“Tranquility, elegance at a reasonable price”
Review of Alaya Resort Ubud

Alaya Resort Ubud
Ranked #43 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Very effective personnel, always proactive and smiling. Very clean. Excellent breakfast. It is within a walking distance from the center of Ubud and right by the monkey forest. The food is also very good, but in case you need there is s supermarket , nearby

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Pedro F,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Glad you had a satisfying holiday experience with us. Although located in downtown Ubud, we maintain a quiet and peaceful atmosphere, ensuring each guest can enjoy their time, in seclusion or amidst the shopping scenes of Ubud. Glad you found our staff attentive and caring as they are accustomed to treating guests as a member of a big family.
Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you again to Alaya Ubud on your next visit to Bali.

Alaya Resort Ubud Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Only stayed 2 nights there but wish I had stayed longer... This resort is beautifully designed, the atmosphere divine, position is ideal (walking distance to main Ubud attractions including Monkey Forest, yoga barn next door, Ubud markets, etc.). The staff are so helpful and will make your stay a memorable one. The best aspect was Dala SPA (which in their Kuta resort location has won many awards). It won't be long before this one follows suit in my opinion (and I have been to a few spas...). Absolutely gorgeous surroundings and treatment rooms, you will feel pampered like no other! The SPA restaurant was not operational when I was there but their menu looks fantastic. The resort restaurant serves amazing food however and again, the little touches will make you feel like royalty (eg. watermelon slice carved in the shape of a butterfly to decorate your freshly squeezed juice, the afternoon tea delicacies offered complimentary every day, etc.). Included breakfast was very generous. I attended a yoga class and a balinese offering class, which were also offered complementary by the resort. My only regret: to not have enough time to enjoy my room, my gigantic bathtub, my balcony overlooking the rice paddies, and the resort pool which looked so inviting... Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I had a top level room towards the back - great views over pool and rice paddies
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Oceaniafoodie
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Isabelleinsydney,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your great comment about our recently opened DaLa Spa, it was designed to take the experience of Balinese rejuvenation to the next level in a serene setting that is sensitive to the surrounding environment and attention to every detail for your wellbeing. While our menu is aimed to ensure that diners are introduced to some of the best dishes that Bali has to offer. Please let us know during your next visit if you want to try our spa dining so we can arrange it for you. Look forward to welcoming you again at Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Balinese really has amazing aesthetic. This hotel is a great combination of Balinese & European styles. While it is not the traditional bungalow one should stay when in Ubud, this hotel cleverly combines Balinese open style, western motel construction, modern interior design to make the best of those elements. The service at the restaurant and room service is a bit slow; or rather Balinese is used to a slower pace of life style. The spa is stunning & service is great.

Room Tip: The middle of the further building is the best bet. Too close to the front, you don't get the a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Minnie Y,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you found your stay with us great and to your fullest satisfaction. Alaya Ubud was designed by Grounds Kent Architects, showing a modern interpretation of Bali’s local building culture combining indigenous materials and innovative examples of island-inspired artistry. Landscaping is by Made Wijaya, Bali’s very own authority on tropical gardens. DaLa Spa was styled by Moroccan-born interior decorator Zohra Boukhari, known for her use of rich textiles, vintage-inspired furnishings and mood-enhancing lighting. Look forward to seeing you again at Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

If your after a peaceful relaxing holiday without all the drinking and partying of a large crowd then this is the place for you. I only spent 2 days at Alaya, the design of the rooms in this place is gorgeous, coffee is good, food is delightful and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. It's a short walk from Monkey temple and the markets. The only thing I can really complain about is the lack of chairs by the pool and having no umbrellas over the chairs they do have is completely ridiculous, the staff seemed surprised I was happier to lie on the ground under a tree rather then in the sun on a chair.

Room Tip: ask for a room by the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Memy5e1fand1,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had a beautiful experience during your stay with us. Despite its ideal location in downtown Ubud, our boutique hotel maintains its secluded atmosphere and personalized treatments. We take pride in our restaurant, Petani which serve perfectly rich blended Indonesian coffee beans. We look forward to welcoming you here again on your next visit to Ubud.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I visited Alaya very recently (April 2013) and originally had intended to stay only 4 days. But I loved it so much that I extended my stay for a total of 11 days!!
The reason was simple - It was great on every parameter..

Location - Amazing - On Jln Hanuman, walking from the Ubud market (15-20 mins). Right next to a super market and all other things one may require.
The best thing about the location - Yoga barn (which is equally outstanding) is right next door!

Room & Service - Great as well. Each room is tastefully done with a private balcony, which makes the room private and quiet. My rooms were far away from the restaurant, so even better. Service was prompt and personal. The staff was very helpful and each of them would go out of their way to help me.

Food - I loved the food!! Infact, the Master chef was kind enough to even teach me how to make my fav Indonesian Dessert :-) Very nice of him...!
Breakfast was great too.

Value - Given the hotel is new, I got it on a reasonable price. Having said that, as time passes and tourist activity increase - it will become expensive. Said that - I think its totally worth it.

I cannot recommend the hotel more to anyone - couples, families and solo travellers.

Well done Team Alaya, you made me feel very much at home. I will definitely return :) and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Room farther off from the restaurant and the street are quieter. You may get some noise from the Yog...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear AmritaS82,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction during your stay with us. We want to place Alaya as your home away from home, so every team at Alaya will welcome and treat you as a member of our large family.
Again, we appreciate your comment and we looking forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

ok i now understand that it is a new place but i here are some positives
- Breakfast is a great change to the 'pigs day out' style most hotels offer... personally it makes me sick watching westerners binge at buffett breakfasts - this is a nice change - i mean fresh fruit, good coffee and a freshly squeezed juice and another option of e.g. eggs is pretty good!
- rooms are beautiful
- free afternoon tea is delightful
- great location - YOGABARN is net door

the following wasn't so great
- breakfast staff where all over the place - often we got things at different times - often i would ask for my coffee last and it would come out before my food
- my mini fridge was broken - took a bit of asking to finally get a working one (they bought me a bucket of ice cubes, and said it doesn't keep it cold just cool? when it was almost warm!) i had to be a little firmer that i actually had personal items that i really need refrigerating that i had bought from elsewhere until they finally changed it
- internet connection is shocking
- only like 8 pool beds?

generally very good! but it is not cheap so i expect probably a few changes :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tera T,
Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate your patience during your stay with us. We value your inputs and are working hard to improve our service. Hopefully you can come visit us again and be happy with the progress we've made. Again, thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you again to Alaya Ubud on your next trip here.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I had the most peaceful and relaxing stay at Alaya. The beds and pillows where like floating in a cloud they where so comfortable. We had the large bath which we filled and had no problems with the hot water and it would be very romantic for a couple. Airconditioning was great and the staff where extremely friendly and nothing was to much trouble. I loved the outlook as we watched the farmers herd the ducks to different rice fields and seeing the farmers working the paddies. Love the location, it was close to everything we wanted to see. The Sota Ayam on the menu was fantastic, I could have eaten it every day. Rooms are very clean and have beautiful decor. Look forward to visiting again. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Ubud.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear chevaughn s,
We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience during your stay with us. We want to reflect the atmosphere and spacious lush open paddy fields in our rooms, complete with all the farming activity paintings on the wall. Chef Siharta from our kitchen is the creator of all mouth-watering dishes in Petani Restaurant. We would like to all our guests to consider Alaya as their home in Ubud.