“Peace and quiet in Ubud”
Review of Tanah Semujan Ubud

Tanah Semujan Ubud
Ranked #25 of 543 Ubud B&B and Inns
Vancouver Island
“Peace and quiet in Ubud”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Thank-you Tanah Semujan! We stayed for two nights as part of our honeymoon and were extremely happy with our room here. The host and his staff were extremely friendly and made us feel right at home. Coffee ready on our terrace whenever we wanted it, and breakfast served there for us each day. The pancakes with coconut were my favourite accommodation breakfast we had on our entire 3 week stay in Indonesia! The room was very clean with a nice hot water shower. Far enough away from the centre to avoid the chaos, but at the same time within walking distance. He also gave us an AC room for the same price as a regular room. Excellent value for money!

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor, and still there was no noise. Very peaceful. I don't think there wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElleCanuck

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Spacious, clean and simple. This was my first impression when I stepped into the room. Bed was comfortable and air cond was working really well. The place is still quite new and Wayan definitely keeps the place really nice and cozy. Breakfast was served outside the house and it was delicious! Hot water to make coffee and tea was available throughout the day.

Location is a bit off the main road and a bit hidden, but it is very near rice fields and only a 10 minute walk to the monkey forest area using the back alleys.

For the price we paid, this place is great value!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

First of all I must thank the people in TripAdvisor for their honest, detail and reliable words! Prior my vacation to Bali I was looking for accommodations during my stay (9 nights at three different stops in the island, with two female friends) mostly via this site. All reviews turn out to be true and are great source of information.

Tanah Semujan will be my first review I contribute and I gladly do so. When I was doing my small research preparing the vacation, I read a lot of good reviews about it.

I and my friends were looking for affordable yet decent accommodation in Bali, which we know has more than enough kind of cheap as well as luxurious options. We would like to have something in the middle of those two extremes ;) Tanah Semujan has in our eyes this kind of service. The price is great (we are sort of middle class Indonesians, we can not afford to pay anything more than 50 US $ per night for three of us). The amenities it promises are exactly the decent ones we would like to have everywhere we go.

We stayed in Tanah Semujan four nights in a room with Air Conditioner. Our room was in the ground floor of the compound which I thought perfect for ladies who might not want to go to upstairs with all their luggage upon arrival or before leaving the bungalow or simply after a long day of tiring adventure around the city. :)

The room has enough space for three of us with also a spacious in suite bathroom. As we entered our room we were truly happy to see a spotlessly clean room and bed. Liquid soap and shampoo are available and the bathroom is equipped with closet, bathtub and shower with hot and cold water. Everything in the room functions well. There are also separate mirror with hand washing or tooth brushing possibility outside the bathroom. Every one of us got one towel which we used until the last day.

Coffee, tea, sugar and a thermos of boiling water were always available for every room. We enjoyed our coffee break, breakfast and spent the mornings mostly at the simple balcony of the room facing the serene garden of Tanah Semujan. One thing we learnt it's better to order the breakfast on time. This is because Wayan, the owner and head caretaker of the bungalow, is also the chef/cook. We cannot expect he could provide all breakfast at the same time for all guests during favorite breakfast hours 8-10 am. Selection of breakfast include white breads (with cheese or fruit jam), omelette, pancake and fresh cut fruits. Delicious homemade meal!

Wayan and his family are proud owner of Tanah Semujan. We can tell that by seeing how they treat his guests and take care the rooms. Wayan answered my emails very promptly and asked no deposit payment. That is something I personally found remarkable in this commercial time we live in. Most of the time they will be happy to answer questions from the guests like pick up or drop of service or some intercultural matters. We felt so grateful for the stay at Tanah Semujan. I will definitely come back again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Din O
Singapore
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Still 13-month-old, roomy and spotless place. Wayan (Owner) is a hard worker and good chef :) When I stayed here, he did everything himself such as daily cleaning and cooking breakfast. There are 5 choice of breakfast, every choice comes with fresh cut fruits. You definitely taste homemade meal in it.

There is no proper reception area. If no one is around when you arrive, you can walk to a small room which is right next to the rightest room on the ground level. This is where Wayan usually stays, otherwise he should be around trimming lawn and cleaning garden.

Tanah Semujan Ubud is still in progress. Said that you definitely have what you need such as hot/cold shower,closet,toilet paper,wifi connection and towel. 2 rooms out of 6 rooms have only ceiling fans. Other 4 rooms have A/C. Wayan has great plans in future to make his place much better. Next time I am back here, it will be much improved hopefully

As of Oct 2013, don't expect fridge, TV, amenities except soap, hair dryer, laundry service and rent a bike etc. You can buy some soft drink if necessary because there is a commercial fridge to stock soft drinks for guests.
Beautiful garden is just garden at this moment without any chair or sunloungers, it might be fancy public space for guests to relax in future.

Airport Pick UP can be arranged but 300 000 one way and 350 000 if late night. You can find a bit cheaper pick up from transportation company.

Wayan doesn't stay here for 24 hours but his family will stay at night on behalf of him. Coffee/tea is prepared at your table for 24 hours, the Balinese coffee tastes quite good, which he buys from market.

Jalan Bisma is not the busiest street in Ubud. It might be the 5th busiest one in next 5 years though. If you want to stay as close to the busiest and hot spots as possible, you shouldn't stay here. It will take 15 minutes walking to get to Tourist Information center across royal palace. It is very safe, there are lights every 10m or so even at night. You don't need your own flashlight but this street is very quiet and peaceful one. You can appreciate beautiful scenery of rice terrace on your way to/from Tanah Semujan Ubud. So you should decide what your priority is.
Also 15 minutes walking to Monkey Forest but this street will be very dark after sunset, I don't recommend you to take this path...

Room Tip: Room with a great view on second level.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank mamacita1001
Yeppoon
Reviewed 16 October 2013

A new hotel on Jl Bisma which is very clean and well appointed. Rooms were cleaned thoroughly each day! It is not far from the centre of Ubud but extremely quiet and peaceful. Wayan the owner is just lovely and makes a great breakfast as well. He is happy to help if you ask but does not push tours etc. Each room is provided with a thermos of boiling water each day and tea bags and Kopi Bali so you can help yourself to drinks all day. (A great family business)
We used his friend also Wayan as a driver to get from the airport to Ubud late at night and I would highly recommend him also.

Room Tip: End rooms have air con and more windows.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy R
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed Tanah Semujan and Ubud so much, we extended our 3 night stay to 6 nights. The hotel is only 12 months old and our room, while basic, was immaculately clean and nicely furnished. The hotel was in a very quiet area only a 10 minute walk to the centre of town, with plenty of restaurants along the way. Wayan could not have been more helpful, answering all our questions and sharing his local knowledge freely. I would stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I arrived for my first time in Ubud travelling alone by bus from Sanur, and having read the reviews I was conscious Tanah Semujan would be a bit of a walk from the bus stop in Ubud so called ahead and was delighted when Wayan offered to come and collect me. I hopped on the back of his bike with my rucksack stowed in the front, and we took off for the short ride to the hotel. My grin got wider and wider as we passed beautiful rice fields along a few winding paths and pulled up outside the newly built, pretty building.
Set in a lovely garden next to a forested area, terraces from all the rooms look out over lush greenery and ornate rooflines in the traditional architecture of buildings opposite.
Janan Bisma street is completely peaceful and quiet right beside the heart of the action, providing the perfect base for walking everywhere. I could not have been better located for 10 minute walk to the entrance to Monkey forest in one direction, and 10 minute walk to the main street with access to dance performances and the very many bars, restaurants and shops of Ubud in the other direction.
The light in my large room was beautiful and the whole building was kept spotlessly clean. Wayan was very helpful with local advice for anything I asked and can also help with bookings for local bike tours or any other kind of activity. My days there were so peaceful, I slept so well. I was very happy with my stay and would recommend Tanah Semujan as a great place to see Ubud from.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo