“Best Stay Ever!”
Review of Aya's Rooms Hotel

Aya's Rooms Hotel
Ranked #397 of 620 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The place is clean, air-conditioned with homemade breakfast prepared by a warm and friendly staff. It also has a beautiful pool. I stayed for 2 weeks and the staff treated me like family. They have laundry service on site that is very inexpensive, as well. It is right in the middle of everything and within walking distance of most of the popular hotspots in Ubud. The price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Every room is a corner room. The upper floors provide more privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here for 32 days. I became friends with the staff. Gede, Koman and Kubu are all wonderful people. The rooms are beautiful, Gede operates everything very well. The rooms are wonderful. Breakfast and laundry service, pool, I met several awesome people during my lengthy stay. Location is perfect, and is a very nice quiet spot for being so close to Hanoman. I will most certainly be back to Ayas when I return to Bali. I was in Bali for yoga teacher training and several fellow students also stayed here to rave reviews.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Leewhocannotbenamed
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The rooms itself are quite nice. Bed, TV, fridge - everything you need. The design is also modern and nice. Good pool too. However, the place could be a lot better with some small changes.
1. Put some mosquito screens on the ventitaltion slits in the bathroom area to keep animals out.
2. Put a door between main room and bathroom area to keep the noise level down.
3. Hire someone to do breakfast or serve it buffet style - our poor hosts seemed a bit stressed with preparing pancaked, omelettes and eggs cooked to order for everyone.

The location is perfect and if you can get it for a good price, it is a nice little place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I have been waiting for a hotel like this to open in ubud! Most of them are high priced and you don't get half of what AYA'S rooms provides for you! This hotel is clean, safe, friendly and relaxing. You couldn't ask for better staff at a hotel. Gede and Cubu make this hotel the hidden gem it really is. The hotel is up a private alley way then opens into a gorgious pool and room setting. The pool is kept clean and at a perfect temperature. The staff are very knowledgebleable about things to do around Ubud and can assist you with any need you have! They even had someone come in and give me a in room massage at a very very good price!!! If you are heading to Ubud I sugguest your first stop be AYA'S ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mimi251
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We were a family of 12 and let me say that finding a suitable place that meets all 12 persons criterias is hard. I booked 6 rooms for just 1 night. Finding the place was just a slight issue. Walking through a narrow alley and finding Aya's Rooms was a big surprise. It was comfortable, spacious, air-conditioned with a nice pool and all just for a price of USD40 per room. Staffs was friendly and tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible.The pool was great after a hot sweaty walk and we made use of it many times. We even had a pool party that night (as it was my birthday) and the staff keep the pool running without any complaints. We didn't eat there, so no issue with the food. However, water pressure on the highest floor was quite bad. We did speak to them, and they say they will look into it. As for the power trip. It happened throughout the whole night. But within the minute it goes off, the staff switch it back on. So no issue with me as the air-condition comes back on as well. But its something that have to be looked into. Internet was no issue on the 1st and 2nd floor but not on the 3rd floor. As for bugs issue, I have no encounter with it. We did spot a cockroach near the swimming pool but the staff got rid of it quickly. Ubud is surrounded by foliage and forest. Bugs are expected. Although if you are afraid, picking rooms on the higher floors might help. View on the 3rd floor is amazing. On the morning, I woke up to a view of Mount Agung, shrouded in mist and smoke. So beautiful. We all enjoyed ourselves there and didn't want to leave. Location is great. Quiet but accessible. Just walking out the alley and you'll find shops and restaurants. Ubud Market is about 10-15 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Higher rooms - less bugs issue, better view, quieter, but low water pressure. Lower rooms - better...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EstherChew
Reviewed 21 May 2013

On the surface, Aya's Rooms is a shiny, new, clean place but I believe it is that on the surface only. The upside is it has a pool and air conditioning; location is also good.

I stayed here a week and had the below problems. You may judge for yourself if you believe you can live with any (one) of them during your holiday:

- First night, there was a cockroach in the room. Upon closer inspection of the room, we saw that the method of ventilation in the bathroom area is six rectangular-shaped slats in the wall leading directly outside. This means bugs and roaches can get in at any time during the day/night.
- The hotel consists of two blocks, and again on our first night the other block was fully booked. This led to too many people using the electricity and the air conditioning. The result was a continual power outage, and we had to sleep with no A/C. At least I packed my head-torch.
- Second day, I noticed a puddle of water in the bathroom, which has a tub and a wet-room shower. We moved the shower handle to the tub so we should shower without getting water everywhere. Regardless, a puddle kept re-appearing, and it seemed to be a chronic leak somewhere because I could see mold/mildew on the bottom of the door-frame.
- The pressure in the shower connection was very low. Moving it to the bath tub helped immensely, but hot water does not consistently come out. There are bursts of cold before hot returns.
- Fourth night, another cockroach. This time, it had landed on me as I tried to sleep and woke me up. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night and in the morning, I had at least three bug bites.
- Also on the fourth night, the internet credit ran out, so guests could not use wifi. When I inquired in the morning, I was told that the son of the owner, in Denpasar, had to buy more credit and that wifi should be back online by the end of the day.
- As someone else already pointed out, there is a lack of breakfast option. They have either egg/toast or pancake. This doesn't present a problem for me, but what does present a problem is the lack of hygiene when preparing the breakfast. It is cooked at an outdoor bar and I witnessed the following: cook dropped the whisk on the floor and rinsed it off and continued preparing the pancake mix; no soap was used to clean; ants crawling all over the counter; no clean teaspoons, so server pulled a dirty one from a pile of dishes in the sink, rinsed it off and tried to give it to me with my tea; no soap used to clean the spoon.

All in all, I would give it average value for money, because the location is good and the place functions as shelter, but I imagine there are equally bug-infested places for less money and with reliable internet at the least.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We had a very nice stay here for 4 nights. The good stuff:
- Friendly staff
- Clean, spacious rooms
- Excellent cable
- Clean swimming pool

The not-so-good:
- Very slow to no internet service (they plan to improve this soon, they say)
- Few breakfast options

We also had a great experience learning to cook Balinese, thanks to the hotel owner, Puspa. She said she intends to open Balinese cooking classes to guests very soon so watch out for that! When I return to Ubud, I will definitely stay in this hotel again. I highly recommend this to other travelers, too!

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool often, better pick a room on the ground floor since the building has no...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple