“Booked 3 nights stayed 6”
Review of Tanah Semujan Ubud

Tanah Semujan Ubud
Ranked #26 of 616 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2013

A new hotel on Jl Bisma which is very clean and well appointed. Rooms were cleaned thoroughly each day! It is not far from the centre of Ubud but extremely quiet and peaceful. Wayan the owner is just lovely and makes a great breakfast as well. He is happy to help if you ask but does not push tours etc. Each room is provided with a thermos of boiling water each day and tea bags and Kopi Bali so you can help yourself to drinks all day. (A great family business)
We used his friend also Wayan as a driver to get from the airport to Ubud late at night and I would highly recommend him also.

Room Tip: End rooms have air con and more windows.
1  Thank Wendy R

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We enjoyed Tanah Semujan and Ubud so much, we extended our 3 night stay to 6 nights. The hotel is only 12 months old and our room, while basic, was immaculately clean and nicely furnished. The hotel was in a very quiet area only a 10 minute walk to the centre of town, with plenty of restaurants along the way. Wayan could not have been more helpful, answering all our questions and sharing his local knowledge freely. I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I arrived for my first time in Ubud travelling alone by bus from Sanur, and having read the reviews I was conscious Tanah Semujan would be a bit of a walk from the bus stop in Ubud so called ahead and was delighted when Wayan offered to come and collect me. I hopped on the back of his bike with my rucksack stowed in the front, and we took off for the short ride to the hotel. My grin got wider and wider as we passed beautiful rice fields along a few winding paths and pulled up outside the newly built, pretty building.
Set in a lovely garden next to a forested area, terraces from all the rooms look out over lush greenery and ornate rooflines in the traditional architecture of buildings opposite.
Janan Bisma street is completely peaceful and quiet right beside the heart of the action, providing the perfect base for walking everywhere. I could not have been better located for 10 minute walk to the entrance to Monkey forest in one direction, and 10 minute walk to the main street with access to dance performances and the very many bars, restaurants and shops of Ubud in the other direction.
The light in my large room was beautiful and the whole building was kept spotlessly clean. Wayan was very helpful with local advice for anything I asked and can also help with bookings for local bike tours or any other kind of activity. My days there were so peaceful, I slept so well. I was very happy with my stay and would recommend Tanah Semujan as a great place to see Ubud from.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank mimimakestracks
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights here.

There was a little confusion after booking via booking.com - I would recommend checking the reservation with 2 email addresses: info@tanahsemujanubud.com and ecommerce@tanahsemujanubud.com . At the time we stayed there he had some serious family commitments so was pretty busy.

We still found Wayan extremely helpful and friendly, and as others have mentioned the breakfasts served on the balcony were delicious. The rooms are massive, with lovely sliding doors, air con, mossie nets and even a bath in the bathroom! We enjoyed sitting out on the spacious balcony.

To find it walk about midway down Janan Bisma and turn off at Prologue Restaurant - Its signposted. The road its self is very nice - a world away from adjacent and commercial Monkey Forest rd. We had lovely walks to a selection of nice restaurants past fireflies in the rice paddies. The road is paved but not all the way so quite free from traffic. At night you can hear the 'thud thud' of bass beats from monkey forest rd, but not so loud and didn't bother us.

If you want to take a trip I'd recommend Dinas - they are just along the road from the hotel (north, on the right), and a family run business. We took a car and a driver for US$50 from 9-6 and he drove us all over the place, with excellent English, a nice car and lots of local knowledge.

Room Tip: We had the room on the top right, it had an extra window as its on the end that overlooked a bit of...
2  Thank Rhian H
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We made (very!) last minute reservations using a third party website from the airport on our way to Bali! Because our reservation was not only made just a couple hours before our planned arrival but also was made through an external site, I was worried that we'd show up and not have a room ready or available for us.
My worries were totally unfounded as the owner, Wayan, not only had our room ready, he greeted us at the front of the guest house and knew exactly who we were before we even asked about the reservation!
The location is perfect - Jl Bisma is one of my favorite streets in Ubud as it's much less busy and crowded than the main routes but close enough to walk to the action in just a few minutes. We loved taking advantage of the nearby restaurants (Umah PIzza is a must-try!) when we didn't feel like going far. When we did make the short trek into the heart of the bustling town it was a very welcome retreat to return to the peaceful serenity of Tanah Semujan.
The breakfasts were included in our ($35) room rate and were very delicious! There was always hot water on our outdoor table for coffee or tea in the morning, afternoon and evening when we were greeting the day, stopping in or staying for the night.
The room was clean and spacious - the bed was not only comfortable but the frame was beautifully carved. Never felt worried about leaving our belongings in the room while we were out for the day - but we did take our passports with us as there is no safe.
So thankful we were able to stay at this beautiful guest house and absolutely recommend it.

2  Thank ellealphabeta
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This guest house is run by a family who are extremely friendly and were only too happy to help with just about anything, as well as being forthcoming with lots of very interesting information about the local area and customs. We really enjoyed their company. Rooms are modern and very clean, furnishing basic but quite adequate. The bed was firm and comfortable. The location is a just few minutes walk from the centre of town, but quiet. There are several good restaurants/cafes in the street. Breakfast was reasonably good, though missing a couple of the promised ingredients, and served on the terrace outside our room just whenever we were ready. We would certainly book again on a trip to Ubud.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

You ever had the moment happen when you walk up to a hotel that you booked months ago and they tell you that they don't have the booking? It was the end of the high season and so I wasn't overly worried, but it was late afternoon and I'd been up since 4am, and so it was possible that I was going to be less than impressed.

And when Wayan, the owner, pulled his booking "system" out of his fanny bag, I sort of got the impression that losing bookings may have been par for the course at Tanah Semujan Ubud. And I'm here to tell you it didn't matter. It didn't matter because Wayan is the sort of man who puts the "hospitable" into "hospitality".

So there was a room available ( the exact room I'd booked as it turned out), and I was ensconced in there within minutes, and happy as a pig in the proverbial. The room was big with the balcony a beautiful place to relax. Wayan and his delightful wife would ensure a supply of hot water with which to make tea and Balinese coffee, and many of these were consumed on said balcony. As Darryl Kerrigan would have said, "How's the serenity?"

The breakfast was cooked to order, and although they're not going to be Michelin starred any time soon, the omelette was to die for.

There are some things that could be done to improve the overall experience. There should be glasses provided in each room, and the bathroom needs hanging hooks for clothes and towels for example. Also a bar fridge would be a great addition, but that is a capital improvement that would probably push the price of the rooms upwards. And the price is currently working in their favour.

There is no reason not to consider Tanah Semujan Ubud for accommodation in Ubud. It absolutely represents good value for money, and you'd be hard pressed to find better hosts.

Room Tip: There are only six... so how wrong can you go?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple