“Magic, Fireworks, Beautiful place”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #63 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Magic, Fireworks, Beautiful place”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We were there for Xmas holidays with our daughter and son in law. The management could not have been more courteous, helpful, and delightful! We loved the Wow! Festival, organized by Hai Tai, for New Year's Eve. A gala of fireworks, dancing, video and dj's plus a lot of community building and funds going for sustainability. A perfect blend of entertainment with a mission! The staff was outstanding, and everything was warm, heartfelt, and very international. We enjoyed the wide diversity of people who stayed at the Mansion. It was great to meet people from,literally, all over the world! I cannot imagine a better hotel.

Room Tip: The garden rooms were quiet, and the bathrooms had huge tubs. Ask for a room that has a sitting are...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here 3 nights after our initial booking at Zen Resort was cancelled due to overbooking. I choose The Mansion based on the good reviews here and the seductive images from their website.

Our stay was full of problems, which I can contribute to 2 general categories. First of all, although the staffs at the Mansion are all friendly, they are extremely incompetent and are completely unable to run and manage this property. Secondly, although the property is beautiful, it’s a very large property that’s in the process of still expanding, with very odd and confusing layout and very inconsistent room qualities.

Here are the details of our stay for anyone who’s interested.

After a long check-in in the evening we were led to our room, the staff showed us the main restaurant, we walked through first large courtyard, then through the spa, through the “spa village”, to the second courtyard, and passing several more pools, to the back pond, then through a door/gate, then into another smaller courtyard with some kind of round performance building in the middle, to our room. Basically we realized that this is a huge property that we were put in the very back corner where you have to walk through a lot of awkward spaces. This is a new area with half the buildings still under construction. The room was much smaller than expected, there’s no separation between the room and the bathroom except for a very thin transparent veil. The staff walking us in left the door open and the lights on, so a ton of flies came in, no screen doors. The window and glass door of the room looks directly across at another room, occupied as well, so there was no privacy at all. The curtains had to be shut the whole time. Again because this area is still under construction, there are lots of random workers hanging out just outside the room during the day, very awkward. But the biggest problem with the room, the one that I really couldn’t deal with, was that the water that came out of the bathroom faucet smelled like rotten sewer. I let it run for a while hoping the smell would go away, but it just made the entire bathroom area smell miserable. The water fountain outside the room smelled horrible as well.

Ignoring the problems at first I called housekeeping for some insect incent and a universal adapter (power plug for our phones), they transfer me to another person who understood and said would bring to us. We make our way through the hotel grounds (and getting lost a few times) to have dinner and after returning noticed that they haven’t brought the adapter. So I call housekeeping again, I get transferred again, this time the person told me to call front desk instead. I call front desk and they also say no problem they’ll bring us 2 adapters. We wait for the rest of the night, nothing. I’ve never been at a hotel when twice in a row when someone agrees to deliver something and then without explanation just don’t do it!

Next morning, half way through breakfast, after I get myself a plate of food and my partner gets a cup of coffee, we return to find that our table had been turned. The busy boy cleaned off our table halfway through breakfast! I’m not upset over that but my bottle of sunscreen sitting on the table is also gone. So I wave down a staff and ask to retrieve it if it’s been thrown away. After some confusion and dialogues between the staff (which I don’t understand), the lady in charge informs me that there wasn’t a sunscreen bottle. She claims the bus boy did not find it and did not throw it away. This really irritated me since it was clearly whoever cleared the table, but here this lady claims I’m mistaken. Eventually she found the bottle had been put next to a bench near the table. So obviously the busy boy did find it. No apologies.

At this point I’m really ready to leave. I talked to the manager, a very polite man (French I’m guessing?), about the international adapter incident. He apologized but gave no explanation and handed us one right there. So they had them all along! I also requested a room change, being high season, they only had a 2 twin bed available in the spa village. Without seeing it, we agreed to change to it. The new room was a traditional Balinese styled room, at least 3 times bigger than the previous room, and with a lot more regular amenities missing from the first room, such as bench, safe, etc. It’s a lot closer to the main area of the hotel, and sitting in a nice court instead of weird fountain and big round wooden building. Even though the beds won’t that comfortable and we still had a ton of flies, but this is the kind of room we had been expecting based on their website. Amazingly enough these rooms has the same rates! So the first room was way over priced. I’m very surprised at such inconsistency in the property. We also noticed that it was trying to expand by adding lot of new courtyards & substandard rooms, craft shops, and other facilities. Making an otherwise a nice boutique hotel into a weird and contrived, self-claimed “5-star” property. For example, there’s a “media lounge”, I guess it’s suppose to be a club, in the front of the hotel. These additions just dilute the quality.

So our room situation was fixed but the staff incompetency remained. There’re just too many examples. I had to call for our luggage to get moved to the room after waiting for 2 hours. The rooms aren’t cleaned til around 5pm. At checkout we gave the adapter back and another couple who just checked in asked for one as well. Instead of just giving ours to them, they said “we’ll bring it to you later”, didn’t even ask for their room. Really, there was one right there! Food and drinks takes forever to get delivered in the pool area. I think the hotel compound might just be too big for the staff to run it properly.

Room Tip: rooms vary greatly at this place, best to request to see what's available then decide.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Qian21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

This is a gorgeous hotel it's the calmest most relaxing place i have ever stayed. The hotel has loads of sitting areas all located around small pools. the breakfast was gorgeous overlooking a plunge pool and deep into the mountains.
The hotel is very quiet and a bit of a drive from Ubud centre but perfect if you want to relax.

Stayed October 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very good hotel, inside jungle.

We like location, because it is something different. Hotel is beautiful. Indonesian style. Totally different than we are used to. Pool is nice, etc.

But service is very poor as in most places in Bali. For cappuccino you wait 10 minutes!?!?!

Too much useless staff. By breakfast, 10 people around all the time. Room cleaning 3 gays, etc... And even so maintenance of the hotel is not 5*. But everywhere in Bali is the same.

Anyhow I warmly recommend this hotel. Just keep in mind, to shut off light in the evening, because mosquitos are coming in the room.

Room Tip: Very good hotel, for reasonable price, but inside Jungle. Many mosquitos, frogs, ...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had the opportunity to spend a week in Ubud at the Mansion and had an incredible time while there. If you have a chance, stay in Palmwood or Rockwood, both lovely (palmwood having its own mini pool). The grounds feel like a Bali version of Alice in Wonderland, lots of intimate passageways, very green and a room for all types. The owner, Ibu Claudine, is highly involved in the day to day and displays a genuine desire to ensure all who walk through their door enjoy their stay, both for the wonderful New Years party they threw in partnership with a local non-profit, WOW Bali, and their hotel guests. Come here ready to enjoy their multiple pools and take a much needed relaxer.

• Stayed January 2014
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Beautiful location although a shuttle service is required to take you to the center. Must have been a splendid hotel in the past but to be honest, this resort has lost some of it's glory. Definitely not a five star hotel at the time. Very little activity going on early January. Nevertheless enjoyed my stay

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Meppel
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Mansion is great; such friendly staff, a garden thats like 'small Bali', several swimmingpools. I stayed one week in the cottage Puri Wisnu, at checking out I found out that I was upgraded :-). . Breakfast isnt very various, but its good. Did not use the spa because of the prices, but it sure looked relaxing! the shuttle to and from Ubud worked fine.I definitely will come back to this beautifull resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo