“Home away from home”

Ranked #54 of 555 Ubud B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

During my work related stay in Ubud, I stayed six months (March 2013 to August 2013) in room no 3 at Gusti Kaler house. It was such a pleasant experience which I will never forget. The room was very spacious and comfortable. This small Balinese style villa with beautiful Balinese woodcarving doors and furniture had a spacious kitchen small living room and a spacious bathroom. The well maintained garden with beautiful plants and trees (which was cleaned every morning by the landlord) was a lovely view from the room or patio. The patio was spacious and it was a great place to sit and relax in the morning or evening (or whenever you want). Gusti Kaler house is situated very close to the Ubud town centre (less than 5 minutes walk to the Jalan Raya Ubud , Main Street of Ubud or Ubud market place). Although the home stay is situated (in Jalan Sriwedari) very close to the town, it is a very quiet, peaceful and relaxing place. There are 5 guest rooms/small villas (2 recently build) in the family compound. They all are well maintained and cleaned regularly. The family compound is a well secured place and I never had any uncomfortable feeling at any time.

During my stay at Gusti Kaler house, I felt like I was at my own home with my family. The host family and their extended family were so helpful and I was treated like one of their own family members.

I recommend this place to anyone who would like to stay long or short term in Ubud as you are close to restaurants, Ubud, Palace, Ubud museum and other interesting places in Ubud.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a spacious kitchen and a small living room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AusiTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in room number 1, a separate room to the others. On arrival we were impressed by the carved wooden door and shutters. We arrived at about 10am, too early for check in but the room was ready and they let us check in early for no extra charge. Immediately we found a thermos, tea, coffee and sugar on our terrace outside. This continued for the rest of our stay, and was refreshed regularly. Breakfast (included) changes every day (I think) and we got to taste some interesting local dishes. The first morning it was an omelette with a plate of fruit and the second morning we had black rice, rice with coconut and palm sugar, which was a first for us but delicious, again with more fruit.

During our stay we visited the elephant cave and had not much choice to get an unregistered taxi back after a bit of negotiating on his ridiculous quotation of 140,000 rupiah. When we got back to the hotel I realised I'd lost my iPod touch and that it's probably fallen out of my pocket after showing the taxi driver where we wanted to go on google maps. A bit distressed, I asked the family if there was anything I could do to get it back like go to the tourist police but within minutes the family were searching for the moped keys and I was on the back of it with the owner going in search of the taxi. It must've been my lucky day as we found it exactly where we got into it originally at the elephant cave, it was parked in the same spot. The taxi driver didn't understand what I wanted but the tourist police translated and let me have a look in the taxi. Where I found my iPod! I couldn't have been more thankful to any of them, especially the wonderful man who'd driven me all the way there. When we got back I asked how much the fuel was for the scooter and when he realised what I was asking, refused any type of compensation for his time or fuel. Of course we managed to force some thank you money on him in the end, he saved us not just a lot of money but from having our few days in Bali spoiled, which I'm sure my boyfriend was very thankful for.

We had a wonderful time here and the family are fantastic, highly recommend and we would definitely stay here again.

Thank you so much!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Anna211092
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

What the others say in the reviews are all absolutely correct. .. and they allow you to participate in their ceremonies which is so very special. I came for 4 nights and stayed over two weeks, because it was so lovely, why go anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank AtsTQ
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This little home stay is my home away from home in Bali. The garden is beautiful and the rooms are immaculate, inviting and serene. At night you can hear gamelan practice from the nearby temple waft through the air. It is perfect to go to sleep by...peaceful and enchanting. The family is warm and welcoming and serve a lovely, fresh breakfast each morning. This is my little piece of paradise and I thank the family with all my heart.
Margaret

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here about a week in May 2013. The place is beautiful, serene and inexpensive. It's just a short walking distance from the main part of Ubud. With their garden it's like living in a temple. The owners are so friendly and breakfast and wi-fi were included.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The owner and his family are very nice and warmly, give me a lot of help during my stay.
Great Balinese ! And the place is clean and quite, love their breakfast !
The location is also good, close to main street. It's good to stay here, to see their life style.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

l stay here three nights, very quiet and cozy. The owner and his family all super nice and friendly. Location is convenient, very colse to the main street. By the way, top1 and top4 restaurant on tripadvisor just at the same street, 5 mins by walk. l will come back next time. Don't miss it when you visit Ubud. 我住在這裡3晚…… 非常喜歡這裡!!! 安靜而且舒適。離主街走路只需5分鐘,由其非常適合獨自旅行者只為休息而不是趕觀光景點的遊客。

• Stayed May 2013