“Exellent location, historic and freindly staff”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #60 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
melbourne
“Exellent location, historic and freindly staff”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My daughters and I stayed for three nights and were totally happy with the experience. The staff is efficient, helpful, friendly, and welcoming. The reception is very courteous and well accommodated, On arrival, we were pleased to have welcoming drink and a walk out around the hotel. We were totally amazed, this property looks like a museum which is rich in ornate architectural design and beautiful gardens. We had originally booked a deluxe room but were delighted to be informed that we had been upgraded to a Villa residence “RAMA” which was simply beautifully elegant and luxurious. All goes well for room amenities. The Indochine Lounge is a wonderful amenity and provided impressive buffet breakfasts with morning sun and pool view.

The location, near the artists villages of Ubud, walking distance is approximately 25 minutes away from the center. We took advantage of the village and rice paddy walk to ubud center, it is a great way to see real village life and learn a little about Balinese culture. Free shuttle bus is available as well, which makes it perfect for those who want to be close but not too close to the action. the drivers are friendly and helpful. The surroundings are beautiful; surrounded by rice fields and local traditional villages which is convenient to almost everything .

The Mansion is the perfect base for exploring the rest of the island. The resort provides details of tours which they are happy to organize on the guests behalf. We took advantage of this service and booked a day tour which included three temples and a visit to the volcano.

Our excellent tour guide and driver called Puja, what a treasure he was, and he speaks such a good English and provided great insight of each of the stop off points as well as suggesting additional stop off points which may be of interest, including a visit at the coffee plantation (highly recommend this!) Our regret is not having more days left at this resort to take additional trips for other locations around the island.
We highly recommend the Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa for your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Derrel C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I've stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels in Europe, but they didn't have a patch on The Mansion in Ubud. The setting was glorious, lots of little pools, flowers galore, and extremely helpful staff. The setting was stunning, and even though we went in relatively high season, we always had the pick of the loungers, and often had the pool to ourselves. Some people say they found this eerie, personally I loved being away from the crowds.

We stayed in one of the garden villas, and it was beautiful, spacious and relaxing. We got a great deal through a last minute room site and only booked a few days before. We got excellent value for money. The villa is very 'open' with glass on three sides, but curtains can be used for privacy. The design was very funky and it has all you would need - TV, aircon, ceiling fan and a massive bath. Anyone complaining about hearing frogs etc needs their head read. What do you expect from a tropical island?

The hotel is not in walking distance to Ubud, but they had a free shuttle there and back running throughout the day. These are quite busy, but they will run as many cars as they need to get you there promptly.

The only thing I would not recommend is the spa. While lovely, they charge in US dollars, and it doesn't not represent value for money. In fact, it cost more than I pay in Melbourne. Go into town

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank f1recrack3r
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We spent 5 days here and loved the resort. The charm and friendliness of the staff was a bonus. Loved the pool area and were amazed at the design of the gardens.
Found both the SPA and the restaurant very over priced so used the shuttle service to source alternatives in Ubud. I think the owners should reconsider the pricing strategy as would have enjoyed to spend more time utilizing options at the resort.
Breakfast choices were a bit limited.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Governor Suite and it was very luxurious. A five day package is worthwhile. The shutt...
3 Thank Ian R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We tried 3 different room here......all wonderful and charming. We booked for one night originally and extended for 5 nights hence the different rooms. We ended at cottonwood pool villa which was just beautiful. We also had a room called kenanga which was beautiful with hot tub outside. The service was excellent and the restaurant serves great food. The gardens are delightful and so relaxing. Great value for money! They offer a free shuttle into central ubud which is useful.
Very happy and will easily recommend this hotel to anyone going to ubud.

Room Tip: All beautiful and unique.
1 Thank emilyh35
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I spent 8 days at the resort and found it overpriced for what you get and what is on offer in Ubud. It is definitely nowhere near the 5 stars that they advertise - probably more 2 star. The plumbing was awful and I did not have hot water for the first 2 days of stay and then another day later on. I did not have water at all for 2 days of the stay. The staff were not very helpful with this and eventually the hot water was only fixed after I demanded to speak to Manager after the second day. The plumbing also made very loud noises (woke me up every night and I am a very sound sleeper) at night which keeps you up, The prices of the spa were ridiculously expensive. The location is quite a long walk from Ubud centre and most tours will not fetch you from the hotel. The worst part was that they charged me double for the trip. I booked via Expedia and paid in advance. When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card for incidentals and when I returned home after the trip, I see that the hotel charged for the full stay again on the credit card. They are still trying to find the "best way", according to the manager, to refund me.

I would not recommend the hotel or go near the place again!

Room Tip: Do not book here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Paula N
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Approach to hotel and entrance is good. Hotel full of over designed- rich and ornate furnishing. Lots and lots of things everywhere even if it has no aesthetics.

Rooms are laid out like In a sea side resort but the quality and amenities may be just about or below average.

Not particularly a hotel that will be appeal to repeat users or someone familiar with Ubud and market.

But the staff are friendly and smile and do their best to assist you.

1 Thank btakhel
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I can think of lots of little things that were wrong with The Mansion, but overall, the place is fantastic, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I absolutely loved staying there and, having left there a few nights ago, I know the fondness in my memory for this place will only grow with time.

First, the bad points:
It is a fair way out of the centre of Ubud (about 5km I think). It is fairly much in the middle of nowhere, with nothing of great interest to me within walking distance. There is cafe Vespa that is close, but alas, by the time I realised it was a decent cafe the Galangun (religious celebration) had started and it was closed because of it for the last few days I was there.

This means you have to rely on the Mansion's shuttle service, or taxis, everyday. However, despite previous reviews to the contrary, I found the shuttle service to be very reliable, and never missed out on getting a ride in. They have two shuttle vans, so if one is full they will send the second one out as well. Getting back was a bit less reliable, but most of the time we just got cabs, for 50,000 (equivalent to about $5 Australian; for a trip that would cost about $20 in Australia).

We had a massive bath tub in our room, but the hot water was very limited, and we couldn't fill it more than about 5 inches deep before the water was cold.

We ate at the restaurant on our first night and the food was very ordinary, and expensive. We were there for a week and never ate dinner there again. We didn't bother with our one free dinner after that, which was part of our deal. My wife had duck and it was really terrible, dry to the point of almost being inedible. I had a seafood medley and the prawns looked aged.

Despite all the outdoor pools, and water space, there were no heated spas.

The Wisnu suite, which we stayed in, and which was superb overall, didn't have a closed off bathroom or toilet. It's a separate space, but not walled off.

Finally, we travelled with a 21/2 year old, and we were expecting a separate bedroom, so that we could put her to bed and then spend time together without disturbing her. I would have complained, but the room was just too good to give up for something that may not have been as good.

Now the good:
The Mansion really is a mansion, with a grand entrance and foyer area. The property is very big and well kept, with so many pools and lovely outside lounge areas.

The buildings have a lot of character, which a lot of newer style resorts lack. The quality of the materials they used to build the mansion is very high; no corners were cut when they built this place.

The suite we stayed in was huge, with a balcony over looking the grounds.

The staff were great.

I know some have complained about the buffet breakfasts, but I can't understand why. The food quality and variety was excellent, and the setting is beautiful.

Overall, while it wasn't perfect, it is just such a great and unique place to stay that I couldn't recommend it highly enough. By staying there, you really will feel like you've stayed somewhere special, as I do, especially now reflecting back.

• Stayed August 2012