“Fabulous”

Kayumanis Ubud Private Villa & Spa
Ranked #19 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Treated extremely well by all staff. Great food. Great additional perks such as spa, bbq or cooking class right in your villa, picnic on the beach at Kayumanis in Nasau Dua and the fact that a driver is available to take you in to Ubud anytime between 7 am and 11 pm (no charge). The villa is beautiful and very comfortable. I have seen some people complain about the outdoor shower but we loved it. I guess it depends on how much you usually like to be outside. The pool was a great size so you can actually swim in it and the area that you have is just so terrific it can make it hard to motivate yourself to leave the villa at all! Again, I would like to say how wonderful all the staff was to us. They carry walkie-talkies so they know your moves in order to disturb your privacy as little as possible for necessary things such as room & pool cleaning. Very thoughtful and very friendly and very willing to tell you anything about Bali if you only care to ask.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathEdmonton

Reviewed 26 December 2009

I rather hurts me to write this review because the staff at Kayumanis are delightful!!! They truly made our stay better than it otherwise would have been. We have stayed at other places in Ubud, and decided to try this: we would not return (sorry, staff!)
First, none of the one bedroom villas have any view: indeed they are built within 4 concrete walls which block breeze and any feeling that you're even in Bali - it's bad. Second is bad design: a completely outdoor bathroom and a cave-like, unromantic, claustropobic bedroom. Within 30 seconds of being taken to our room (one of the new deluxe villas), we started trying to figure out how to make a change! They had a 3 BR villa with a view of the river jungle - which we took (obviously at a price). It seems there are about 4 villas, all mutliple BR, that have this view - which is mainly of foliage and lack of a concrete wall: it is pleasant but not awesome (you cannot see the river gorge). The huge plunge pool was surrounded by big trees and was the highlight of the villa. The BR we used, had a nice view also out the side "french doors" But, the rooms are not well-maintained: stained fabrics and netting, plumbing that doesn't work properly, etc. The food is very good, Thai and Indonesian. The spa and pool by the river are very nice. The staff will drive you and pick you up in Ubud and surrounding areas whenever you desire, which is nice. My advice: stay here ONLY if you have one of the few villas with a view (without a concrete wall, tiny bedroom and horrid bathroom) AND if you can overlook the sloppy maintenance/housekeeping: it's rather like staying at a friend's somewhat decaying, but charming family villa with the sweetest staff!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank scfphoto
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We are seasoned travelers and have now placed Kayumanis Ubud at the very top of our list. The villas were exquisite. The staff was extraordinary and they went out of their way to make sure that our stay was exceptional. There were so many "over-the-top" special treats -- the romanitic dinner in our villa; the private BBQ dinner in Butan Village and on and on! I would recommend it to anyone.....even our most discriminating friends.
With our thanks,
Ibu Nancy and Bapak tom

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norbyz
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We traveled a lot in Asia - the Kayumanis is definitely the nicest place we have seen. The villa, the great service, the excellent staff, breakfast whenever, whereever you like, an own 8m swimming pool and the nice spa make this place a true paradise. Very nice combination of modern & Balinese style. First time we give a 5star rating on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vodi73
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed for 10 nights at Kayumanis in Ubud, Bali. We had planned to stay just for a week, but with pleasure have extended our stay. The villa we had been assigned was in perfect condition. Everything was functioning and clean. Every request was met immediately by the friendly and competent staff, of which we would like to thank especially Bapak Gede-Sukaana, Bapak Putu (Leo?), Ibu Akika and Ibu Sri for making our stay so memorable. We have no doubt that we will again choose Kayumanis for our basecamp on our next visit to Bali.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tropfan
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Kayumanis Ubud is certainly the best hotel I went in terms of service. The villas are luxurious -I liked the idea of an open air bathroom- The restaurant is really good as well.
Have a massage in their spa!
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soalb
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I chose to stay in Kayumanis Ubud after I have consider the budget and have reference to most of the reviews of the resort here. I agree with most of the reviewers here that the stay in Kayumanis was wonderful. The service and the environement were terrific., although the location of the resort may on one hand be inconvenient, and on the other hand, not easily found even by local taxi drivers.

I had a cough when I arrived and I asked my butler where around Ubud area can I get some cough medicine. After my dinner, the receptionist and other staff asked me about my condition and whether I could get the drug. This really made me feel home. On the first night, I need to send and reply some emails, so I asked if there is a business center where I can assess the internet. In a minute, a notebook computer was installed in my villa and I can use it for my stay since no other asked for that (according to the resort regulation, you have to return it afteran hour if someone demands it).

The spacious villa was almost perfect, the pool is big and clean although the design of its wall can get people hitting there arms or knee on the stone wall. The sitting room is comfortably furnished with a small but decent kitchen. The bedroom is nice but a bit too dark even for honeymooners I must say. The outdoor tub and shower is also very nice with a small pond with all kind of aquatic life accompanying your bath or shower. My only negative comment about that is the high turbidity (or cloudiness, if you like) of the pond water. A a biologist, I understand this is almost a must for a natural aquatic ecosystem, yet, since the setting is actually not too natural, why not have ways to refresh water so visitors have a better appreciation of the "nature" during bath?

If you ask me why I did not give 5 stars to Kayumanis. Here is reason one. Maybe I am unlucky or what, most comments here mentioned about very helpful and efficient butler. I was however, taken care of by several butlers within my short 3-day stay. The first one was nice. The second one, a lady, however, was not as efficient as many fellow reviewers have commented. I am not sure if there is mis-communication between us or what, but there were two times she told me on phone that she will be coming to my villa to help me with some stuff, it was not until I called her again before she made sure ahe is coming right away. These two occasions together made me wait for almost an hour. Another reason for taking a star away , which is minor compared with the butler one, would be the rather old facilities in the villa (e.g. a few lamp switches were actually so worn out). Besides, I understand they wish to make it really like the natural scape, but afterall it's a resort and personally I really think the resort area was simply too dark at night. Bugs and geckos are not big problems during my stay though.

The dining corner has a terrific view too although the breakfast is not of top standard. Ican easily detect "the frozen taste" in their sausages, but with the view and nice service, the overall breakfast experience was fabulous. Also don't miss out the main pool and the sunbathing area.

The resort is located next to a river and you can ask for paid service to arrange hiking trips along the river. I did not have time doing so but I can imagine how relaxing, refreshing and exciting it could have been.

Finally, the free shuttle service that escort visitors to different parts of Ubud was effcient and helpful too. Without it, it could be troublesome for one to go out due to the messy traffic and network of roads, plus the very dark roads at night (many of them are street-lamp-less).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo