“I can say it in one word: Magical!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of COMO Uma Ubud

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #14 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Angeles City, Philippines
“I can say it in one word: Magical!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Everything is right in Uma, from the moment you arrive until the day you leave. Fantastic and friendly Staff (terimah kasih banyak!), magical surroundings, great food, a beautiful pool and lounge pool bar, Uma has got it all for us!!!

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We stayed here on our honeymoon in July 2011 and it was amazing from start to finish. We had a gorgeous garden room with wine and fruit and rose petal filled bath on arrival. Room was huge and clean and gorgeous. Staff were nothing but amazing, food was extremely delicious and healthy. There were other honeymooners but lots of families too so not just loads of couple which was nice. Major highlight was the Como shambala signature massage which was amaaaazing and worth every penny you pay for it.

We did have one slight issue with the hotel regarding some art we bought in Ubud which the hotel agreed to ship back to the UK for us. The final price ended up being over 4 times the initial price quoted by the hotel (and also 4 times the price if the original art itself!) we emailed a complaint and I am very please to report it was handled extremely quickly and efficiently - a full investigation was launched (!) and we were refunded a significant amount of money which both amazed and surprised us THANK YOU UMA UBUD.

We found this beautiful hotel through using a bespoke travel agent, Passepartout travel, who helped create an affordable personalised 2 weeks mixing in rest, relaxation, cultural experiences whilst creating the wow factor we were looking for, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Use Passepartout travel to arrange your trip to Bali as they have strong relationships wit...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah P
Los Angeles, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Just returned from a two-week stay at Uma Ubud, where I co-led a yoga retreat with a fellow teacher from Singapore. We had 45 retreat guests, and everyone loved the resort!

Service: The hallmark of a great resort, especially at the pricier levels. Guest Service Manager Marc offered helpful tips and ensured that everything went smoothly with our group. The entire staff was unerringly friendly and helpful, and many staff members remembered and referred to us by our names, even when we were simply walking around the resort. The room was discreetly refreshed twice-daily, and housekeeping was prompt when called. Drivers were always on hand for trips into Ubud town.

Accommodations: I stayed in a Garden Room, which was essentially a mini-villa, entered via a koi pond. Room was extra spacious, the King-size bed firm and super-comfortable, the indoor/outdoor bathroom a designer's tableau of black stone and bleached wood. Excellent Como Shambhala toiletries products! Everything was subtly beautiful and functional, though a brighter desk lamp would have been helpful for work matters. I also visited a Terrace Room, which is technically the lowest room category. Its terrace had an open view, which I ultimately preferred to the more enclosed feeling of the Garden Room. Still, no complaints for style or comfort in either room. If you need to be insulated in an A/C-blasting room and have absolutely no contact with bugs or geckos, this is not the place for you. The resort does its best to ward off mosquitoes and other creepy-crawlies -- even offering bug repellent in the rooms -- but it stays true to the Balinese way of indoor/outdoor living, celebrating rather than denying the gorgeous nature all around it.

Food: Kemiri, the main restaurant, is dramatically situated next to a large koi pond. Staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful, even if a few breakfast orders occasionally got lost in the shuffle (largely due to the size of our retreat group). Special requests were graciously and generously honored, unlike some expensive resorts which try to nickel-and-dime guests for every extra item. I loved the coconut pancakes, and the laksa for more savory flavor. Food was a nice selection of Western and Indonesian, and there was something tasty for every diet. More casual dining was offered at the poolside bar/lounge, which was a wonderful place to gather for drinks, snacks, and full meals. Waitstaff would bring portable eating trays, making dining both convenient and comfortable. While there were certainly cheaper places to eat near the resort and further in town, the Uma prices were still reasonable enough to eat in-house a few nights.

Leisure: Part of the Como Shambhala spa/resort group, Uma is perfect for wellness programs/retreats, or for anyone who enjoys a chic detox refuge. The two yoga studios had gorgeous views, and were fully outfitted for hardcore yogis -- all the props available. One of the studios overlooked the resort's gorgeous infinity pool, which was more than long enough to satisfy the swimmers in our group. I didn't try any of the spa treatments, though the treatment rooms looked peaceful and clean. I also didn't try the steam room, for which you must apparently alert the staff about 15 mins prior to turn on the steam. (Not sure why anyone needs a steam in a steamy climate!). A small gym offers cardio equipment and some light free weights, i.e., not a place for serious bodybuilders.

Overall Style: Chic, minimal yet warm, casually luxurious, a good blend of indoor/outdoor, taking full advantage of Ubud's lush greenery. Exceptional attention to details; every corner of the resort offers a fresh visual surprise. White/gray/tawny palette is calming, especially in contrast with the beautiful and colorful gardens.

Clientele: Younger to middle-aged couples, mostly straight but some gay, European/Western/Singaporean/HK. Best for couples and singles, though some guests brought young children. Generally fit clientele, which is helpful to climb the fair number of stairs throughout the multi-level property.

Summary: While there are many beautiful upscale resorts in the Ubud area -- including Uma's sister property the Como Shambhala Estate in Ubud -- this resort stands out for its hip-chic vibe and exceptional yoga/wellness facilities, which make is such a FANTASTIC VALUE. It's an extremely well-run resort, and they get the important things right. Would be thrilled to return as a solo guest or for another yoga retreat.

Room Tip: All the rooms differ slightly, even within the same category. If the resort is not full, definitely...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DKYoga
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I spent a week at Uma, doing a yoga retreat.

The terrace rooms at Uma are understated but beautiful. Rooms are furnished with whitewashed light wood furniture and four poster beds and the view is quietly breathtaking, especially the view of the valley. If you are doing yoga here, this is the best place I have experienced so far, especially in terms of facilities. The yoga pavillion next to the spa which overlook the valley is gorgeous.

One thing though is that given the proximity to nature, you have to get used to insects and I did get bitten many times throughout the nights there.

The ala-carte breakfast has a good variety of western and indonesian choices and food is very well-done except that service was not always consistent.

While the Uma is not walking distance to town, town is not far and the hotel offers a shuttle a couple of times a day. You have art galleries and spas (Bliss and Botanical Day Spa - recommended) and variety of eating places (Mosaic, Nuris and Pulau Kelagua) within walking distance. The distance from town is a good thing as the feature of the hotel is provding guests with rest and a quiet elegant stay.

Room Tip: Pick the terrace rooms.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I finished off our Bali holiday with 2 nights at Uma, however next time I will make this hotel the highlight. Sure this is not the most luxurious hotel in Ubud however in term of elegance and tranquility Uma certainly gives the big guns a run for their money. I loved the laid back style and the staff were genuinely attentive and always warm and friendly. I had some terrible spa treatments in Seminyak but the Como Shambala retreat therapists at Uma are so wonderful that I enjoyed 3 90minute treatments during the 2day stay. Everything was heavenly and I even purchased product to bring back home. Another reason I chose Uma was for the complimentary yoga and morning walks. The yoga pavilion is beautiful and it was very enjoyable to practice listening to the sounds of the local animals and trying to remain focused during "tree pose" whilst squirrels were playing in the forest. I also took one morning walk
which was so beautiful and the guide was very informative as we wandered through the local rice paddies. Another highlight at Uma is the wonderful food, my 2 day stay was not long enough to sample everything I wanted to try even though we ate every meal at the hotel. The breakfasts were so enjoyable after yoga or walking, please try the bircher muesli and eggs benedict.
Thank you Uma for a wonderful stay.

Badung, Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed at Uma Ubud for 1 night only during my trip to UBUD. The hotel area is really nice and tranquil. I was really amazed by the staff.... i could feel their honest hospitality. The room was great ( i stayed at Como Suite), the pool was nice.

I did the 'guided morning walking" , a bit dissapointed, as the route wasn't as beautiful as i expected and it took only 30 minutes (the receptionist told me that it would be 1 hour and 30 minutes). However, over all, i would highly recommended this resort!.

1 Thank Luke T
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed in the Uma for three nights. The hotel is beautiful and my room was lovely, lots of light, great view into the woods, beautiful bed with a mosquito net around it (they opened it up at night), large bathroom with a sunken bathtub. I particularly liked the fact that I had to go down a private staircase to get to the room and it felt like my own house and very secluded.

Pool area was beautiful (although a bit too much shade). Gym is small but with modern equipment. Spa is nice (although there are too many bugs there). Service was impeccable: the staff remembered my name, was very helpful and attentive.

Food was very good. I had choices from both their normal and their healthy menu and both were excellent! Breakfast was good although wished they had a compilation menu (breakfast items are ordered individually and each item is meal-size). What I had was excellent though.

The one main negative thing - and the reason why it has been difficult to rate the hotel  - is that the hotel is just missing something. The wow-factor maybe? The nature around Ubud is so incredible and it feels like the hotel could have made more so much out of the surroundings. Or maybe chosen a slightly different location? It is just not as nice and peaceful as I would want it to be. That made the whole experience good but not amazing.

Couple of more things:
- My mattress felt a bit worn out.
- The location of the hotel is not the best. It is too far from Ubud to conveniently walk (about 45 min) but too close to be in the middle of nowhere. That being said, taxis are plentiful and cheap.
- if you book the package with the free tour, be very specific as to what you want to see. Otherwise, the guide will take you from one touristy store to the next (I.e. The place to buy wood carvings, silver jewelry, batik cloth, etc). It feels like he is taking you to his friends place and gets a cut of the profits they make off of you. However, the rest of the tour (rice terraces, temple, etc.) was lovely and you learn a lot about the culture and people.

Room Tip: Request room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AE-traveling
BaliManager, General Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear AE-Traveling,

Thank you for your review and feedback about Uma Ubud. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Uma Ubud and trust that we certainly value your comments and it will help to further perfect Uma Ubud's services and facilities for our future guests. I do regret that your experience on our beds, our humble approach to landscaping and our location was not as you had expected. Within our discretely elegant setting, we strive to offer our guests the highest of standards. As such, we continually re-invest through frequent renovation and refurbishment projects to ensure we maintain standards for which COMO Hotels & Resorts is known.

In regards to your comment on the location of Uma in relation to Ubud centre, please allow me to offer some clarification for guests that may be considering staying with us at Uma Ubud in the future: Uma Ubud is located within Ubud in the Sanggingan area. Although Uma is not situated in Ubud's bustling centre, we are literally moemtns away with collector’s shops, and art galleries, lining the road that leads to the centre. Uma Ubud is fortunate to be in an ideal position offering proximity to the excitement of Ubud, yet a peaceful, quiet and relaxing location. We also provide daily complimentary shuttle service to Ubud for thios who prefer not to walk.

Once again, I thank you for your comments. I do hope to welcome you back to Uma Ubud and equally hope that the above information serves as some assistance to our future guests.

warm regards,