“Excellent place with great yoga practice”
Review of COMO Uma Ubud

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #14 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Hamburg, Germany
“Excellent place with great yoga practice”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at Uma for two weeks and found it an excellent place to stay. Our room (a terrace room) was tastefully furnished in white and light wood colors and had a large, elegant bathroom and a totally private terrace. The shower was great - open to the outside and fresh air - but no insects or the like, totally private, and with a sturdy lock in the door leading to the rest of the bathroom, for safety (no issues on that count, though). Really perfect. Wonderful large bathtub, lots of towels, etc. There was AC as well as a fan (both of them very effective, when required). Rooms are being serviced twice every day. We found really nothing wanting.
All the staff were very friendly, without disturbing you when you prefer quietude. They just appear genuinely friendly and are always looking for ways to be helpful.
In terms of food, Uma is really good at adjusting to special requirements. There is a vegan menu, for instance - including superb vegan coconut icecream (not sorbet, real ice-cream!). I have a LOT of food allergies, and the chefs were really spectacular in making sure that nothing went wrong. I had no problems whatsoever during the two weeks of my stay, despite the really complicated allergy situation. Really an EXCELLENT job!
The grounds are beautiful, but not extensive. From the yoga pavilion and a few of the rooms, there is a very beautiful view of a river far below in a narrow valley.
Overall, the resort has a very quiet feel to it. I guess you can get to know other guests if you like, but you can also just keep to yourself and relax, or enjoy all the yoga classes, massages, etc.
Speaking of those, yoga classes with Budi were SUPERB. I am a beginner, really, and not very sporty. Still, I really enjoyed his classes and ended up going every day. After the vacation, I felt SO much better, and am really trying to keep up yoga practices now, back at home. There are also great group yoga sessions for all levels. During yoga practice, you have this wonderful view of the valley and are surrounded by the sounds of the forest, and only those. A very special experience. Budi is an excellent teacher, with a good sense of what you can and cannot do. He adjusts practice such that you feel the challenge - and your progress - without making it too hard. And he offers a lot of variety in terms of exercises and different combinations; so it never gets boring, even if you do go every day. We are already looking forward to many more of his great yoga classes next time we stay at Uma.
I also had a WONDERFUL massage therapist who worked miracles in terms of getting rid of my shoulder and neck pains. She offered a thai/accupressure massage style treatment - which is not on the spa menu, strictly speaking - because I preferred that. I came back several times for it. I was told that the other massage therapies are really great too; but I loved her thai massage and just stayed with that throughout my stay.
In terms of other activities, you can borrow DVDs at the reception (which we did not try, no idea regarding breadth of choice), and you can use the shuttle to Ubud if you like (walking is also feasible, though, and cabs are very cheap, too). There are beautiful walks in the area, across rice fields and along a ridge. And you can go on guided tours (mountain-biking, sightseeing, etc.).
In summary, I can definitely recommend Uma. We are hoping to go back very soon!

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view of the valley
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear ChristinaDE2014,

I couldn't thank you enough for writing such a wonderful review.

I am delighted to read that your diatery special requirement could be catered. We feel good when we know that our guests don't have to worry for their food despite any diatery situation they might have. Our cuisine team is always ready to listen, discuss and come up with tailor made menu.

We will pass your very positive comment regarding our yoga class to Budi, our yoga teacher. He is indeed very talented and able to adjust his style of teaching to the level of participant. We hope that you will continue doing yoga at home.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma Ubud soon.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Muscat
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is 2 hours drive from the Bali airport in the hill side village cAlled Ubud. A very beautiful setting. Boutique style and lavish. We loved the stay, the service staff superb and the massages and yoga was great.
There are 2 restaurants to select from. The breakfast is nice as well. Loved our stay.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank NStar M
Dear Nstar M,

Thank you for staying at Uma by COMO, Ubud and I am glad that you loved your stay. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our COMO Shambhala massage, yoga, food and particularly the service offered by our team.

I look forward to welcome you back to Uma or other COMO properties very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon. The staff are exceptional and go the extra mile. Great hotel will definitely recommend it! The hotel has great facilities, great selection in breakfast and dinner. I would recommend taking taxis from outside tho as taxis from the hotel is expensive

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Vim84,

It is a pleasure to have you enjoying your honeymoon with us at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

We are glad that you had a great time and enjoyed what Uma could offer. Thank you for your great comment on our team which will motivate us to always offer our best genuine service. your contructive feedback on our taxi's tariff is appreciated and we will look into it accordingly.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma Ubud.

nyc
Reviewed 11 April 2014

well we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, i just read that this hotel was so great on trip advisor and booked our hotel to be honest. our flight arrived in bali at midnight so we were so tired- the driver was waiting for us and had nice cold wet towels to clean our face and an a/c car which was clutch in the sticky heat of bali. we arrived and the staff was so nice and helpful, and then BAM! we opened the doors to our villa and there is a koi pond in our reception area, the room is gorgeous, and the bathroom is exquisite- there is a tub in the open, the bathroom itself is open to fresh air and you take a shower with nature (but still have your privacy). they prepared a nice little snack for us and left in the fridge as we arrived so late- wonderful sandwiches, spring rolls and sweets. really hit the spot. from then on out the service was great. breakfast is included (it was for us at least) and this ain't no coffee and stale bagel breakfast. you order whatever you want from the menu and it is really delicious! fresh coconut water, fresh fruit juice, coffee, and international newspaper! get the corn cake with the breakfast. really delicious. i was feeling especially debaucherous so one morning i ate french toast w/ mango curd AND eggs benedict. delicious! they didn't even judge me for eating so much. the only downside is the hotel is a small way away from the center of town so you will need to take a taxi but it's not that expensive. other than that it was the perfect honeymoon- although i read this sam b's ratings and apparently he got all the stops on his honeymoon lucky guy! what a wonderful place will remember it for a long time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear dr_evil_nyc,

Congratulations once again! we are delighted that you chose Uma Ubud to celebrate you honeymoon.

It is very kind of you to share your wonderful experience at Uma on TripAdvisor - the same forum you knew Uma before deciding your stay In Bali. We are glad that you loved our room, enjoyed the cuisine and most importantly you felt the genuine service of our team.

We feel humbble to read that you will treasure your special time at Uma for a long time, however I hope it will not take you too long to return to Uma.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I recommend this place for all who look for relax. Eco-friendly modern design with beautiful wild nature, helpful staff and very good facilities
- that's why I like my staying at Uma by COMO very much. And also they have a big pool! I will miss it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sun_ru
Dear Sun_ru,

I trust that your brief review will inspire reviewers to visit Uma by COMO, Ubud.

Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that you had a great time at Uma.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

First off, this is a beautiful property. The rooms are gorgeous, the restaurants and pool area is gorgeous, the spa is really nice as is the area they use for yoga. Additionally, the food is quite good. Our breakfast was included in our rate, which might make you think that means some kind of Continental spread. Not the case. We could order anything off the menu, and as much as we wanted. Really nice. And the people there are extremely friendly. If ever back in Bali, I would return. But here's why I have to give it 4 stars instead of 5. First, there are too many kids. For a hotel that seems to be positioning itself as a calm, peaceful retreat, it's a little difficult being surrounded by shrieking 10 year olds all the time -- they completely take over the communal pool during the day. And about 3 nights into our stay, a family moved in next to our pool villa. The shrieking would start around 6:30 AM and last much of the day into the night. I don't blame the kids -- they're kids, enjoying themselves. When we alerted the hotel, they offered to move us, even upgrade us into their top room. We ended up choosing a room of equal value a few doors down because it was sunnier. But then my wife left a pair of shoes behind in our old room. Long story short, she never saw the shoes again. Someone else had moved into our old room and the hotel had a difficult time getting into the room to look for my wife's shoes -- even days later, when we were checking out. The other guests claimed they didn't see anything, but my wife is almost 100% positive her shoes were there. We gave the hotel our info, but we never heard from them -- even just to say that they had checked thoroughly after the other guests had left and found nothing. Other issues -- when people came to pick up our bags upon checkout, a whole team of people arrived to clean the room for guests that I presume were arriving later that day. My wife wanted to use the bathroom, but there are only sliding doors to the bathroom (which were broken in our room) and the toilet itself is enclosed by a glass door. She didn't feel comfortable. If we were checking out late, I could understand them needing to get into the room right away to clean it. But it was 9 AM. They should have just picked up the bags and left. Last complaint, and this is very small, but as it was our honeymoon, I thought it would have been nice if they gave us a bottle of champagne or a few massages. We stayed there 6 nights. Instead, they gave us two free glasses of sparkling wine. The two other hotels we stayed at gave us at least two free massages and in the case of one of the hotels, a gift bag upon checkout. Like I said, it's a small complaint but I thought it would have been nice. Overall, a great property that we have fond memories of and would recommend to anyone traveling to Ubud.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sam B
Dear Sam B,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for sharing your experience.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, restaurants, pool area, our COMO Shambhala retreat as well as our cuisine. We are particularly happy to know that you found our team extremely friendly.

I am saddened to learn that our young travellers affected your special time with us. We will find a way to ensure our guests have the most tranquility time at Uma both for couples and families. Mostly our guests are couples and sometimes we do have a family or two. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. It suprised me as it is very unlikely how our team usually handles the situation. I believe it should be handled in a better way. I will write to you personally should there be any new update, in the meantime, unfortunately after thorough search we still couldn't find the shoes.

Thank you for your constructive feedback from which we will learn for future improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Uma was our first experience with Como Hotel chain, while it takes a while to get to Ubud (about 1 hr) it is worth it. The hotel is in the middle of Ubud, the capital of arts In Bali, complementary shuttle service to the center of Ubud leaves the premises every 15 minutes, where you can take a short walk to the monkey forrest or the main market.
While this hotel is beautiful its most surprising features are their spa treatments ( a bit expensive but totally worth it, specially in the couples cabin) and its food (everything we tried was outstanding don't forget to try their coffee)!!
Service was great, everyone was super friendly and they learned our names rather quickly, making the feel of the hotel very personal and exclusive. On our second day we hired a tour at the hotel which provided us with a lifetime experience going well beyond the line of duty taking us to their local ogoh ogoh anual festival, this memory will last forever.
The only con was that the first days there were to many kids in the common area to our taste, however we guess this depends on which season you are visiting.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room that is in the "new section" that is located near the spa and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Jose C,

First of all, Congratulations! and thank you for spending your honeymoon with us, we are happy that we can be part of your celebration.

Uma is indeed blessed by its location, very accesible from most interesting places in Ubud but at the same time secluded between the Wos River valley and lush green gardens. You are very fortunate that you were in Bali while we were celebrating our Saka Calender new year and able to witness the Ogoh Ogoh festival. I am glad that you enjoyed your special occassion with us.

We look foward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.

Gede Suteja