“Paradise!”

Ranked #14 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
London, England, United Kingdom
“Paradise!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I could not recommend staying at Uma by Como more highly. We stayed for six nights last week and found it the perfect base for exploring the Ubud region of Bali. We were upgraded on arrival to a Pool Suite Villa (No.41) and the room was excellent, very clean, tastefully decorated, amazing views across a valley and large for two people.
All of the hotel staff were friendly, exceptionally helpful and went to all lengths to make sure we felt instantly at home. Our driver Agung who collected us from the airport gave us such an interesting guided tour in the car on the way up to Ubud.
The food was delicious and there was a very varied choice. Breakfast was particularly good, lots of variety of healthy juices and fruits as well as eggs and traditional Balinese red rice porridge – which was REALLY good! They catered easily for gluten-free options as well as my boyfriend’s nut allergy. Supper at Uma Cucina as part of the Bali Jazz festival was a particular highlight of the week.
We really enjoyed the complimentary daily yoga and the tours to the volcano, Kintamani Temple and the Cecak and Barong Dances in the evening. We indulged in massages at the spa which were excellent! The staff at the hotel were very good and helping us organise a schedule so that we had a perfect balance of relaxing and seeing the area.
We had the most wonderful holiday at Uma and woud definitely go back and recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Sarah P,

It was a great pleasure having you staying with us at Uma.

I am grateful that your 6 nights stay with us was a memorable one. It was lovely to have good chats with you and enable us to share some recommendations to explore what Ubud/Bali could offer. It seems that you discovered lots of aspects. Besides enjoying your villa, our breakfast at Kemiri, the valley view, as well as our Uma Cucina's cuisine, I am delighted to know that you got the opportunities to have adventurous and cultural experiences, including the Tania Maria Jazz concert, yes indeed it was the highlight of the week.

We look forward to welcoming you back and discover more Ubud and Bali.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Upon arrival, my boyfriend and I were in awe with their excellent service! We were welcomed with smiles everywhere. While the staff walked with us to the room, she told us the direction to the bar, breakfast area, etc and the timing for each of them.

The staff would greet us everytime we went out for our tours or come back from our trips. There are even ice water served to us when we had a swim at the public swimming pool. I would love to come back again, or maybe try their sister resort.

The only negative is the unlimited "love bites" from the mosquitoes when we stayed at the Garden Villa, despite that there is a mosquito net around the bed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Holidayssofun,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience at Uma with reviewers.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and particularly commented on the excellent service from our team.

I am saddened to know that during your stay you had mosquito bites. We do mosquito spray everyday and mosquito fogging 2 times a month. It was very unfortunate experience as mosquito bite is very unlikely happened at Uma. We will review our pest controlling schedule to make improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for an age and feel bad its taken me so long! I stayed at the Uma for a week in April 13 and had one of the best hotel experiences ever.
The Uma is really in a league of its own. It's not just the beautiful and peaceful gardens, large and stylish rooms, variety of daily activities on offer or the fantastic and great value cuisine.. It's the management and staff that set this place apart.. Within a day of arrival the staff would call my partner and I by name, nothing was too much trouble and we were always greeted with a smile. The hotel manager was often at breakfast chatting to guests and he helped us with local info on galleries etc.
The Como Shambhala Spa is simply divine. Spa treatments and massages are not usually my thing but surprisingly after an amazing massage I found myself booking in another 3 or 4 times.. unheard of for me. The Spa is beautifully serene and absolutely immaculate. At $50 USD for a 60 minutes of bliss it was truly a bargain!
We received an amazing room upgrade on arrival.. such a treat, literally house sized. The hotel was so accommodating and thoughtful. Perhaps the part I was most amazed by was on departure. We booked a hotel transfer to Denpasar airport. On arrival, the Uma representative not only took us through initial security to the line for check in, but waited with us through check in to ensure everything was ok, then took us through to where paid the departure tax and did this on our behalf to ensure we got through ok. This probably took 30-40 minutes in all and he was so patient and helpful. Given we were carrying a few large artefacts we had bought, I was quite relieved by his help. It's this kind of thing that sets the Uma apart. I really was blown away.
So, if you are looking for a stylish and intimate hotel atmosphere, service that is second to none and fantastic food and drinks, then look no further than the Uma by Como. The value for money is amazing. I'm returning very soon and can't wait.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear LadybirdinLondon,

It has been a pleasure hosting you at Uma by COMO, Ubud and I am glad that you had a great time.

It is very motivating to hear that our team is the greatest aspect of your experience. I am happy to have opportunities to share with you some recommendations on what Bali and Ubud could offer.

Yes, please return soon, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Uma by Como is just amazing. In every way and every sense. The setup, the staff, the nature, the pool, the breakfast.....
We stayed in villa 12, with outdoor garden. We actually got an upgrade when we arrived. The staff was friendly enough to show me also other villa options and the upgrade they gave us was truly gorgeous. Special mention to hotel manager Sika and front desk lady Cica, thank you for making our stay so comfortable.
The breakfast was incredible - on top of already great quality buffet, you get your breakfast a la carte. I cannot forget the pumpkin pancake or french toast with mango mousse. Pure perfection.
Yoga class was also really good, the yoga pavilion is set up above jungle and small river, it really is like from the movies. Yoga teacher was giving us quite advanced lesson, but he was really taking good care of all participants.
The room was great, and the bathroom was just mind-blowing. Exterior bathroom made in dark gray stone - what a gorgeous place to hang out at night, during a thunderstorm!
I never wanted to leave! I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: villa no. 12 is with a garden and it is quite secluded from pool and reception.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jelenaeva
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Jelenaeva,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writing such a fantastic review.

We are delighted that your experiences at Uma were amazing in all aspects. I will pass your positive comments to Sika and Cica which I am sure will motivate to serve our guests even better.

Please return to Uma soon, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 days stay here in the earrly of March and we did not regret at all. Our room was extremely spacious and modern. We especially enjoyed the garden view and the atmosphere here made us very relaxing and comfortable. Food was excellent and staffs were so helpful and attentive. Do not miss this hotel if you visit Bali

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Amirdock,

Thank you so much for your review and your recent stay.

We are happy that you loved your stay and enjoyed so much the room, the garden, the relaxing and comforting atmosphere. I am delighted that you found our team helpful and attentive.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma soon.

Warm regards,

Duarte, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay at Uma with my sister and mother and must say that all of us had a phenomenal experience! It was my first visit and the third time visit for my mom and sister.

From the time we checked in, we were treated like royalty. All the staff addressed us by our first names and took great pains to make us feel at home. I've stayed at quite a few luxury resorts before but Uma surpasses all of them. Besides being a beautiful lush resort, the service was impeccable and personable. All the staff take so much pride and love in their work and it shows!

Morning breakfasts at Kemiri were a great way to start our day, the fresh fruit spread was delightful and the staff went out of their way to accommodate any dietary preferences. Although the fruit, bread and yoghurt offerings were laid out buffet style, someone would always approach and help serve us.

The Terrace room that we had is very tastefully and comfortably furnished. I like that there is a nice sitting porch area outside the room with lots of lush green plants....perfect place to read a book while enjoying a cup of tea and listening to the birds sing. The room is well stocked with fresh fruit and mineral water daily; point to note here is that Uma provides as many bottles of mineral water as you need at no extra charge. Many other hotels charge you after the first two!

I strongly recommend going for the free morning walk through the close by padi fields which included walking through an organic vegetable farm. Made (pronounced as Ma-Day), our guide, really knows his stuff and we were treated to a real cultural experience.

We wanted to visit the Tampak Sering temple to experience the spiritual purification and Made customized a trip specially for us. He guided us through the entire process and even brought extra sarongs and towels for us! He also included a stop at Bali Purina, a coffee and spice garden, where we got to taste luwak coffee or 'cat poop' coffee as another reviewer calls it. It's really not as gross as it sounds, the coffee bean is contained in the 'sill' and is thoroughly washed with hot water after it's picked out from the faecal matter. Made also stopped by an art school in nearby Keliki Village where we were introduced to the art of traditional Balinese painting. Thank you again Made!

The spa was also wonderful, make sure you try the Como Shambala massage! Uma also provides daily yoga lessons in a beautiful pavilion overlooking the jungle. The setting is so tranquil and peaceful, an idyllic place to do meditative yoga with Budhi, our yoga instructor. Point to note here is that there is no charge for the yoga classes; some other resorts charge as much as $20 per class!

I cannot say enough good things about Uma and their amazing staff! Thank you Suteja, Sika, Dwi, Agus, Tini, Cica, Niti, Rahaya, Komang, Rina (and all the other front office members whose names I did not get) for taking such good care of us during our stay. We look forward to returning again soon.

If you are looking for an authentic Balinese resort experience, look no further! Uma will not disappoint you!

Room Tip: The hotel is designed in true Balinese fashion so expect lots of steps leading to the villas. If you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Charlotte1328
Dear Charlotte1328,

First of all, let me tell you how gratefull we are at Uma to host such delighful family like yours. It is a pleasure hosting you and family at Uma Ubud.

Thank you for your wonderful review which I am sure will inspire lots of travellers. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and you spent a great family time together. It was fun having good chats with you.

We look forward to having you and family staying with us again.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a couple and can't praise it enough! The staff are super friendly and they are looking for opportunity to please you professionally, the food is superb, a very tranquil and uncrowned location! This place gives you exclusivity and is great for couples to go plus great experience at Spa

Room Tip: ask for it,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Maikhao11,

Thank you for staying with us and posting such a positive review.

We are delighted that you loved your stay at Uma and enjoyed our food, the tranquality and exlusivity of the resort, our spa, and most importantly our friendly team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.