“Friendly staff let down by management”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #61 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly staff let down by management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

I spent 9 days at The Mansion with a friend on a special deal for USD $120 per night. The hotel is self-rated as 5-star, but as other writers have mentioned a more accurate rating for Bali would be 3-3.5 star. Still, for the room rate we paid it was very good value.

We had a two bedroom Frangipani residence (one double and one single bed). There was a swimming pool just outside the residence and most days when I used it I was the only one there. The rate included a breakfast selection of juice, fruit, pastries, eggs and some local cooked dishes. It's not the usual expansive hotel buffet, but it was tasty and sufficient for us.

The staff were a highlight of the hotel and everyone was very friendly and helpful. When I had a problem with the cleanliness of my room this was quickly resolved, though it was the sort of problem that shouldn't have happened at all. I get the impression that The Mansion was once a very grand hotel - possibly 5 star in its day - but that the owners have let general maintenance and management of the property slip. I hope this is being addressed as The Mansion has a lot of potential. If I were in charge the first thing I'd do is give it a really good spring-clean throughout, pull down any fittings that were looking a bit tired and worn, and remove the unnecessary bric-a-brac which is detracting from some really lovely pieces in their collection.

The Mansion grew on me the longer I stayed there and it has a lot of things going for it for the price. Because I know what else is available in accommodation in Ubud I probably wouldn't return to The Mansion, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my stay. Apart from the room cleanliness issue I'd recommend The Mansion, as long as you are only expecting a 3 star property.

Room Tip: If you book a two bedroom residence you need to know that only one of the bedrooms has a double bed...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chelsea_Girl33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Really loved this hotel. Big enough to provide everything you require but small enough to feel special, quiet and relaxed. Beautiful colonial style building (which is much younger than you think) with lovely gardens in extensive rooms, 3 pools, 2 spa/massage areas and plenty of areas to just sit and relax, and maybe enjoy a quiet drink or two.
The rooms are big and clean with strong, hot showers. Our only minor complaint is that like so many hotels the rooms have poor lighting, especially if you just want to sit and read, and no comfortable chairs in the room?
Breakfast was delightful sitting out by the sunrise pool, we managed to nab the gazebo most days, and although the selection is huge it was all fresh and offered all we needed/wanted in a delightful spot with great views. Dinner is served in the same area and is well worth staying in for. We dined in the hotel one night and we had a beautiful, well priced, meal that we all really enjoyed. All the while being very well looked after - a beautiful night!
Staff are extremely friendly and all try to be helpful.
The Mansion is a great place to stay and I am looking forward to my next visit

Room Tip: Al the rooms we saw were great, but if you can the rooms near or in the Mansion seem to be bit bette...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I got a last minute deal of 65AUD per night including breakfast and was given a free upgrade from deluxe room to a small private villa. For the price paid this was an excellent stay! The hotel is very unique with lots of art and it's grand furnishings, with very pretty relaxing gardens and pool spaces, however it is quite run down when you look closely. Dirty, old and worn out towels. Bed linen is def not 5 star, and slightly grey. Pool area seating is also a little dirty and some chairs in the restaurant are also rather worn. The shuttle service into Ubud centre is brilliant, free and very accommodating. Hotel spa is vey pricey, can get much cheaper in Ubud. Our outdoor bathing area was very pretty although just needed some maintenance, cracks in the wall and a bit of mould around walls. Breakfast was ok, but not brilliant. The hotel has many places of relaxing and nature and art and grandeur to explore. For the price I paid this was truly an excellent stay. Not sure I would come back, for a more expensive price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank S B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Having read some of these reviews, you can almost pick the personality from them! I stayed by myself at the Mansions to get some relaxation after a friend's wedding in Legian, and loved it. Walking into the main lobby with huge curved grand staircases, art exhibits everywhere and slightly faded opulence made me think I had picked the right place. The gardens were beautiful and not over manicured. I had a suite room for a bargain of $250 a night, with a living area and daybed, leading to a huge bedroom with four poster bed, and into the very large marble bathroom. Everything was yes, perhaps not brand new, but clearly good faded quality and I loved the colour schemes and timber blinds. I ate breakfast every morning and dinner by myself twice, and found the service to be a little over the top but still very friendly, which is what you want when dining alone. The food was adequate, leaning to very good at times, but the menu can do with some improvement. However the room service was good and the staff overall very friendly and willing to help in any way. The massage and wrap was very expensive for the quality of it - the masseuse seemed very disinterested and not well trained - however, there are plenty of spas you can visit for most of the day for the same price that are much better, including Bali Botanica in Ubud.
Overall I would recommend the stay; I love the faded grandeur and the comfort of the rooms, the quirky gardens and pool, and food and service. If you want perfection and modern 5 star - go elsehwere, if you want to be interested in your surroundings of lush greenery and a mix of modern and local art - the Mansions is the place for you. I will definitely be going back one day.

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Helenoma
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Let me start by saying that this is not your typical, sterile, 5 Star Chain Resort. Stay in Nusa Dua if that's your desire. We arrived here after 5 days in Nusa Dua and I found the entire experience amazing, although in a kitschy sort of way. It was actually very refreshing to get away from the Western version of a resort and experience what I would consider a more Bali-like atmosphere.

We stayed with our 1 year old and the service and scenery were fantastic. My only concern was the shuttle to the town center, this was not reliable. We ended up renting a vehicle, but that was nice since it opened up endless sight seeing opportunities. However, driving in this country is not something to take lightly, it's about as crazy as it gets.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Mansion.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Estaban46
Jervis Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed at The Mansion for 2 nights. We got an online deal from Australia $249 for 2 nights inclusive of breakfasts, 1 night dinner and 15 minutes massage. The Mansion is GRAND- no other word to describe it but we felt that this was just the facade and underneath the razzle dazzle, the place had been let go. Most guests we spoke with were from Australia and on a "special online deal"- most playing between $100-$130 night.

We stayed in the Govenors suite which was massive, had a huge bath, marble floor, big bed. However the mirors hadn't been cleaned for a long time, drapery was dirty, towles old and threads dangling. We ordered beer to the room and it was delivered 30 minutes later and was warm, we then sent it back to get cold beer and was told that it was going to be another 15 minutes.

General service was poor- there were beer bottles and plates left around the pool area from other guests- when we asked staff for a towel (via the telephone as there were no staff around), they bought us a towel but then walked passed the bottles and plates !

Breakfast was okay- lots of options but average quality and the hot food was only just warm. We used our free 15 minute massage but did not extend the time as the prices for the spa were expensive in bali terms i.e. 450 000 rp- we got great massages in Ubud for 50 000.

The gardens are amazing and there are a few great little places to sit and relax. The front gardens are immaculately kept, but the gardens around the pool were let go and had weeds etc. The staff had a very low level of english which made it challenging to communicate. Asking for a map of the local area, we were provided with a bad photocopy of a map that was hard to understand and staff could not communicate particulars on the map (other than the staff that were trying to sell tours).

The free shuttle into Ubud was great and they were fairly good on the pick up and drop off times. However if you missed the shuttle you could get a taxi for 50 000 rp which was cheap enough.

We loved Ubud- great place. We would not come back to stay at The Mansion- but it was an experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zululu
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

My wife and myself just returned from one week stay at The Mansion where we had the most unforgettable time.

We previously stayed in Seminyak, and when we were checked in into our pool villa, through a very smooth and efficient registration, we felt like we were on heaven.
Coming from the busy city with heavy traffic, a walk through the huge and peaceful gardens and we finally reached this great relaxing ambiance we all expect for our holidays.

The rooms are very well appointed, we had a beautiful wooden bungalow within a private courtyard, with semi outdoor bathroom. This was our honeymoon trip, and each evening we had our villa decorated in a new way. On the first night our outdoor bathtub was filled with flowers and surrounded with candles. Next day, it was the pool that they arranged with plenty of floating candles, it was a never ending surprise, a great present we will always remember.

All our best thoughts to The Mansion staff, you have all been great! We will come back soon!

Room Tip: With some wooden villas, you will get a very cosy privatie, with a stylish private swimingpool in an...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple