at the pool looking out at all the different kinds of trees and watching birds pass overhead. I also took walks through the rice fields and into the village with the Uma Jati staff who live there. The gardens are beautifully kept and made me feel that I was in a real tropical paradise. The staff are super helpful and cheerful and made me feel comfortable and well taken care of. Not only did I love my stay, I also learned a lot about Bali and Indonesia from the staff and Jean and William. I'm looking forward to staying at Uma Jati again whenever I get the chance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Marcy, thank you for your review of Umajati. Jean will be very happy you appreciate the sheets and soaps. We feel that details like that are what add up to a good experience. Like you, I can just sit at the pool and look around for ages. I'll take a book to read and leave it unopened! See you next time, William

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My Husband and I stayed in Umajati for 6 nights in December.

This was our 10th trip to Bali and we often try new accommodation each time. We both agreed that Umajati was the best place we have stayed.
I initially booked it because I liked the work that Jean and William are doing through Threads of Life and also that thought has been put into the houses with regard to the environment and the community. We wanted a small property and also something out of town now that Ubud has become so busy. Umajati was everything we wanted and more.

We stayed in both houses and both are equally as nice. Really spacious and beautifully decorated.The staff were fantastic, friendly, polite and helpful. They seem to have struck the perfect balance of doing their jobs well while still being able to maintain their personalities.

The gardens are beautiful and attract all sorts of butterflies, birds lizards and frogs.

Food is always a big part of our travel experience and we loved the food at Umajati. We went into town one night for dinner and were sorry we did. We only tried the Indonesian options and they were better than many of the restaurant cooked meals. Also there was nothing nicer than being in the house having dinner listening to all the night noises build. Seeing the fireflies flashing on and off in the garden and watching the geckos and frogs eating the small insects .
Mosquitos were virtually non existent because of the balance created by the non use of chemicals which allowed the frogs and geckos to survive and eat the larva...the way it should happen.

We did the walking tour with Ida Bagus and loved it. He was a wealth of knowledge about the plants used for both food and medicinal purposes. The tour finished with a delicious meal cooked by his wife at their family compound.

I would also recommend the tour to Tenganan with William. He explained the weaving process and social structure of the village...really interesting.

I was lucky enough to go into town for the special ceremony of the renovation of Pura Pesa. Pung met me there and explained what was happening, and then I watched dance and music performances from different villages from around Bali. Really special experience.

Jean, William, and Pung have created a very special place, it was a pleasure to stay there and to meet them and their staff. Our most enjoyable trip to Bali so far.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jalna H

Thank you for the long and thoughtful review. I'm glad you liked the staff: we chose people who were new to hotel work precisely so that they hadn't been trained out of being friendly. The wildlife on the property is important to us too, and we make sure there are areas that aren't touched, particularly down to the river. We want the houses to feel like homes, and the food is a big part of that. And connecting with the culture is another core value. Ida Bagus' guiding, the Tenganan visit, and other unique tours are all part of that ethos. Look forward to seeing you next time! William

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here for few nights during our 2-week trip in Bali, and it was by far the best and most complete stay we had. Bungalows are spacious and really clean, located in a tranquil environment, with a beautifull garden & swimming pool. Staff completes the picture of a perfect stay: A driver to get you to the center of Ubud or elsewhere, kitchen personel preparing delicious meals and management at your service at all times, and this for a more than reasonble price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
WillIngram, Owner at Umajati Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Ellen, Thank you for your TripAdvisor comments. The housekeeping staff will be glad you mentioned their cleaning: their work is usually not noticed at hotels unless there are problems! And as you say, they have a lot of space to keep clean. At this time of year, with the rainy season, the garden almost grows before your eyes. Sumerta, who spends a lot of his time on the gardening, says its almost meditative to be out there working, and I think his care shows in the atmosphere of the gardens. Best wishes, William

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This was our last place to stay on our 2-week trip in Bali and Gili T., and was by far the nicest one. As a family of 7 adults, we booked both villas. Booking is easy and correct and so is the billing detail. Extremely good value for money. The staff is outstanding: friendly and attentive, and they help you arranging your day. In the villa you find a lot of information about activities, restaurants, trips, ... The included breakfast is really nice and prepared at the villa. We also tried some lunch and dinner there: highly recommendable, better than most restaurants will serve you! The location is rural, but this is a real advantage as you can enjoy nature all the time. When needed the driver will take you to Ubud and pick you up later again. The guided rice field walk gives you a very good background on local agriculture, plants and fruit.

Room Tip: We booked both villas for our family. All rooms are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hello and thank you for your review! I like a good breakfast and we wanted to offer the kind of experience we ourselves enjoy, so, I'm glad you liked the food. We've only had a few people take both houses, but it's a really good idea. Hopefully, more people will take advantage of that option. Best wises, William

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the main villa (2 bedroom, with 2 adults and 2 young children).

Umajati's surroundings are beautiful. The old west java villas are very stylefully 'reassembled', and the increbibly friendly staff coupled with the whole noise/smell of the place is amazing. Being outside Ubud is really nice as the evening sounds of the rice paddies add a lot of charm. The staff are very friendly and helpful, which includes making your breakfast on site (in the connected kitchen) and serving in your own living room. It's a whole new experience! We had lunch and dinner the first day - most ingredients come from their own garden or local markets, one can really taste it. Then the next day took the retreat's minibus to town (complimentary, 15 - 20 minutes, and arrange a pickup by phone later). The owners also run a local weaving business plus a foundation to teach forest protection - very inspiring.

Our children also took full advantage of the pool and the coconut tree hammock.

Ubud is charming and well worth the visit but returning to the evening sounds of the 'bush' in Umajati is......well we can definately recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

What a thoughtful and lengthy review. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. We read your review to the cooking staff, and they couldn't believe that their food was better than a restaurants: that charming modesty you mentioned. Thanks also for mentioning the tours: we try to find unusual experiences to offer our guests, ways to get into the culture of Bali as we were able to when we first came to Bali 25 years ago. See you again! William