“One of the best restaurant this foodie has ever been to!”

Restaurant Locavore
Ranked #29 of 871 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$32 - US$39
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our non smoking restaurant serves modern, contemporary European cuisine using local, seasonal ingredients. Our chefs share a passion for crafting contemporary European cuisine from quality local ingredients. This concept is already popular in the west and, although it is still new to Indonesia where most chefs rely on expensive imported ingredients, we are proud to be amongst the first to introduce high-end and locally sourced cuisine to Indonesian kitchens. A great deal has been achieved in Locavore' first year which we hope to build on in order to continue satisfying our guests and to continue the strides made in spreading this concept throughout the country. We started working together in Jakarta over five years ago and gradually came to see that it just didn't make sense to cook with imported ingredients when we were surrounded by Indonesia's bounty. We think of ourselves as the catalysts between local producers and discriminating diners. Our ingredient-driven menu celebrates the farmers, fisherman and artisans we've met along our journey. By developing lasting relationships with local producers, we ensure you the freshest of chemical-free seasonal produce and ethically fed meat animals. And by supporting local farmers and artisans, Locavore is an authentic member of its community. A reservation is strongly recommended, typically you should be able to secure a table 2-3 weeks ahead. Reservations can be made via our website and our Facebook Page. Upon making a reservation via one of our two convenient online booking options you will receive a confirmation email to your inbox which will include a booking reference. 24 hours prior to your booking date you will receive an additional email asking you to reconfirm your booking along with instructions on how to do that. We realise many of our guests are busy enjoying their wonderful holidays in Bali or simply don't have all day e-mail access but we do kindly request your attention on the booking emails. We are very thankful for the interest everyone has shown in Locavore but without a confirmed booking we will regrettably have to release the table to other guests. Locavore is a small and cozy restaurant operated by a team of highly dedicated food enthusiasts whose primary goal is to ensure our guests savor their experience at Locavore while dining on artistically prepared, fresh and highly enjoyable dishes. Part of that process is to source 95% of our products locally and not to keep large stocks but rather to source as much of our products fresh on a daily basis. This, together with the fact that all of our dishes are prepared a la minute with only fresh produce, certainly leads to more strain on our team but absolutely allows us to achieve our stated goal of providing our guests with locally produced, fresh and delicious dishes. We are and aim to continue being a fine dining establishment that focuses equal parts on the cuisine and on the experience. To ensure that experience consists of the highest quality, Locavore focuses on a series of set tasting menus; 5-courses or 7 courses in either Locavore or Herbivore style. We are more than happy to modify our set tasting menus for those with dietary preferences, as long as those preferences are mentioned to us during your booking process, since we cater to our guests needs and especially since our chefs certainly love to be challenged to meet new heights. Some may call those preferences a 'dietary restriction' but we simply view your preferences as part of our obligation to ensure you enjoy the experience at our restaurant. Although a meal at Locavore may last several hours, the reason for that is not lack of care or attention but rather the exact opposite ... every dish is prepared with meticulous attention so as to ensure that every one of our guests will walk away from Locavore remembering the cuisine they experienced with us. Come to Locavore not for a rushed meal based on an endless menu but for a meticulously planned culinary journey prepared by our team that will leave you satisfied, fulfilled and eager for your next visit. While we understand that this philosophy may not be applicable for everyone, as food enthusiasts we welcome everyone and anyone to join us at Locavore to take part in this culinary approach which we believe in, standby and advocate for within the sphere of fine dining. As a final note, generally we can advise guests that our menus can take the following service time: - 5 course : 1.5 to 2 hours - 7 course : 2 to 2.5 hours
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Bali…hands down… . Fantastic meal, and one of the best meals of my life. By Bali standards, yes, this is on the pricey side…BUT and this is a big BUT…for what we were served…seven-course degustation meal…for just US$49 (approx) per person…this was a steal when we compare it to how much we would have to pay for a similar meal in Singapore.

Execution was top notch…every plate looked like an art piece. I had high expectations before visiting the place, and the team at locavore far exceeded my expectations.

After reading revews on tripadvisor, I made a reservation for our first dinner in bali at Locavore. (about two to three weeks before arriving). I think it is awesome that the chef showcases ingredients locally sourced, and organic! To top it off, they change their degustation menu every month! We agreed that if we lived in Bali…we would be making a monthly trip to locavore to check out what new tricks the chefs had up their sleeves.

Ok now…to the actual meal we had. For the seven-course, i have taken a shot of the whole plate so you can see the beauty of the plating followed by a close-up shot of the food. (NOTE: the dishes look small but we walked out of the restaurant VERY VERY full. It might look small but it definitely added up. We struggled to finish our dessert)

Three complimentary dishes arrived before our tasting menu began. First was a tempura Tapioca (I think) leaf. Never heavily battered, full of flavour, and not at all greasy. Very crisp.

This was really creative. Chilli sorbet with a gentle poached cherry tomato with hot consomme. The sorbet had a gentle kick to it, the cherry cuts the heat back…then the swirl of hot (from the consomme) and the sorbet hitting your palate is just amazing. I couldn’t get enough of the consomme.

The sourdough bread was crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the outside. First time tasting Kemangi pesto. Very unique in flavour. It taste like a cross between vietnamese mint and thai basil. Great introduction to Kemangi which we later discover is Indonesian Basil, and used quite often in Indonesian cooking.

Our first course. King Fish. A la minute marinated king fish/passionfruit juice infused with vanilla/smoked king fish maonnaise/krupuk kulit/pickled fennel/shaved radish.

When the plate arrived, the beauty of the dish made me smile. Then greed kicked in…and I tucked in. Five delicate pieces of king fish (marinated just enough to mask the fishiness but still taste the essence of the fish) rolled up and it sits on a silky smoked king fish mayonnaise. I actually thought the mayo tasted more like a silky fish mouse than a mayo. The mayo definitely added richness to the clean taste of the king fish “rolls”. I couldn’t taste the passionfruit juice in this dish I must admit. The krupuk kulit which is crispy pork crackle (OMG!) added great texture to the dish. The pickled fennel helped cut the richness of the mayo. Nice balance and texture.

Second course. Sweet Corn. Chicken liver mousse/caramelized shallots/sweet corn preparations/citrus vinaigrette/nasturtium/pomelo. When the man first read the dish on the menu, he scrunched up his nose…chicken liver….eww.. LOL. I was very excited. chicken liver when done well can be soooooooooo good! And Locavore did not let me down. It was creamy and rich. We all know that chicken and corn go well together. I loved seeing the playful side of the chef’s creativity. The corn was prepared three ways…whole kernels, cream corn and popcorn. This added not just texture, but different corn flavours to the dish. Yummy!

Third course. Barramundi. Barramundi a la meuniere/grated baby carrots quickly pickled/potato mousseline infused with vanilla/lemongrass beurre blanc, kailan.

My FAVOURITE dish for the evening. The skin of the barramundi was beautifully crispy (but not overly salted, which usually is the case cos salt is needed to crisp up the fish skin), and the delicate flavour of barramundi definitely came through. The carrots was what really helped compliment this dish. The acidity helped cut through the potato and beurre blanc. The crunch of the carrots added beautiful texture. Portion of fish was just right…enough to enjoy the dish…and because it is so good..it leaves you wanting just that little bit more.

Fourth Course. Oxtail. Slow braised oxtail/pan-fried gnocchis/green asparagus & sorrel veloute/eggplant puree/wood sorrel leaves.

This was the man’s favourite dish. The oxtail was done to perfection…fall off the bone tender…but the meat still stayed chunky. The oxtail was not too heavily seasoned which is good…the flavour of the meat came through. Loved the pillowy texture of the gnocchi. I think eggplant puree is the rage in Bali at the moment…we saw that on the menu everywhere.

Fifth course. Pork. Daily changing pork preparation/warm piccalilli/sweet potato mousseline/baby romaine a la vinaigrette/shallot jus/pommes dauphine.

Our pork was a deboned pork chop. I think they must have brined it because it was ridiculous flavourful and juicy…and not the least bit dry. Loved the fact that they used the purple sweet potatoes instead of the orange ones. Great colour to the plate, and it’s different from the usual sweet potato flavour. Appreciated the fact that Chef introduced pommes dauphine into his menu. A old school potato dish that i have not seen around for a very long time. Done very well too. Crispy on the outside, fluffy and creamy on the inside.

Sixth Course. Bubur Injin. Black rice porridge/served warm/palm sugar ice cream/coconut & pandan leaf foam/tangerine gel/dehydrated coconut.

Interesting trivia our server shared. Locals usually enjoy this dish as a savoury dish at breakfast. Chef has converted it to a dessert. Very similar to a local dessert we have here in Singapore, Pulut Hitam, which is also black rice pudding with coconut milk. This was classed and jazzed up of course. The porridge was done well…not too starchy, the palm sugar ice cream was not too sweet, and the coconut foam added a nice texture. We enjoyed this, but I couldn’t finish this dessert because it was just a little too heavy…and I knew we had one more dessert to go.

Seventh Course. Passion Fruit. Passion fruit sorbet/young coconut sorbet/passion fruit meringue/passion fruit gel/kemangi leaves/fresh young coconut.

Final course…and this was perfect! The tang of the passion fruit helped cut the richness of the last dessert. The sorbet had the sharp tang of the passionfruit, the coconut sorbet helped sooth the “sting” on the palate. End off with the gels and the meringue…sweet!

We thought we were done after this…then another complimentary dessert came. And this came with some theatre to it. A container arrived, and they only opened the lid at our table. Oh the waft of buttery sweet goodness hits you! Madeleines with a fennel creme anglaise! Good madeleines. Crisp on the outside, fluffy and buttery on the inside. The creme anglaise was not too heavy on the fennel, just a touch. Something different. I like!

I have no complaints about this meal, and like I said, one of the best meals i have every had. I still think about the meal now! And wish I could enjoy it again! The staff was very attentive, but not intrusive. The meal did take about 2 1/2 hours from start to end. But it was not slow. Chef keeps pace with how slow or fast you are eating. I notice the wait staff communicating with him a fair bit, so that the pace of the meal is consistent.

There is no crazy shouting or clattering of pans in the open concept kitchen. Totally calm. Actually i hardly notice the kitchen staff speaking to each other, I do wonder how they get all the dishes ready at the same pace!

I highly recommend this restaurant. You won’t regret it. Do make a booking early. Heads up…it does get a little warm in there…I think it is because of the lights.

2  Thank VanessaF
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The best food I've eaten in a while - I rate it amongst the best I've had anywhere in the world. The bisque starter was delicious. The chicken main was tasty. But the chocolate dessert - AMAZING. I wish we had the chance to go back.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The food here was fabulous. We had the 7 course tasting menu with the wine pairing and loved the flavours served with each dish. There were combinations of food you would never think to put together but tasted amazing. The chefs here seem to cook with real passion for the local ingredients and it showed in their dishes. If is an open kitchen and we had the opportunity of chatting with one of the chefs while having our pre dinner cocktail. He was more than happy to chat and offer some advise on the menu choices.
We had been to mosaic the evening before and while the food there is good with a slightly different feel and ambience, this meal was equal in flavours at half of the price.
Definitely recommend this restaurant .

1  Thank Tracey196757
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was dumbfounded that this supposedly high end, quite expensive restaurant didn't know how to make a vegan meal that didn't suck. The food was imaginative but not very tasty and left us scratching our heads as to how to share things such as 1 whole boiled beet with some herb sauce underneath (no grains or extras on the plate). The amounts were so extremely skimpy and the flavors unsavory that we had to go eat somewhere else after finishing our "meal". Won't ever return!

7  Thank Elainalove333
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Yes locavore takes a higher price for the food. But compared to European prices and the standard of the food it is cheap. The food is fantastic. We had the 7 course dinner, which ended up being more like 10 course, with the small free snacks. If you like good gourmet food, go there.

Been to Restaurant Locavore? Share your experiences!