“Far from the Madding Crowd”
Review of Alam Jiwa

and 1 more site!
Alam Jiwa
Ranked #52 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Back in Bali for a relaxing week away from Singapore. My first time at Alam Jiwa and I greatly enjoyed it, although it's rather a distance from Ubud, it proved to be what I needed, especially as Ubud's become a little hectic in the center now. This hotel has real character and one casn forgive it the few gripes one might have. I spent the final few days down by the beach in Sanur at La Taverna, a hotel I've previously reviewed, which is also full of character. It's nice to know Bali still has great places to stay and I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Subarite

Reviewed 30 June 2009

I used the internet to book a three night stay. The website made me sign up for a booking service with password etc., all of which was cumbersome. But I got an e-mail confirmation with a reservation number and "thank you for your reservation" language. A few months later (a week before our trip) I clicked on the link that said to check the status of the reservation, only to find out that my reservation indicated "waitlist." What? I thought I had a "reservation!" I called Indonesia and explained the situation. They told me they had sent me an e-mail two days later to let me know the hotel was booked. What?? If it was booked why would the reservation service tell me all those rooms were available and then give me a "reservation number?" I never got the e-mail (it may have been sent to my spam folder). But in any event, the booking service told me they had sent me a list of other hotels they could book for me instead. I asked them to go ahead and check on other hotels, and so far, they still haven't gotten back to me. This left me scrambling at the last minute to find an alternative hotel on my own. The hotel may well be lovely, but I'll never know, because the reservation system sucks!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarleenLee
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Rare is it that you will find a hotel that oozes character and fits into its natural surroundings as well as Alam Jiwa does. Add in reasonable prices and an incredibly friendly staff that is eager to please and you have a package that is hard to beat. Staying at Alam Jiwa does require some trade-offs, though in my opinion they are trade-offs worth making.

The hotel is situated on the south side of Ubud and is surrounded by rice fields. Ubud town is about a 20-30 minute walk away via the Monkey Forest or about 10 minutes by car. The walk through the Monkey Forest is worth doing at least once, though there is a path on the outside that is free (and monkey free). This represents the first trade-off you must make ... sacrificing close proximity to town but, in return, getting a beautiful natural setting that looks out over rice fields, lush landscaping and a stream. At night, the sounds of the rushing stream, croaking frogs and bugs buzzing in the fields are just fantastic.

We arrived around 3am and were happy to see our driver waiting outside baggage claim, just as the hotel promised. It was about a 40 minute ride back to the hotel. We were shown to our room ('Gelatik') and were pleased to find fresh fruit waiting for us. They were kind enough to have the two beds pushed together for my wife and I. A mosquito net can be pulled around the bed, which was great ... we could keep the balcony door cracked at night for the sounds (see above) and not have to worry about getting eaten by bugs. Though I believe a few of their rooms feature a true shower, our large bathroom was limited to a tub only. Not a big deal, though I usually find it hard to contort my body well enough to spray off with the hose. The rooms at the hotel were beautiful, featuring traditional Balinese design and local natural materials. The rooms did not have TV or internet access, though you can ask to use the computer in the office if you need to check email. The lack of TV was fine with us

Each night the staff would ask for your breakfast order. Though you can eat it in the open dining area near the office, we always chose to have it delivered to our room. It was really nice treat to have breakfast while sitting on the balcony watching the sun rise over the rise fields. Breakfast was great, with fresh juice, bread, yoghurt/fruit, coffee/tea, and choice of eggs, pancake or jaffle. No other meals are available at the hotel, though there is a free daily tea/coffee and cake between 2:00 - 6:00pm.

The staff was really wonderful and they were eager to help whenever you needed it. They helped us hire a car/driver for the day on a few occasions and were always available to drive you into town or pick you up. This was especially helpful as we were there during the rainy season. The hotel grounds were just beautiful, with moss-covered statues, lush landscaping and a fantastic pool area. Offerings placed throughout the property and burning incense only added to the appeal.

Alam Jiwa is a unique hotel in a unique place. Once again, I have found a great hotel with the help of TripAdvisor!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StrudelMonkey
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My son and I stayed at Alam Jiwa for four nights at the beginning of our stay in Bali. The setting, landscaping and houses are charming. Our room was tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable - with a large balcony overlooking a stream, two oversize twin beds, and a spacious bathroom with a fabulous deep tub. But even more important than the accommodations was the outstanding attention and friendliness of the staff - all of whom were genuinely personable and gracious. As a staff member said to us one morning, "This is your second home." Breakfast was great - fresh mango juice and a choice of fruit waffles or avocado jaffles - delicious - then toast and homemade jam. On Christmas Day, they gave us presents. As for Ubud overall - we didn't find it as enchanting as we'd expected - but Alam Jiwa was an absolute pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Meganonbeyond
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed in the Angsa room December 28-30th, 2008. The room and bathroom were very nice and the porch (on which the staff will serve you breakfast on request) was exceptional. It was private, lush, and unique. The food was outstanding (particularly the pancakes) and the service second to none. We would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 29 December 2008

I stayed at Alam Jiwa with my wife and son (3yrs old) and with friends and their two kids (2 and 11months) for 10 days. This was my first time here but my 10th ish time in Bali. The place was perfect for us.

We rented one unit and our friends rented the upstairs unit. In the evenings we would congregate on the balcony for drink and look out over the small gorge to the rice fields beyond. The breakfasts in the morning were great (again on the balcony or in a small seating area near the pool) and consited of fresh fruit, omelletes, jaffles, coffee, or balinese porrige.

Going into town is very easy - a short stroll through the village (much nicer than Ubud proper, through (or around) Monkey Forest and there you are in the thick of it. 10mins. Sometimes we would use the free shuttle that the hotel prvided if we were going out to dinner.

Although we travelled with small kids I think it would also be a perfect place for couples since all the accomodation is situated in seperate houses (see photos and google earth).

Finally the staff were fantastic, naturally warm as most Balinese are.

The place is beautiful, the staff are great and it has soul which some of the other - beautifully and slickly crafted - resorts lack.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sunshiny_8
Reviewed 30 November 2008

This was a wonderful place to stay if you want to get out of the hustle and bustle of Ubud. Since we love to walk, the walk into Ubud was easy but hot! (Watch out for the monkeys trying to steal your shopping bags and water bottles.) We enjoyed the lovely surroundings, the quietness and how friendly and helpful the staff was. We had quite a few meals at Leke Lake down the road and even took a cooking class there. Also took advantage of the spa (can't remember the name) and had some hours of pampering.

We were worried about no air conditioner but with the ceiling fan and cooler temp in the evening it turned out just fine.

Stayed: November 2008