“Lovely stay”

Ranked #69 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Jambi, Indonesia
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Perhaps the best thing to be said about Bhuwana is that management reads reviews and responds well. I had read that breakfasts were not too good, but by the time we arrived they were. Like our other meals, excellent. We brought our nine year-old son here for his birthday, and the first thing he said was "papa, this place is quality!" Service was excellent and the entire facility very attractive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have just had 5 lovely days here. Came here off the back of a week in Seminyak/Legian and really wanted a different/ quieter Bali experience. Staff are wonderful and could not help us enough with any of our needs. Great pool with a bar you can swim up to etc. Very, very quite, literally surrounded by rice fields. We went on a 1 hour guided walk with one of the Hotel staff through the fields one morning straight from the hotel. It's 4 kms out of Ubud so you can't just walk in and out easily - however the Shuttle ran every 2 hours on time and there is always a taxi (driver) service if you want to commute between the shuttle times. This was very inexpensive by Australian standards. This all worked well for us and we loved being able to come back to this oasis between shopping trips and after dinner! WiFi worked fine in our rooms. Breakfast was buffet , including an egg station - so freshly cooked eggs of your choice each day - can recommend the mixed omelet. One night they did a beautiful romantic dinner setting for some guests - set up a private gazebo across the pool from the main restaurant - surrounded the deck with flower petals, candles and a hand arranged flower motif on the flooring next the table for two. Looked divine when we had a look prior to the couple arriving! Only negative was that water did take 10 -15 minutes to heat up. Not the place for young children but we had 2 older teenagers with us, and they loved it also. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Second floor so you can see the rice paddies.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

New hotel, in nice location, a bit secluded but with an easy access. They have nice garden and atmosphere. Rooms are quite basic, but very spacious. 2nd floor have balconies and 1st floor terraces. Food variety is not much but is good and halal, so good for those who don't take pork. Service was average, as hotel is new and still developing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Slava D
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I'm in love with this hotel from the 1st I step in at the front gate..beautiful landscape, friendly staff, quick check in process..big and clean bed room, nice bathroom, vety comfort bed and pillow..
I'll really come back to this hotel for my stay st ubud
Keep up the good work Bhuwana

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I enjoyed my 6 days at this hotel. The pool is lovely, the staff friendly and the rooms were big and clean.

For $5 Australian, they will take you into Ubud. Or you can catch their free shuttle every two hours.

I didn't get a chance to try out the spa treatments, but other guests seemed very happy!

Downsides

-The hot water took a long time to come on (about 10 minutes for me), but I am not sure if that's normal, or if I was just unlucky.

-Both my friend and I got sick while there, as above, not sure if unlucky or a problem.

-No wifi in rooms

Room Tip: Make sure to get a second floor room, great view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 January 2014

If you like to go to sleep to the sound of cicadas and wake up to roosters crowing, this is a great place. It is quiet and scenic, though not far from Ubud Centre by motorbike or bicycle. Recommend getting bicycles provided FOC by the hotel to go around the rice paddies and villages around the resort, or even to Ubud Centre, if you aren't renting a motorbike/car.

The village of Mas is actually quite close to the hotel and is home to a large wood carving community. One can get great bargains on wooden statues as compared to galleries in Ubud, though most statues are made from crocodile wood or mahogany, rather than ebony.

What they have done right
- The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. I know the Balinese are known for their hospitality, but the warmth and concern the hotel staff showed took me by surprise. When I said I would like to take back some sweets from Bali, the hotel staff made arrangements and surprised me with boxes of Balinese Oleh oleh and Dodol sweets. I couldn't quantitatively rate that level of service.
- They grow a lot of the fruit and vegetable produce used in the restaurant around the hotel itself. Fresh fruits and vegetables at the breakfast table.
- Bicycles provided by the hotel let you take the roads through the paddy fields around the hotel
- The location is ideal. Not too far from Ubud, but far enough to be quiet. Also, it is about 15 minutes from Ketut Liyer's (Eat, Pray, Love) house.

What they can do better
- WiFi. This is something basic, and when I checked in on 14 Jan 2014, they only had WiFi at the reception and in the restaurant. By the time I checked out on 18 Jan 2014, they had set up 4 hotspots, two of which gave me a strong signal in my room. Thankfully I didn't have to end up checking-in from the restaurant/hotel lobby.
- The quality of the food served in the restaurant is adequate, but I would rate it below par as compared to some of the eating establishments in Ubud centre. The breakfast buffet is quite good, however, and the staff are happy to change the dishes to suit dietary needs. I really appreciated the restaurant staff preparing a breakfast box for us since we checked out early.
- There is a shuttle service available to and from Ubud Centre every 2 hours. There's some uncertainty over whether the pickup shuttle from Ubud Centre has left, and sometimes the shuttle is delayed due to traffic. Given other hotels also have shuttle services, perhaps something can be done to pool together resources and improve the shuttle frequency.

Tip - In the afternoons, chat up the gentleman who sits in the Balinese hut on the left before the entrance to the main lobby to have his lunch. My wife and I spent an hour chatting with him one afternoon and learnt more about Balinese culture and philosophy than from any of the tour guides we hired.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony view of the paddy fields, choose rooms farthest from the reception.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank solasonic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My experience during stay at this hotel :
- It's new hotel.
- The hotel manager and receptionist great us with warm smile. Welcome come drink also served after we checked-in.
- wi-fi only available at main lobby (receptionist lobby).
- Porter who accompany us to the room was polite.

- Breakfast buffet are available at restaurant hotel. It's not luxury one, but was OK.
- Enjoying breakfast with swimming pool view.
- Free shuttle to and from Ubud market is provided by hotel. Sign-up several hours before the schedule.
- Free bicycle from hotel if you want to bike around the hotel. It's surrounding by paddy fields.

- Room was nice, clean, and have a good quality bed to sleep.
- Better view if you stay in second floor.
- I didn't use the swimming pool, but it was tempted. Also you can sun-bathing around the pool.
- Bathroom amenities are available as complimentary.
- Having lunch at hotel restaurant but better you try another cuisine at Ubud market area for unique experience at Bali.
- The hotel have huge garden with many kind of fruit , flower, and vegetables tree.
- Cleaning service was OK, they clean the room every morning.

- Check out was fast and they provided car for rental from hotel. I used it from hotel to Kuta (paid IDR 250K).

Room Tip: Choose second floor room for better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple