“Wonderful surprise!”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #63 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Just returned from a trip to Bali, including a 3 night stay at the Mansion. We have nothing but good things to say, and cant understand any negative comments. The service was excellent, very helpful front desk staff. Room exceeded our expectations(spa villa) and was very clean. Very private and quiet. Staff well versed and English speaking. We only had breakfasts in the restaurant, which was efficient and served with impeccable manners. Enjoyed massage at the spa, which was very well done. Others we spoke to at this hotel had enjoyed their stay and were as impressed as we were.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat293920
There are newer reviews for The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed at The Mansion and it was so impressive we extended our stay. The staff was wonderful and exceeded all our expectations.. PERIOD ! The hotel grounds, pool , spa, villa .. all gorgous. The spa and massages were amazing & I cant tell you how nice and kind the staff were to us, top notch staff!
The day we checked out was very sad for us , we felt as if we were leaving family. Go to the Mansion if you can . Don't hesitate.. it will be the best $ you have spent on a hotel .

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gogobuxx
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Mansion Resort is much cheaper than many of the other five star hotels in Ubud, but, that, I'm afraid to say, is about the only thing it has going for it. I stayed in one their detached garden villas called 'Cottonwood' during my stay and it was not an experience I'd recommend.

The main part of the hotel is a converted private house about 10 minutes outside the centre of Ubud. No porters to greet you - it's up to you to drag your luggage up the steps and into the lobby of the hotel - a bizarre, rather tasteless room - which is suffocatingly hot, as there is no air conditioning in the lobby. I was then taken to my villa, which was about a five minute walk from the main part of the hotel. The villa, which is essentially a wooden shed on stilts, is enclosed by an unsightly concrete wall, so there is no view whatsoever. The private plunge pool, unlike at other hotels I visited in Ubud, is essentially a swamp. It's so dirty that I wouldn't go in there for a ten thousand pound bet. The water is thick with green slime, dead bugs, leaves and frogs, and no one treated or cleaned it during my stay. The frogs, incidentally, are a major issue at Mansion and will keep you awake - even if you're deep sleeper who's used to noise like I am - most of the night. They really are unbearably loud and croak for hours on end. It was like attempting to sleep with an alarm clock going off in your face that occasionally stops for a few minutes, and then, just as you're falling asleep/have fallen asleep, goes off again for another few hours.

The room (badly made shed on stilts) is not airtight by any means. Massive holes in the shoddy craftsmanship let in a variety of animals, such as mosquitoes, giant ants, small geckos and cockroaches, some of which joined me in bed. In fact, upon entering the room, I found dead ants among the stained sheets, not to mention the dead cockroach on a dirty, dusty floor under the side table. On top of all this, there was a leak in my roof right above my bed, so when it rained - and, in Bali, it pours several nights a week - my bed, especially the bottom end, quickly became soaking wet. And if that wasn't enough, your bathroom (sink, shower and, yes, toilet, so make sure you throw the plank of wood across the door to the ‘concrete compound’ or you may unwittingly be joined by a member of the staff!) is outside, and although those facilities are covered, the short walk to them is not, so going to the loo during the night often means a very slippery few steps, with frogs jumping around your feet, and returning to the room completely drenched. Taking a longer trip to the loo can also be awkward, as only two extremely thin toilet rolls are supplied every day, so it’s easy to run out.

Building work was also going on while I was there, which started well before 8 o’clock in the morning, so after a night of little sleep, there was no chance of a lie in. I also ordered room service a few times – the food was average, half the time they didn’t have my first choice on the menu, the portions were tiny and it was absurdly expensive. My mini-bar was essentially empty, even though the mini-bar menu advertised a ‘crossed-out list’ of chocolates and a large assortment of drinks.

The only positives I can think of regarding the room, is that the air conditioning worked surprisingly well and I had a television (a small flat screen) with English channels, such as CNN International, BBC World, Discovery Channel and National Geographic et cetera. However, there was no internet wi-fi in the room (the hotel staff told me I was just too far from the main building to receive it). The shower head was also large, which was a plus.

Others have written great reviews of this hotel, which I find very puzzling indeed, because that was certainly not my experience of this hotel. I don't know how they can claim to be 5 star. It was a long week, and when the time to leave arrived, I was absolutely thrilled. Never, ever, again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Writer212
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Just a word of warning to the fellow travellers. If you decide to stay at Mansion hotel do not risk your life eating at their restaurant. Despite calling itself a 5* hotel the Mansion only managed to price its food at 5* but apparently failed to achieve the very basic hygiene as we caught such stomach bug that we are still recovering from it - 5 days later. We ate in a lot of places around Indonesia, some very very very basic and never had a problem. Also I wouldn’t trust the drinking water they provide in the rooms – they come in class bottles and not plastic which are likely to be refilled and sealed up in the hotel. I sincerely hope they at least manage to wash them before refilling but who knows…
The service in the restaurant is very slow- the waiter almost looked surprised to see someone brave (or stupid) enough to come to eat there and was not sure what he was supposed to do with us. Actually everyone working in the hotel takes long time to do their tasks – like checking you in, collecting your luggage etc.

Regarding the rooms- first we were given a room in one of the villas. Even though it looks nice at first after spending a few minutes there you realise how damp everything is. The bathroom area had mould on the walls and the bed felt very damp and cold. This is because the walls have holes allowing all the outside damp air to get in and AC has not got a chance to dry the room or cool it. We were there during the rainy season so maybe the room is ok when it doesn’t rain much outside.
Luckily we were able to move into a room in the main building which was much much better. Looked very luxurious and the bed was nice and dry. The bathroom was slightly damp and smelly as I think ventilation is not designed properly but comparing to the one in the villa it was nothing.

We also had a massage in the SPA - it was OK. Nothing too special but more expensive than you would pay in other places. The hotel itself is nicely decorated inside and outside.

To sum up- if you decide to stay at the Mansion Hotel do not repeat our mistake and eat somewhere else. The hotel provides a free shuttle to Ubud- so you can have a meal at a restaurant there and come back to sleep at the hotel. In this case you can enjoy the nicely decorated room and the lobby and not spend all your time in the toilet.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nata0
Reviewed 15 December 2010

really enjoyed it - after staying with mate in kuta, it was time to put my feet up & be a king for 2 days....so loved every minute of it. staff were so friendly, hardly anyone there (due to low season) - only negative would be bed..... one word - hard :( otherwise decor, ambience, tranquil & peaceful atmosphere make up for it. shuttle bus to ubud city works perfectly & suited me just fine.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank jay4300
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The lobby(which used to be someones mansion) is filled to overflowing with antique furniture, clothes, paintings and collectables.There are a few suites in this building but most of the accommodation is built in the garden at the rear. Our garden view room was spacious and clean and the bathroom was exotic. There was a semi-private jacuzzi right outside our door in a secluded little garden courtyard, however the heater didn't work for the 4 days we were there. There was also a plumbing leak in our room which took a few attempts to fix. The 2 pools were great and the complimentary high tea and short massage were most enjoyable. Breakfast was adequate but not a great variety. The staff were attentive and friendly and the free hourly shuttle to and from Ubud made it easy to go to town(about 10 min drive) for restaurants, markets etc. At $A152 on special I expected more. The exterior and gardens look tired and could do with a general spruce up.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melinda G
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We spent 3 days at the resort and found it really an outstanding experience. The art collection tells you a lot about the culture of the place and everything around the property seems to have been designed with the touch of a maestro who has an eye for harmony between humans and nature. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful and although the main center of Ubud is a few kilometers away, the hotel shuttle is available every hour for reaching there. The breakfast spread is limited but adequate. The Indochine restaurant has an interesting menu but we preferred to eat in restaurants at the city centre. The room was clean and comfortable and very quiet and all we could hear was the chirping of birds. Would like to come back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple