“Tranquil escape, amazing food, warm welcome”

Mulawarman Ubud Bali
Ranked #148 of 653 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

Wayan and her family are extremely welcoming and can't do enough to make sure you are well looked after. The location is superb - in the centre of Ubud, but in a tranquil area in what feels like its own little jungle and also next to the rice fields and the amazing cafe pomegranate and sari organic.
Wayan is a great cook and her breakfasts (green pancakes, black rice pudding are a must!!) and evening meals are a delight. There are a mixture of different sized rooms, ours was one of the larger garden rooms, very spacious and well decorated, nice and cool and great position in the garden with a nice terrace.
The family will really take care of you. They were happy to drive us on to our next destination and even sent us home with presents of rice and Pisang Goreng mix!!!
All in all a great option in Ubud.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Booked here for 7 days and was unsure if the previous reviews were going to be reliable. What a gem of a place. Tucked away from the hustle and bustle. Tricky to find at first but the owner can arrange a pickup from your previous accommodation or even the airport. The owner, Wagan, is the most gentle and delightful hostess and marvellous cook-yum. It really is a home away from home as the others have said. Nothing is too much trouble. Just ask. If you feel unwell at any time she is quick to assist with home remedies or advice. The room we stayed in was 3 and it's a larger A/C room downstairs facing the lovely private tropical ravine with a bath. Upstairs are two large terrace rooms (sadly no A/C), which face the rice paddies on the other side of the ravine. The other 4 cheaper A/C rooms were lovely and opened onto the garden ravine with just showers. Breakfast is deliciously different everyday and you have a choice. Just love Wagan's banana pancakes with coconut. Always a big plate of 4 different fruits to start. If you don't feel like going out to dinner then Wagan will cook for you in the evening as well. Just settle on what you would like and how much it costs. It very reasonable, generous, and beautifully presented. Language isn't a huge barrier and Wagan can ring to make bookings for actitives. She doesn't have a lot of maps and brochures so a quick trip to the tourist info or the internet is probably a good idea. I'm a bit older than most of the other guests but it was a pleasant 10-15 minute walk to the top section of Monkey Forest Rd. We took a taxi occasionally to the our favourite coffee haunt in Hanoman street -Kafe, and it cost about 20000 to 30000Rp(Don't forget to set the price before you step into the taxi) What this place may lack in hotel miscellaneous items is more than compensated with hospitality and genuine care and warmth. Don't think about it just book it! Would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the best. Great aspect. Bring a torch for walking back to the guest house at night. Someti...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

It's true. Wayan treats her staff and you like family. This is a very homely place to chill out from the hustle and bustle of the streets of Ubud. Breakfast and other meals you may request are generous and keep you going for quite a while. Nothing was too much trouble. Wayan's charm and genuine caring nature over comes any language barriers. My wife and I were older than most of the people staying at Mulawarman, but bonded with Wayan and we will correspond in future to stay in touch. It's a 'must visit again' if we return to Ubud.

Room Tip: It is possible to arrange for someone from Mulawarman to pick you up, for a reasonable price, either...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed there for only a night, but what an experience!
A very quiet and lovely environment with very affordable price, good food (the fried banana are yummy!) and great hospitality.
Staying in mulawarman feels like living in your own home...a must stay place in ubud
Thanks mommy wayan for treating us like a family...see you soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed in Mulawarman for 3 nights. The owner is very friendly as is everyone else working there. It feels like you are living in somebodys home. Private garden. Breakfast is served in the garden outside overlooking lush nature. The rooms are quite nice. Breakfast is fresh fruits and eggs or rice pudding or pancake - every morning something different.
I would have preferred to stay a bit closer to the center. You might walk 15 minutes to the center Ubud (monkey forrest RD).
Before you book, make sure you can agree on every cost and fee that might be included in your final bill. I had some surprises there - like moving in tax. I've stayed in Bali in many places and nobody has charged me for moving in so be sure you will confirm first.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have stayed in and around Ubud many times and was looking for a place that offered peace and space, away from the crazy energy of the main streets but not so far to walk to. I found it in Mulawarman.
Its a family business which adds to the charm and The owner Wayan is so lovely and welcoming and happy to help in any way, be it food, tea, massage, transport, sight seeing or just someone to hang out with whilst listening to the sounds of the beautifu,l tropical jungle.
It takes about 10/15 mins to stroll into the lively streets of Ubud and even shorter if you are comfortable with a motorbike! There are always locals willing to take you down the road!
The rooms are clean simple and have everything you need. I stayed in a larger room up stairs which had a balcony overlooking the rainforest and big comfy bed. Also a good sized bathroom!
If you're looking for plush decadence then this isn't the right choice for you! I enjoy a few comforts when I travel and felt that what this quietly beautiful place lacks in the finer things, more than makes up for in the soul and heart department!
Sari Organik restaurant is a happy 15/20 min walk through the rice fields and there is a great spa 'Cantika' along the way if you want to make a massage pit stop!
I was travelling alone and felt quite safe staying and wandering around in the area.
Wayan offers her accomadation to you as a second home in Bali and it is just that! X

Room Tip: The smaller room i was offered had a shower sharing the space with the toilet so if you enjoy a larg...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AnjaliLenni
Reviewed 11 May 2013

To know how wonderful Mulawarman is, I am girl from Jakarta travelling alone (quite unheard of) for 8 days in Bali, 4 days in Ubud, so I looked high and low for a place that would be safe. I took a chance on Mulawarman Ubud and I got a lot more than safe.

Mulawarman is located right at the edge of a ravine, and what a beautiful place to stay in. I was in room 6, one of the four smaller rooms, but it was gorgeously decorated with Balinese style. They offered me a choice of the other 2 free rooms, but the one they picked out was just right for me, but it was great to be offered.

The dressing mirror in my room with a bouquet of fresh flowers (it stayed fresh for all of the 4 days I was there) made me feel as if I was not in a hotel, but a well decorated place of a friend who welcomed you into their homes. The bed was so comfortable, and the pillows were fluffy, and these are important to me, who has difficulty sleeping. I got fresh towels every day (they are HUGE). I was staying alone but I had two towels nonetheless, always charmingly rolled on top of the bed, which was made exquisitely every day. I "come home" to a clean haven, and a sigh of relief always escapes when I enter my room.

The first morning I woke up in Mulawarman, I was quite ill, because I traveled and partied a little hard the first four days in Bali. Ibu Wayan, the madam, the owner of the place, told me to sit down and calmly asked me what was wrong. I gave her my symptoms (sore and dry throat, blocked nose and exhaustion in general) and she took it upon herself to make me better. It was a hot pot of ginger tea, fresh fruits and her amazing pandan pancake for breakfast. At the end of the hour I spent on the breakfast bench, I was feeling so much more like myself, my voice was much better and I could breathe through my nose again.

When I came home from an 8 hour trip around Bali, Ibu Wayan offered me a bowl of pumpkin soup when I told her I forgot dinner - even though it was well near 10PM and her kitchen was empty. She cooks every day for breakfast and dinner by the way, and has to buy fresh ingredients every day. Her husband, a most humble and friendly man, offers to take me into town on his bike for many occassion - for the simple reason that I was a girl traveling alone. Together they will put you into a very relaxed state of mind and body. On my last night someone put some frangipani flowers on my bed, and I kept them right beside my pillows, and slept to the smells of frangipani and the sounds of crickets and the symphony of nature. On my very last day I booked for a massage in my room with a masseuse Ibu Wayan herself uses. Please ask Ibu Wayan for it - the masseuse was very good, and I believe every woman will LOVE the scrub (lulur) treatment. My skin is thanking her for it. What a way to end my stay.

If you are looking for a place that is different from any other, and an experience as well as a comfortable place to stay in, I urge you to try Mulawarman in Ubud. I think everyone will take away something great from the place. I can't even explain what happened to me here. I came home still refreshed and that almost never happens in my travels.

In conclusion, there is:
Wifi
Steaming hot water
The most comfortable bed and pillows in a hotel I have ever slept on
The best quiet and silence with nature for a truly relaxing experience
Ibu Wayan and her husband who will take care of you like their children

Simply amazing. I will come back next year with a few friends.

Ibu Wayan, terima kasih sudah menjaga saya. Semoga bisa ketemu Ibu sering-sering. Saya pasti kembali.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo