“Not bad”

Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: Indonesian, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Vanilla Pod is a brand new restaurant serving A La Carte International Cuisine and Balinese Tapas in a refined setting where customer experience and satisfaction is priority. With a focus on great tasting food, presentation, and personalised service delivered under International Management, Vanilla Pod aims to consistently deliver a refined dining experience to our customers that sets us apart from our competition. We have a main focus on organic and health conscious menu items, developed by our chef, assisted by our in-house manager and nutritionist. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we are located directly across the road from Pertiwi Hotel on Monkey Forest Road. We can also cater for group bookings for up to 30 guests.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Came here one evening after walking past the night before and later reading some reviews.

A good choice of food on the menu and found the food from the set menu to be very pleasant indeed including a glass of wine.

Service was good, although we were only one of two tables at the time.
As it's a wine bar the drink choice was fairly limited, although the staff we're more then happy for us to pop to the shop and buy our own soft drink.

Maybe slightly higher priced compared to other venues in the area but worth a visit.

1 Thank Ian S

Seattle, Washington
“Good food. Service OK.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went with our 5 kids to Vanilla Pod for a late night dinner. The food was good and the service was OK. All in all, I would say that it is fine but it did not really stand out relative to other Ubud restaurants. It was a bit pricey but the food was fresh. I would recommend stopping if you are in the area but I would not go out of your way to get there.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank misopiso88
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice Dessert”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Visited one late night for the Balinese dessert. There were no customers around. Service was quick and waitresses were friendly but not attentive and playful, chatting away. Perhaps cos it was near closing time and there was no one else around. Anyway we enjoyed the dessert and the smoothie was good too, just a little too sweet. However, out of the six ice-cream flavors in the menu, three were unavailable.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank highfever88
Pataskala, Ohio
“We only ate the sorbet”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We did not eat at the restaurant. We were a little warm from walking around and saw the sorbet. It was kind of expensive, but the flavors were amazing. They let us sample the flavors. I got the passion fruit and my husband choose the vanilla bean. It was refreshing, rich and awesome. Well worth the money.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Biology-Teacher308
Sydney, Australia
“Still a great coffee and burger, despite patchy service”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

After my 5-star review of a year ago, I was fearing that this might not live up to my lofty expectations. But I must say it largely did.
The burger was still one of the best around - after I asked for some more mustard mayo which was barely present. Not withstanding that it's impossible to eat without falling apart (the burger that is, not me) it's a delicious messy treat!
Management - can you try and make the patty hold together better - it flakes into mince-meat upon attack. Also, I have to say the inclusion of gherkins would truly make this a burger to write home about.

Speaking of management - where are you? You used to respond to positive & negative reviews, but you seem to have left the building! Also my waitress - while very sweet - was about 16 and while trying hard was I think not entirely up to the task. I ordered a homemade lemonade but after more than 10 minutes of waiting for it - I cancelled it with no apology from the other waitress who seemed to be in charge but largely disinterested.
A 'how is your meal' or a 'can I get you anything else' goes a long way.
The service overall felt jagged and inexperienced.
But...the espresso is still amongst the best I've had - so they still get 4-stars for a cut-above burger, a great coffee, and an icy-cool refreshing towel upon arrival.

Ps. 45k plus tax for an orange juice is approaching what I'd pay in Sydney - a bit much!
Pps. management, where's the little complimentary biscuit that used to come with the coffee? Before, one could feel management's presence - now one can feel their absence...

3 Thank Fris B