“Serene Oasis in the middle of Bali”
Review of Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

Bhuwana Ubud Hotel
Ranked #85 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First I want to start off by saying that our experience at the Bhuwana Hotel was nothing short of fabulous. You should know that because this is such a new hotel, it is in Ubud which is about a 90 minute drive from Kuta/Seminyak with traffic, and it is a little outside Ubud (about 5 minute drive), it is not as busy as other hotels located in Ubud. I found this to be great as the staff payed attention to me and my friend and pretty much catered to our every need. The hotel is next to rice fields, has a beautiful pool, a nice restaurant, and rooms that have everything you need. I would highly suggest anyone stay here, but know that you will most likely not see too many other guests while you are here. We went at the end of September/early October and the weather was perfect, about 85 every day.
The staff was so sweet, as was everyone we met in Bali. It was my friend's birthday while we were staying there and they got her a cake and sang her happy birthday as we were hanging out in the lobby waiting for the shuttle. So adorable and caring!
If you stay here you should definitely do the downhill biking tour on one day and the tubing/buggy adventure on another. The town of Ubud has great shopping and food (I thought better shopping than Seminyak).
Overall, 5 stars. Great location, good food, wonderful staff and cheap drinks!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor which had a nice deck overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here , everyone was really nice . Only ate breakfast which had a good assortment of stuff and the omelettes where very good. The rooms where perfect and I have no bad feedback. The hotel is a ten minute drive from the main area but there is a 2 hour free shuttle . We booked through Expedia and paid 60 dollars a night . Well worth the money

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Bhuwana Hotel in Ubud is an really good place to stay. We were positivly supprised with how beautiful, clean and spacious the rooms are.
The pool and the garden are both beautifully made. You will feel totally relaxed when you walk/lay or swim there.
The hotel is not located in the middle of the hectic Ubud centre but still close enough to walk there (30min). If you don't feel like walking you can take the free shuttlebus.
It definitely feels like a 5 star resort while it's actually a 3star. Which is a good thing as it means that the rooms are still quit cheap!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank thailalaudy
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hotel looks fantastic. Majestic reception area. Beautiful gardens and pool area. It's out of town and mostly empty so quiet and relaxing. Because its so quiet it has no atmosphere. The staff are lovely but most speak very poor English. There is a free shuttle into town but it only runs every 2 hours so can be restricting. If you're in a hurry to be up early for a tour or the 8am shuttle, factor in an extra 20 minutes for the shower to warm up. We were told this by staff on arrival and if you look back you'll see another reviewer mentioned it in May! Talking of temperature, the cooked buffet breakfast was always cold, either because the burners were unlit or there were no lids to keep the heat in. Room service left dirty cups uncleaned and didn't restock bathroom items.

We spoke to the Manager who admitted to the water heating problem but said it would be fixed by the following day - it wasn't! Let's face it, if it was mentioned in May its probably not fixable. The Manager blamed the poor room service and cold food on inadequate staff training. That's a terrible excuse for a USD$110 per night hotel. The day after we spoke to the Manager the food was still cold. Think about what happens to cold food in tropical third world countries!

I'd like to add that we've been to Bali 7 or 8 times over the last few years and understand that standards and customs are different to Western standards. We have stayed in great hotels every time and paid $50-70 a night. This trip was extra expensive and supposed to be a special treat. Instead we spent too much time trying to sort out problems. We were given one night free for our troubles but that doesn't compensate for the hassle.

By the way, Ubud was great.

Room Tip: Another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank prudee
candrawatiputu, Manager at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Mr/s Prudee,

Greeting From Bhuwana Ubud Hotel,

Thank you for your review to our hotel, it was lovely to meet you two days before you checked out from our hotel. It was nice conversation to talk how we can meet your expectation about the quality of 4 star plus hotel, indeed we are doing all the improvement to have the quality more than you have already been paid.
The heating water problem at the bathroom, right way to have check to heating water, we forgot to tell you how its work, because after checked the water indeed took time but less than 5 minutes, might you are not patient to wait at five minutes, so might always change the knop button to cold water, this will make the waiting time more longer than it should be.
For the breakfast, after installing the new equipment for breakfast buffet might we have no chance to introduce to you because you already checked out. As the previous equipment might always make the food only in warm condition.

We do appreciate for all your advise, we do hope all of your comment can give us motivation for always stand up to have the quality more than the guest already been paid. Looking forward to welcome you again at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

The place was beautiful, the taxi driver got lost on the way there but I think it was because it was not directly in town. The shuttle into town was handy. Very relaxing, love the pool bar , the restaurant was very affordable

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Leanne M
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The hotel was barely 1 year old, so the accommodations were great. The hotel arranged our airport pick up which was there upon arrival and took us straight to the hotel. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel organizes a shuttle and tours for you if you want to go out. There are free bike rentals so you can ride around the area. The wifi is in the restaurant and lobby which worked out well, because it forces you to leave your room and enjoy the evening outside getting to know the hotel staff. Food was great in the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have stayed in Bhuwana Ubud for 2 nights in August 2013. This was the worst hotel during my whole stay. Though the location of the hotel is great (beautiful views, quiet, not far from Ubud) and the hotel is quite clean, there was nothing else good about Bhuwana.

While booking I have send them a note that I would like to get a room with one double bed. It seems that nobody even read that remark, I got a twin room with two singe beds.

Just after checking into my room I have received a call from the receptionist. All he wanted was to inform me that they prefer cash as payment and if I would pay the room by a credit card, they will charge me 3% more ( usual practice in Bali shops, but I never experienced that in a hotel). Not a warm welcome...

There are two choices of the rooms: groundfloor and first floor. My room was upstairs and had a nice balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Rooms are simply furnished, quite spaciuos and clean, but the bathrooms are terrible- small, dark ( tiny, prison-like windows near the ceiling) and uncomfortably simplified. They provide just a tiny bathgel/shampoo, enough only for one shower. In the evening there was no hot water, but it seems to be a usual problem in Ubud hotels of that range.

The whole first floor has a dormitary feeling: a long corridor with rooms, separated by paper thin walls, so you can hear everything your neighbours are doing. The next morning I was woken up at 7.20 by a loud conversation of the staff cleaning the neighbouring room. I asked them to be more silent, as I was sick and needed more sleep, but they didnt. In the end I had to call the reception and ask them to stop the noise.

The food in the restaurant was terrible. I have ordered a grilled chicken for dinner; what I got was a pathetic piece of old rooster first cooked in unsalted water, then dried on the grill and spiced with bottled sauce. A shame to serve that to a guest, even in a low range hotel.

The breakfast was very poor, offering a few indonesian dishes ( nasi goreng, noodles), and some cheapest quality supplements. There were no fresh friuts, no butter, but some cheap artificial creamy thing instead, only one choice of cornflakes.

The staff in the restaurant hardly spoke English, however, they were very friendly and helpful.

As I asked the reception to organise a taxi for my departure, they tried to sell me their own service of driving me to Jimbaran for 350000rp (~35$), claiming that meter taxi would be even more expensive. As I said that I know the usual price is 250000Rp, the receptionist suddently could organise a taxi for 270000Rp. So, always bargain, as they try hard to overcharge you, hoping you dont notice. By the way, there are no metric taxis in Ubud, so you always have to agree a fixed price. But be careful, as taxi drivers also practice ripping-off tourits.
Overall, what I liked in this hotel was the location and cleanliness. But I wouldnt come back here again and I wouldnt recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SkierSwiss
candrawatiputu, Director of Sales at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

warmest regards from Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

first of all would like to thank you for stay at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

here with would like to response your positive comment to make a better service at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

take note for the room request, as we are high season on july and August we could not confirm the type of the room bed

take note for the payment by credit card, 3 % is bank fee

take note for the restaurant,staff,transport and wi-fi connection,here with would like to improve our service by doing some training to staff and making good service in the future.we are still in the process for the Wi-fi in the room and some provider could not working at Ubud area thats why the process a bit longer.price for the transport is a normal price in Ubud and we do searching from the other hotel in Ubud about transport price.

thank you for your reviewed and would like to serve you better in the future