“Wow!”

Alaya Resort Ubud
Ranked #44 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
“Wow!”
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Still staying at this resort at the moment, last night of a 4 night stay. The location is fantastic, on JL Hanoman. Lots of lovely shops in JL Hanoman and it runs parallel to Monkey Forest Rd. The resort is also right next to yoga barn. The decor in the hotel is beautiful. The rooms are amazing, all the rooms have balconies overlooking the rice paddies, nice comfy day bed on the balcony and if you get one of the rooms with a bathtub, you are in for a treat. The toiletries supplied are luxurious and smell lovely. The restaurant (Petani) is the best food I have eaten in Ubud, the chef is amazing. And the coffee is the best I have had in Bali. Chef Sharta came out one night to have a chat with us and ask us how we liked the food, was so nice that he took the time to talk to us. The breakfast and afternoon tea was included in the price of our stay and is very high quality. All the staff here are excellent, they are all trained to a very high standard, enjoyed chatting to Oka and Sriani and all the other staff. As other reviewers have said, the pool is quite small and not many sun lounges but we did manage to get a spot each day as there were a few sunbeds available. I really love staying here and highly recommend it to others. I am sure it will be number 1 in Ubud soon :).

• Stayed May 2013
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Fizzles,

We are happy that you had a fantastic stay with us, that you enjoyed all the small convenience details we offer starting from the rooms and decor, view, and dining at Petani. We aim to give you the complete senses journey, sight, smell and taste, from the moment you walk in our property until you leave. All our staff consistently offer services that comes from their heart, treating each guest as a member of our large and happy family.
Thank you for your praising review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud.

Alaya Resort Ubud Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in May after getting a good deal on wotif. It is close to Monkey Forest on Hanomen rd and has only been opened for 3 months. The rooms are spacious and have a nice outdoor chill area. When we stayed it was fully occupied but the hotel didn't feel overly crowded. The only downside of the whole hotel, is an on the small side swimming pool, but I guess you don't come to Ubud to just lie around the pool.
The food at this hotel is top class and I think really sets it apart. All the meals we had were some of the nicest we had in Bali, the local meals and flavours and small touches were sensational. I can also say that this place probably has the best coffee in Bali. The chef came out to talk to us one night and I wasn't surprised when he mentioned he was the chef for the King of Ubud for some time. He brings the familiar dishes and the truly local dishes of Bali alive and presents them in his own unique way, this should appeal to all tastes, even people that may not usually go for the Indonesian/Bali food. I was seeking Bali dishes out by the end of our stay as I knew they would be great and I wasn't disappointed.
Love the staff, love the layout and overall design of this hotel, definitely love the food, love this hotel.

Room Tip: We were right up the front top floor of the hotel and it was great to be close to the restaurant, bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Flyfarflungaway,
We are so happy you had an exceptional time staying with us. Indeed Chef Siharta leads Petani restaurant with a goal to ensure guest satisfaction with a unique flair, giving best of all worlds in a bite. Each dish is a creation, while keeping healthy ingredients and local produces a priority. as Again, thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you again to Ubud and Petani on your next visit.

Boston
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I love love love this hotel. It's brand new, so not many know, but the service is great, the room is gorgeous, the location is perfect, the staff are super friendly and helpful, the SPA is amazing and the restaurant is the best in Ubud! It's 5-star all the way. Please check it out and you will love it too!

Room Tip: ask for rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors and you will get the gorgeous rice field view. The first floor i...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Shirleyzhouzhou,

We are happy that you loved to stay with us from the rooms, view, food and DaLa Spa. We aim to give you the complete senses journey from the moment you walk in our property until you leave. All our staff consistently offer services that comes from their heart, treating each guest as a member of our large and happy family.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 20 May 2013

this hotel ist just what we expected from the website. we felt very relaxed and the reastaurant had a really modern and nice design, so was the food.

- nice modern design
- very spacious rooms
- lovely ricefield view
- very good breakfast
- professional staff
- free shuttle to ubud area

the area was a bit away from the hustle (near arma museum) but still central and everything was in easy reach especially wiht the free shuttle service

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank vanessa w
Dear Vanessa W,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Alaya Ubud is perfect for guests looking to experience the village of Ubud and all of its attributes, because it is within easy walking distance to the Monkey Forrest. People can opt to enjoy Ubud’s vibrant area or simply relax in our secluded area and surrounded by lush paddy fields.
Appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is an unqualified recommendation!
Great location. The quieter junction of Hanoman Street and Monkey Forest Road.
Great resort with hotel style accomodation but still retains an essence of integration into the prettier aspects of Ubud.. Every room looks out onto a rice field. We stayed in the Alaya Room with a stone bathtub and we had a private terrace.The beds are so comfy too.. We sure enjoyed our slumber.
A large hotel that feels intimate and homely.
Excellent helpful staff. Every staff member seemed to be an Ubud local and exhibited great knowledge about Ubud.
Petani Restaurant is located next to the lobby and is most convenient and a great hub. Chef Made Siharta created new twists on the local dishes. We enjoyed each and every one of his many delights with amazing views of the lush rice fields. How romantic. The fabulous La Marzocco coffee machine makes the best coffee we found in Bali.
The inclusive Breakfast and Afternoon Tea makes this amazing value.
The pool was lovely with the outdoor day beds, bar area and attendant.
We treated ourselves several times to the DaLa Spa, which is located at the far end of the Alaya. It is a most calm, very spacious and relaxing area. The DaLa Spa offers a diverse range of treatments for both Men and Women. The spa treatment rooms are beautifully presented and extremely clean with A++ hygiene with wonderful products. The welcome jamu drink sure went down well as did the yummy hot tea and ginger biscuits after treatments. A divine experience.
We are already planning our trip back to the Alaya Resort.
For those planning a trip to Ubud we thoroughly recommend The Alaya Resort.

2 Thank honeybougie
Dear Honeybougey,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We can’t thank you enough for your abundant praises, reviews like this are what make our effort worth while.
All our property facilities, including Petani and DaLa Spa was designed to take the experience of staying in the heart of Ubud to the next level, nestled in a serene setting yet still connected to the surrounding environment. Each details has been designed to create a memorable journey for each guest, from our delicious cuisine, rejuvenating spa treatment, and staff hospitality.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud and hope your next visit will be just as memorable as this one.

Paris
Reviewed 18 May 2013

... and then prices will most likely increase! What we had for what we were charged was just amazing value for money, no doubt it won't last.

Frankly, this is as great as a central hotel can be. You may want to pay more in a different hotel to get, say, a private swimming pool, but then you would not be centrally located.

The rooms are perfect, with amazing views towards rice paddies. We had a room with shower (no bath tub) and it was just beautiful. Our room was quite at the back, so perfectly quiet.

Service is just perfect. My wife was sick and the guys were wonderful to help me to get the right medicines, driving me in shuttle first, then by scooter, to the large chemist and then to the loca hospital. All for free, and the guy seemed honestly surprised I tipped him. Service in general was just flawless.

Nice swimming pool in front of the rice paddies.

The hotel is 5-10 min walk away from the Monkey Forest, 15 min walk away from Ubud Palace and Ubud Market, and right next to the popular Yoga Barn.

Dear Olivier_Reiz,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are genuinely pleased that you experienced our warm hospitality.
We strive to set ourselves apart from other boutique hotels in Ubud in terms of our great location, right in the midst of Ubud’s bustling scenery, yet still maintain the option of seclusion and relaxation which Ubud is famous, for each of our guest. All our staff services come from the heart, as they consider and treat each guest like a member of their own large family. The wellbeing and satisfaction of each guest is our priority.
Much appreciate for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud on your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

I adored everything about my 5 night stay at the Alaya. I arrived mid afternoon having had a 2 night stay in Seminyak that was mediocre.
From the moment my driver pulled up in the driveway at the Alaya, I knew I was in for something special. The reception area is spacious and completely open from the street .... there are no doors! The lovely cafe/restaurant sits alongside reception so it is all one big open space.
The check-in process was seamless. A wonderful warm greeting, a refreshing tasty mocktail presented and a cool towel. After an easy check-in, I was taken to my room and given a full-tour of the room features and how everything works by a wonderful staff member.
My room was on the ground level and my spacious undercover patio, complete with ceiling fan, included a table and chairs and a day bed! One morning I got up at 5.30am to lay on the daybed to watch the sunrise ... just beautiful!
The room overlooked rice paddies and ducks and was just gorgeous.
My room was an Alaya Room and did not have the bathtub that other reviewers have mentioned that features in the Deluxe room type, but this was not missed. My room was just perfect. It was very spacious and the bed was huge, incredibly comfortable and beautifully appointed. The bathroom is all open ... a basin within the room next to a large rainfall shower. The toilet sits behind a matt-glass door.
Large flat screen TV sits on the wall in front of the bed, and above a large built in desk. The addition of a chair within the room, at the desk, would have been a great addition - but that is the only thing that was missing.
I was told the bar fridge is set to only keep drinks cool - not cold.
Breakfast and afternoon tea were included in my package and both were fantastic. The breakfast is a la carte as opposed to a buffet, which was a welcome change from what most hotels of this class are offering. There were plenty of options as well as three choices of set menu breakfasts - all massive servings. The italian style coffee was great.
I loved the pool area and spent quite a few hours during my stay lounging by the pool. There is a bar and staff member there at all times so drinks and food can be ordered and delivered to your lounge. I did note that umbrellas were not there which if the weather had been really hot, an umbrella for some sun protection would have been required.
The day spa is located at the back of the property and is one of the highlights. Although not cheap (not Bali prices ... but certainly not Australian prices either) I visited the spa twice .. once for a complimentary one hour Balinese massage that was included in my package that I had on my second day and was just wonderful. My second visit was on my last day after I had checked out and before I flew back to Sydney. I booked in for the 4 hour package which included a lunch or dinner at the spa restaurant. Beautiful tables and chairs are set up overlooking the lush surrounds and the YogaBarn next door. The three course food was light and delicious and the spa treatments were out of this world. After a total of 5 hours at the spa ... I floated out of there feeling amazing!
The location of the hotel is fantastic. Although on quite a busy street ... you would never know once you pass the restaurant and head to your room. So tranquil and quiet. It was easy to walk everywhere and lots of great restaurants nearby, as well as a big supermarket.
One of other great features of the hotel is the complimentary driver and car available to take guests to local spots around Ubud. I used this service twice - once to get to the Palace for a dance performance and another time to take me to a place just outside Ubud (a restaurant I wanted to go to called Fly Cafe) which I was told would be a charge of as it was outside of Ubud. This only cost 50,000rp each way which I was more than happy to pay. When I was finished at the restaurant, I called the hotel and the driver came to collect me. Couldn't ask for more!
The staff at this hotel are wonderful. So friendly and professional and made me feel so welcome. I loved that they all seem to remember my name and I was often greeted by name every time they saw me.
This was my first time to Ubud, my first time to Bali actually, and I will never forget my stay at the Alaya. I highly recommend this hotel and I am already planning my return for a holiday next year where I will most definitely return to the Alaya.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LeeLahLah
Dear LeeLahLah,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We can’t thank you enough for your unending praises, comments like this are what we are constantly aiming to receive from every guest that stay with us.
Alaya Ubud simply seeks to offer the complete Ubud experience, starting from the time the guest enters our lobby, and throughout their stay with us, until leaving. all the minute details in our property are designed to bring together an journey to be remembered away from home, not just merely staying in a hotel room. Our ideal location, helpful staff and the complete property facilities is what we hope can put Alaya Ubud on the map of best hotels in Bali.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud on your next visit to Bali.