“Comfiest beds in all of Bali. Real barista coffee too”
Review of Alaya Resort Ubud

Alaya Resort Ubud
Ranked #42 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed in two rooms at this hotel with our 2 teenagers. Beds were very soft and comfortable. We warmed to this hotel very quickly. Staff were very friendly and service exceeded expectations. For example we had the free afternoon tea delivered to our room instead of having it in the restaurant one afternoon. The a la carte breakfast came with real coffee (capuccino etc) or hot chocolate which was great option for the kids. Because we stayed more than 3 nights, we were given complementary foot massages at their Spa. Wow wow wow. Fantastic spa facilities and their sister spa in Seminyak has won best spa awards which obviously have been transferred to Alayas spa facilities. We felt really at home and the hotel was in a good spot down near the monkey forest end. The hotel also offers a shuttle service upon availability, which will take you anywhere within Ubud CBD. They took us to a little restaurant we wanted to go to, and then picked us up at the end of the night afterwards. We had an early start to go on day trips and they were happy to bring our breakfast to our room and we ate on our little balcony instead of going up to the restaurant. Fabulous little extras that mad all the difference to our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear qlddebo,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed staying with us. We aim to provide 5-star service, convenience, and facilities to each guest yet still able to keep the Ubud ambiance.
Once again thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at the Alaya Resort in Ubud for 2 weeks in January 2014.

At $140/night, the resort is considered higher end as homestays in the area can be found for $10-30/night and comparable resorts can be reserved for $60-100/night.

The good: The resort is pretty but definitely more modern/Western style than traditional Balinesean. The staff is phenomenal, extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are delicious with a vast array of options. The pool is nice and the rooms are spacious and clean. The bed is huge and extremely comfortable! Try to get a room near the back where it is quiet with stunning views of rice fields.

The bad & ugly: The very first night, I couldn't sleep because my room (216/217?) smelled strongly of urine. The staff tried to clean the bathroom twice but the stench was overpowering and I called the front desk at 3am because I couldn't sleep due to the terrible stink. I was temporarily moved to another room for the night and assigned a new room in the morning.

My new room didn't smell like someone has peed in the bed. Minor details were disappointing here and there (my fruit basket wasn't filled a couple times) and I think reception mixed up my room with someone else's because one night I had room service delivered food to my door (not mine) and another night I came home to a basket of clean laundry in my room (not mine).

To thank me for my 2-week stay, I was gifted a "set dinner." The "set dinner" consisted of two courses (who does a 2-course set menu?!) and it was just okay. The amuse bouche was a tiny piece of eggplant on a square of toasted white Wonderbread. Yikes.

All in all, I had a nice stay but I'm not sure I'd be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear happykittn,

Thank you for staying at Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us. We value your inputs and have advised our management of these issues. Hopefully you can come visit us again and be happy with the progress we've made.
Much appreciate for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud on your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

As a newly weds who work in Bali, we were looking forward to a short honeymoon escape at Ubud area. Based on one of our colleague recommendation, we finally chose Alaya as our sanctuary and indeed it was. First thing that we want to highlight is the sleeping quality. The design of the bed creates romantic and comfortable moment with my love one. They got really nice touch with the daybed in the patio. Perfect spot for honeymooners. The food quality is nice. The service was excellent. You can literally feel the sincere and warm welcome from each member. The location really pampers your experience in travelling to every corner around Ubud center. Perfect escape!

2  Thank Bagistav O
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear johnw00,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you found your stay with us up to your expectations. Alaya Ubud is one of favorite resort for honeymooners at Ubud; guest can enjoy the sunbathing at pool surrounding nature view, experience Balinese relaxation at DaLa Spa and also private romantic dinner.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Great Resort in the heart of Ubud, great views. Room is spacious and clean. Food is delicious. Easy check in process. 5 star quality and 5 star service, and it's all new. Really recommend as the top option in Ubud area. There was nothing wrong during my stay, so I give it a 5.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slava D

Dear SlavaDyugaev,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you found your stay with us up to your expectations. We aim to provide 5-star service, convenience, and facilities to each guest yet still able to keep the Ubud ambiance.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

After reading so many reviews on tripadvisor, we decide to book Alaya for our short holiday. We book directly through the hotel reservation as cheaper than other booking sites. We receive great service from the check in until the check out. Front office staffs were very good. Check in process was fast although we have to wait for for the room, but the resort was so nice that we decide to wait in the lobby enjoying cold towel and welcome drink. Staff took us to the room and explain everything, which was very good.

Room, especially the bed is huge. There's no wall for the bathroom, only the curtains but that's no problem. Everything was working properly and in very good condition. We have all from hair dryer, mosquito repellent, tea facilities, shopping bag etc. Internet from the room was good.

View from the room is paddyfield which was very relaxing just to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. It's very nice waking up in the morning to see this view.

We got afternoon tea to enjoy accompany by local pastry and cakes. I was amazed that they offer not only regular tea or coffee, but we can choose many types of tea and latte, cappuccino, or espresso. The coffee was very good.

Swimming pool was very nice and quiet so it's nice to relax by the pool.

The best thing is breakfast, it's a'la carte breakfast but they give everything beside the main course from fruits, juice, yoghurt, any kind of coffee and tea, pastries/bread. I like the juice, it's from the best freshest fruits.

Didn't try the spa, but i see the spa place was very nice.

I love the toiletries especially shower gel, it's not the usual commercial products, it's vanilla and rosemary (if i'm not mistaken). Too bad I forgot to ask where can I buy the shower gel. It was really good and relaxing.

Sure I want to go back.

Room Tip: Choose higher level to face paddy fields, or ground level to face the swimming pool.

Dear Kiki K,

Thank you for visiting Alaya Resort Ubud and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed staying with us from the view, room, food and services. All rooms at Alaya overlooking to the paddy filed with private balcony and our amenities product made special for Alaya.
Once again thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud and also for a relaxation at award winning DaLa Spa.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

You won't find this little gem in any guide book.

5 star service, 5 star rooms and a fantastic view of the paddy fields. I was pretty disappointed with Bali in general, but this hotel met all my expectations and exceeded them.

Waking up every morning to a wonderful breakfast, and also coming back to the hotel to their tea time break was a treat.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing both the pool and the paddy fields so you get a room right at the back which a...
4  Thank AlvinChanJB
AlayaResortUbud, Manager at Alaya Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear AlvinChanJB,

We value your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alaya Ubud.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I would highly recommend the Alaya. This was our first few nights in Bali and was the most amazing experience. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to our requests whether it was about their culture , food on the menu or sightseeing. One reason to go back to Bali for me would be so I can have a few nights at the Alaya. Service overall was amazing staff were absolutely beautiful and helpfull. Can't say enough.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family