“Weird vibe, far from town, not clean”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #64 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This place had a strange atmosphere to it, big hotel but few people around; kind of eerie. It is not walking distance to Ubud. We had to take a taxi everywhere. Yes we definitely heard frogs and insects but that didn't bother me. It was not clean; the linens and curtains were stained and looked old. I Also noticed that it looked like it had not been cleaned in a while: dead bugs in the corners. The bathroom was nice; half inside/outside style. In general I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank SARAH C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We paid around $100 AUD a night and got a suite. We felt that was good value for the place and were happy in our 4 night stay. If you're expecting a pristine 5 star hotel with butler service, this isn't the place for you. But the staff are lovely, the place is huge, lots of lovely pools (grass needed a mow). No poolside service. It was like a colonial relic, and felt like the manager had gone on leave 6 months before and never returned! That said, we still liked it!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bee R
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. The staff was courteous and helpful from the start. We booked a 1-bedroom residence with a guaranteed upgrade to a villa residence. However, when we arrived, the villa didn't suit our needs so we asked if there was a different kind of room available. We were moved to a 2-bedroom residence. It was perfect! The whole process was seamless and quick.

We stayed in Shinta in the Jasmine residence. The master bedroom was spacious and well-decorated with plenty of windows to let in a lot of natural light. At first our AC wasn't working properly, so we asked for help, and someone came quickly and fixed the problem. We experienced the staff to be very quick to respond to our needs.

The grounds were breathtaking! Everything was so beautiful. There were many swimming pools and places to lounge and rest around the different pools. Very relaxing atmosphere.

There is a shuttle that provides complimentary drop-offs and pick-ups to/from the center of town, which was very convenient. The breakfast had both hot and cold items, including an egg station, but the overall spread was simple.

We LOVED the 30-min neck and back massage at the spa. It was amazing! However, the prices are very high. Ask for a discount.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank livingbygrace
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed here with my mother and sister over Christmas 2011. What was supposed to be a beautiful week-long relaxing trip started off a little nightmarish. We were checked into CherryWood, a villa away from the central area.

We had booked for a king bed plus a single, and instead got two single beds and a very uncomfortable, old, fold-away day bed. We got the impression that CherryWood had not been occupied / cleaned in a while, as there were cockroaches / dead bugs laying on top the mosquito nets surrounding the bed and the sheets didn't smell clean. There were soap scum marks in the bath tub as well.

At night there is an orchestra of geckos / frogs which was VERY loud. If you're a deep sleeper then this isn't a problem. There is no seal between the walls and the thatched roof of the villa so insects just came in and out as they pleased...

THE HOT WATER RAN OUT IN 5 MINS. Being three girls this was a bit horrendous as two of us would have cold showers after long days in Ubud (which is lovely by the way). On the third night that this happened I was in the shower so I called the reception every 5 mins (while cold, wet, clutching a towel) and after about an hour we heard industrial hammering noises outside. After waiting another hour there was still no hot water so I called again and basically yelled at the manager (suddenly the only English-speaking member of staff) who happened to be at the hotel that night. He immediately transferred us to one of the rooms inside the main complex, which was much much better - clean, plenty of hot water, canopied four poster bed. This room looked like the room that was advertised on the website, we felt like we had paid for one thing and received something much less.

The breakfast was very very ordinary, stale bread and muffins and mee goreng / nasi goreng with too much salty bland sauce. The pools looked nice but are unheated. The grounds are pretty and quaint, a little shabby in a charming way. We didn't use the spa but it is advertised as award-winning.

The staff kept trying to push on to us tours of "traditional balinese painting and sculpting" which I resisted but from what we heard is a glorified shopping trip.

The location is good, short drive into Ubud town - you could even walk it really.
Once we moved to the new room there wasn't a problem but we wouldn't come here again and wouldn't recommend any friends to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay at one of the villas unless you're after a much more "rustic" experience.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank travelserene
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We checked out before unpacking our luggage and forfeited our pre paid accommodation voucher. First impressions of the foyer were of worn out patches in the carpets, dusty and dirty clutter and a daybed mattress so worn out it had no spring left in it. We waited for half an hour to get checked in despite making the booking over two months earlier.
The electricity was out when we were shown to the upstairs Waterlily suite, and the person who left us in the room didn't offer any assistance or information about when it would be back on, so we couldn't even check if things like the AC or TV worked. This was after brushing aside overgrown garden to get there and going past two uninviting outdoor jacuzzis which looked like they were in the middle of someone else's courtyard (we were informed that they needed 2 hours notice to get heated up). The top of the coat hanger in the bathroom was missing, the post on the bed was directly in line with the TV screen. We went back to the reception foyer where we found two of the three provided PCs did not work and internet too slow (we were by then trying to find other available accommodation). My husband used the toilet and it didn't flush. Went past via the spa and the lady was totally uninterested in my business, as if the prices didn't put you off enough.
Not a place to stay if you expect comfort, cleanliness or just for things to work.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 10 April 2012

If you can imagine that you are staying with your quirky, eccentric, Balinese relatives, then The Mansion kind of makes sense. It could be described it as 'bohemian'.. or maybe 'shabby'.. but definitely not chic!
I stayed for just one night in early April and I found the hotel to be a bit strange - the lobby is breathtakingly cluttered! The entrance is large and quite grand yet the check in desk is obscured by a strange mix of collectables, fabrics and mixed furnishings which swamp the place! The gardens are lovely, well kept and lush. My room was the 'Waterlily' room which is down a path, up some steps, around another corner, past the jacuzzis and then up two fights of stairs. It was peaceful and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom with its sculptural bath feature, was large but the taps were loose and wobbly. The wooden ventian blinds around the room were broken in many places and some couldn't be opened at all.
I didn't mind staying at The Mansion for one night but I wasn't sad to leave. The staff were nice enough but the shuttle I booked to take me to Ubud market instead decided to "help me" by visiting the big (and expensive) painting and jewellery tourist traps - I wasn't too happy about that. Breakfast was only so so and the service was a bit forgetful
The hotel was extremely quiet, I only saw a few other guests. Airport pickup was good, however although the price I paid on the website stated that the transfer was included, it was an added extra when I got my final bill.
Usually I'm a bit more decisive about how I feel about a hotel but this place left me feeling a bit odd and I can't quite work out why. The decor was overwhelming and the location was not great, the room was okay for one night but my lingering feeling is that it is not getting much right.
Its certainly not somewhere that I will ever return to. Not that it was really bad, it was just really 'meh'.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kbel3
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We did enjoy our stay thou it no longer would be classed as a 5 star now.
The food was good but not amazing. We went on a Discount package so that made it good value for us. The Spa facilities looked nice but are open air style so not so good when heavy down pour.....the prices where extremely expensive and I mean expensive I have been to bali over 25 times and make allowances for quality of service and location etc.....but the down fall would be the Spa prices..
There is better options around Ubud and many Day Spas to choose from.

Room Tip: residence room...spacious and styled like a suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple