“Still a great coffee and burger, despite patchy service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vanilla Pod Restaurant - CLOSED

Vanilla Pod Restaurant
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: American, International, Spanish, Wine Bar, Indonesian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Vanilla Pod is a brand new restaurant serving A La Carte International Cuisine and Balinese Tapas in a refined setting where customer experience and satisfaction is priority. With a focus on great tasting food, presentation, and personalised service delivered under International Management, Vanilla Pod aims to consistently deliver a refined dining experience to our customers that sets us apart from our competition. We have a main focus on organic and health conscious menu items, developed by our chef, assisted by our in-house manager and nutritionist. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we are located directly across the road from Pertiwi Hotel on Monkey Forest Road. We can also cater for group bookings for up to 30 guests.
Sydney, Australia
“Still a great coffee and burger, despite patchy service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

After my 5-star review of a year ago, I was fearing that this might not live up to my lofty expectations. But I must say it largely did.
The burger was still one of the best around - after I asked for some more mustard mayo which was barely present. Not withstanding that it's impossible to eat without falling apart (the burger that is, not me) it's a delicious messy treat!
Management - can you try and make the patty hold together better - it flakes into mince-meat upon attack. Also, I have to say the inclusion of gherkins would truly make this a burger to write home about.

Speaking of management - where are you? You used to respond to positive & negative reviews, but you seem to have left the building! Also my waitress - while very sweet - was about 16 and while trying hard was I think not entirely up to the task. I ordered a homemade lemonade but after more than 10 minutes of waiting for it - I cancelled it with no apology from the other waitress who seemed to be in charge but largely disinterested.
A 'how is your meal' or a 'can I get you anything else' goes a long way.
The service overall felt jagged and inexperienced.
But...the espresso is still amongst the best I've had - so they still get 4-stars for a cut-above burger, a great coffee, and an icy-cool refreshing towel upon arrival.

Ps. 45k plus tax for an orange juice is approaching what I'd pay in Sydney - a bit much!
Pps. management, where's the little complimentary biscuit that used to come with the coffee? Before, one could feel management's presence - now one can feel their absence...

3 Thank Fris B

Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced & Ordinary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We decided to eat at Vanilla Pod last night as I checked trip advisor and noted it said Indonesian as well as International and our preference while in Bali is Indonesian. The Indonesian selection is extremely slim pickings, so we decided maybe the Balinese tapas. This was a mistake. Firstly if you are offering tapas, then give a decent amount of selection as tapas are always small portions so a variety is needed. We chose a beef dish, a chicken and a fish. No beef.....all out. Not sure how busy this place is in the day, but we were the only ones there at that stage for dinner, and besides running out is not an option. The fish was literally two mouthfuls each and the chicken which was apparently meant to have lemongrass in it was very, very dry. Lemongrass had vanished that day too. Out of the meagre other options were two soup dishes which for us is not appealing. Ordered a gin and tonic on arival only to find out they dont serve spirits, which was no big deal so we had a glass of a white wine from Chile that was actually very nice and a very reasonable price. The prices for the 'tapas' though, expensive given the minute portion size. If you go here I'd suggest totally avoid the tapas, and to be honest I didnt really look at the Western choices so not sure if they are expensive but suggest maybe so. Obviously after having so little here we had to go elsewhere for the remainder of dinner, but that's another story.......clearly not our night!

1 Thank CJGurt
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Delicious - would definitely go back for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped off here for a quick bite on our way to an appointment...I was a bit embarrassed because we had to eat & run! The service was incredible, we explained we were in a hurry and they got the order in and out to us VERY FAST! They didn't bat an I when I ordered Burger Bites from the kiddie menu and I was beyond pleasantly surprised at the flavour of my dish...nothing kiddie about it! My husband had the warm goat cheese salad and he too thought it was delicious. The only downside was that he had to rush off, as I would have loved to have stayed longer. We'll definitely look for them again the next time we're in Ubud.

2 Thank ckkkc
Taipei
“Lovely little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We went to Vanilla Pod for breakfast. The food was nice, the plate presentation was also good. Staff was helpful and with smiles. I like this place, and would like to visit again for dinner.

“Jewel among many”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I found this place just looking for a cool drink on a very humid day... It's location allowed us to people watch and enjoy our drinks... When we walked in the service staff were amazing... They got us cool drinks and cold towels... Exactly what we needed...
We came back a week later for their dinner. It was very good I had the Indonesian fare and my husband had the international very very good... We will be going back

• Visited March 2014