“Peace baby”

Ranked #52 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
sydney, australia
“Peace baby”
Reviewed 14 July 2007

I recently stayed here with my mother, sister and 2 young children and we all really loved it. We stayed for 3 nights which i think was ample. The spacious 3 levelled guest house we had was really beautiful. If you have ever been to Jim Thomspson's house in Bangkok, it reminded us of this. Excellent interior which overlooks rice paddies and a very peaceful rural scene. Watch the 'duck man' from the comfort of your kingsize bed with his flock of ducks in the morning. Staff very friendly and unobstrusive, breakfast can be delivered to your room or you can have it in the cafe. For a slice of the real Bali i would stay here or at the sister hotels, Alam Shanti and Alam Indah.

Stayed June 2007
5 Thank Griswalds4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
amsterdam, netherlands
Reviewed 30 June 2007

If you like some privacy and a nice and quiet stay in busy Ubud you should really go here. The people are very nice, the rooms superb and very good quality for the price. The lovely Bali-style rooms are huge and especially the rice field view rooms are magnificent.
Good beds, good food and very good service. The 10 minute walk to Ubud centre was fine, even with our 1 year old son.

• Liked — The quiet Balinese style and service
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ViviennevN
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I'll try to be fair here - this is a very pleasant hotel and obviously most people are quite happy with it - it just wasn't the right choice for me. Hope this might help someone else looking for the same type of experience.

I knew Alam Jiwa was outside of Ubud, but was under the impression it was just a 10 minute walk away. It was more like a 15 minute walk either through or around the Monkey Forest (loved it!) to the start of Ubud's main shopping/dining area. Then, another 20-30 minutes walk to the center of Ubud. I am an active person and love walking, but that was way too much to be doing every day, even for me, in heat and humidity.

There is a free shuttle provided by the hotel, but this can be slightly inconvenient if, like me, you want to just go independently when and where you want.

Basically, for me Alam Jiwa was a bit too isolated. The location was pretty, but not spectacular. It is in a village south of Ubud, with a few shops (for locals and tourists), a school, and football field - a moderately interesting place to walk around, but nothing like the variety of central Ubud.

I had a lower-level room with air-con. The room was traditionally decorated, with a very large covered private balcony. A nice room, but not great. Room lighting at night was very, very dim - if you like to read at night, bring a flashlight!

Service was very good and I especially liked having breakfast delivered to my room every morning. There's a small pool that I didn't use. Rate was $85 per night. Overall it was a charming place with helpful and pleasant staff, and certainly worth the price. It just wasn't right for me.

• Liked — having breakfast on my private balcony
  • Disliked — felt too isolated from Ubud
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
10 Thank jfh310
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2007

We booked Alam Jiwa after reading the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor and it surpassed all our expectations. For the price of about US$60 per night, we stayed at the "Garuda" Villa which gave us a wonderful view of the paddy fields just beyond our verandah and the sunrise. The landscaping was beautifully rustic without artificiality. The villa was clean and the staff extremely helpful and friendly without being obtrusive, we were dropped off in Ubud village centre whenever we needed. The property was running at full house when we were there but we never saw more than 1 or 2 other couples at any one time. We almost always had the good-sized pool all to ourselves. Breakfast, tea and room service was brought in from Laka Leke and served right on our verandah whenever we needed. One slight drawback is that it is actually in a satellite town of Ubud, which would not matter unless you really want to be in the thick of things. The other thing that would really make it perfect would be providing some bathrobes and a slightly roomier bathtub. All in all, an excellent experience, our favourite accommodation in Bali.

• Liked — Service, Decor, Cleanliness, Atmosphere, views
  • Disliked — No Bathrobe, Tiny Bathtub
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Troodee
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My wife and I stayed at Alam Jiwa for 3 days, 2 nights, during our honeymoon in Bali.

Although Alam Jiwa is located off of a narrow road that juts off a road between Sayan and Hanoman road, I highly recommend that your driver be able to speak Balinese to find this place if they haven't been here before. It's definitely tucked out of the way from the main roads, which lends it a very nice feeling of what it must be like to live like a local.

Front staff and groundskeeping crew were very polite and friendly. Our greeter was an older gentleman with glasses who spoke so softly yet directly that it caught me off guard. Our greeter/front office manager provided us an overview of services, made us aware of the free breakfast and complimentary afternoon tea services provided by Alam Jiwa, as well as a free shuttle from Alam Jiwa into town and back. All we had to do was call the number on their business card to request driver pickup.

Front staff provided luggage porters to assist us with our luggage. We stayed at the Garuda room which had large windows that provided an unobstructed view of the rice fields on the backside of the property. It was calming to see the rice field workers make their way into the fields to perform to their duties each morning.

Although Alam Jiwa had a small pool, my wife and I did not take advantage of it during our stay. The pool was not as relaxing as Uma Ubud, and not as grand as the Ritz Carlton Bali. I would say that the pool was so small that it got crowded fairly quickly.

First impressions were, whoa, this is one big room for the price that we paid. Much bigger room than all of our others during our honeymoon (Ritz Carlton, Uma Ubud, Bayu Cottages, Ellie's). Alam Jiwa didn't feel so much like a hotel as it did a private residence with unusually large rooms and individual patio areas. Complimentary bottled water awaited us in our rooms as did complimentary fresh fruit. Upon arrival we had a knock on our door with a gentleman providing us complimentary welcome fruit drinks. Very nice way to arrive.

The large bed (King size) had a circular mosquito netting with a heavy weight at the bottom that kept insects out.

The entranceway to the bathroom had the most interesting frog motif over it, while utilizing traditional Balinese double doors for privacy. The bathroom was very large complete with a drying rack for clothes and a deep tub that gave you a clear view of the rice paddies behind the building. The location of the air conditioning unit in the bedroom makes it not too effective in cooling off the bathroom. But it wasn't an issue for us given Ubud's cooler climate at the time that we visited.

None of the rooms in Alam Jiwa have a telephone, or television for that matter. Don't even bother looking for a clock. Oddly enough, at every one of our hotels, NONE of them had a clock. Apparently time means very little in Bali since it's so beautiful that you naturally want to take your time. But that being said, if you were truly looking to disconnect from the wired world, this was a good place to slow time down and relax.

Morning breakfast was good. Coffee and tea were good, and I would recommend sticking with the Indonesian fare for breakfast instead of the pancake option. Their pancakes aren't Western style pancakes, more like a crepe, although I liked their mueslix with yogurt and fresh fruits. Definitely recommend their fruit juice mixes. Their staff does a pretty good job on them.

The one thing that I would note is that the proximity of the rice fields allows you to get closer to the wildlife. Although my wife and I had breakfast out on the patio, you had to be careful with all of the ants along the floor not to provide them a leg for them to crawl up, or to drop food that would cause them to swarm. It should be noted that we did not notice any ants in our room. Also, our first night at Alam Jiwa, we experienced first hand why the Balinese consider geckos lucky. A huge gecko popped out from behind a large Balinese painting, FLEW down the wall and snapped up a very large beetle before zipping back up the wall behind the painting in under 2 seconds. I jumped because I thought it was a very quick snake. If you absolutely can't stand seeing a little local Balinese wildlife share the room with you, Alam Jiwa may not be the best choice for you.

The location of Alam Jiwa made it a fairly short 10 minute walk through the Monkey Forest of Ubud to the shops of Monkey Forest Road and JL Bisma. Alam Jiwa is about a good 30-45 minute walk to the Ubud Main Road however, and I would not recommend walking through the Monkey Forest Road at night for personal safety reasons. While we were there we were unable to contact Alam Jiwa for a ride back to the hotel because of some kind of busy tone on the telephone network. It should be noted that Bali apparently uses the same kind of telephone switching system that was used in the U.S. during the 1950s. As a result, wireless phones are significantly more reliable than landlines in the country. The ride back to the hotel from Ubud Main Road was about $3USD.

On a separate note, wherever shopping/massage place we went in Ubud, everyone asked us where we were staying. When we answered Alam Jiwa, I swear we seemed to get better pricing than when we answered Uma Ubud (a pricier hotel). Something to keep in mind when bartering for some great gifts and souvenirs to take home.

My wife and I asked the front staff on entertainment recommendations in Ubud. They made an outstanding recommendation to see a local traditional Legong dance. Great show, definitely a must see if it's your first exposure to traditional Balinese dance.

Also requested info on great places to dine. Alam Jiwa made an outstanding and ok recommendation with the Dirty Duck and Cafe Wayan respectively.

All in all, a very economical way to spend a few days in Ubud, if you can tolerate the curiosities of minor wildlife.

• Liked — Large rooms with great view of the rice paddies
  • Disliked — The curious wildlife
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple