“Great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Kingston, Canada
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at this hotel. It is a beautiful retreat amidst all the hustle and bustle of Ubud. The property is thoughtfully designed and builds beautiful Balinese elements. Our stroll across the koi pond to our room was beautiful. The pool area is lovely and the pool is long enough to do a fitness a swim in it. The hotel has a number of scheduled activities such as complimentary yoga twice a day, a hike, and bicycle tours. Breakfast is fantastic. The chef has included a great variety of foods that please both western palettes and there are also tasty Indonesian dishes to try as well. Dinner at the hotel's Italian restaurant was disappointing and expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Francine6406,

Thank you for staying with us at Uma.

We are very proud on how Uma respects the Balinese elements and blend them with the modern design. I am glad that you felt these beatiful elements and at the same time enjoyed the experiences Uma had to offer, from the Koi pond to the large swimming pool, as well as the activities. Despite you enjoyed our food so much at breakfast time, unfortunately we could not meet your expectation on your dinner experience at our Italian Restaurant. Thank your for sharing your feedback for our improvement.

Gede Suteja
Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights on my honeymoon and it was amazing. The grounds are stunning, the bedroom is beautiful and the facilities are excellent. The staff are super efficient & most pleasant. On arrival we were given a welcome drinks and chocolates. The room was huge as was the bathroom and we had our own private garden. The pool area was beautiful & peaceful. We also had spa treatments here and while they are a little expensive they are worth it!
The breakfast staff were brilliant and the range of food available was great- I would highly recommend the vanilla spiced french toast- YUM!!!
Overall, we had an amazing experience and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear EmilyM2,

Thank you for staying at Uma. I am glad that you had an amazing honeymoon with us.

We are happy that Uma could be part of your celebration. It is a pleasure to read your very postive comments and it is most delightful to know that our team is the highlight of your overal experience.

I trust that we will meet again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Gede Suteja
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Too many gushing reviews for this hotel - if you're fortunate enough to travel to nice hotels throughout Asia, you will not be screaming 'best hotel' etc. when you leave here, so I think it will be most useful to moderate the expectations of those looking to visit who are driven by great service.

We stayed in the base Terrace room (it looked more bright and scenic than the 'garden' room in the photos, and I was too cheap to go for a pool villa etc.)

The good:

- I like the location (far enough from the overrun Monkey Forest Rd to easily head out and do some local exploring, close enough to easily get to any top-ten-tripadvisor stuff if necessary)
- Excellent breakfast and breakfast staff
- Nice pool
- Pleasant and modern decor, the property doesn't feel aged/ageing

The not so good:

- Really well-run brands (such as GHM's Chedi) don't up-sell you, where as here we got it from the very start. Literally at check-in it was recommendations of activities, the hotel restaurant, 3-for-2 martini hour at the pool etc., and that was by a hotel manager type, which means this kind of thing flowed down from the top the whole time we were there. On check-out, the girl on reception (who was lovely, like most Balinese, and just doing what she was told) said, 'Please recommend our hotel to your family and friends' - if I like a hotel, I don't need to be told to tell people about it. All of this detracts from the experience from my perspective. I'd much rather pay higher prices for the hotel room and not be scalped on the price of everything from scooter hire (50% higher than direct) to ice cream (US$6 per scoop plus tax). A hotel shouldn't have to pester its guests for extras to make ends meet.
- The room isn't designed too well. While the bathroom is spacious enough, the space is not used well, with a single-basin vanity and exposed WC
- The four-post bed (while I understand convenient for mosquito nets) encroaches on the room and rids it of the feeling of space
- While the room's terrace area is large, it's not private - your neighbours will be able to see you if they are more than a metre or so out from their glass doors
- They've put two arm chairs on the room terrace, a day bed would be far more useful - as a couple we would prefer to curl up and chill together then be pointed to the view, a metre apart by two armchairs
- If you're an early riser and a heavy pool user, you'll be frustrated by the time it takes pool staff to set up the pool chairs in the morning (maybe 45mins after it opens) and by the level of pool service. Don't expect towels and a glass of water to come without walking to the bar and requesting them - the pool is run/staffed like a food and beverage destination rather than a free amenity.

The thing that annoyed me and probably helped set the slightly-harsh tone of this review is that from the beginning I commented that my room was too small for my liking and that I was interested in a bigger one (certainly not for free, I'm thrifty but I don't expect something for nothing). I was told the hotel was quite full, we'll see what we could do etc. and nothing ever got done. This was really silly, as I didn't get to experience what the other rooms were like and thus I'm very reluctant to go back because I didn't like the entry-level room. Even when we paid US$100 for a late check-out (again, happily - not being a whining cheapo), we were shifted into the same room type only about an extra 100 steps or so further from the lobby - really dumb, instant let-down. Now the manager may reply and say the hotel was busy, but on day one he told me that other rooms were available on the third night of our three night stay but just never gave us any options, even though he new from my response I was disheartened by the small room. To not give us the option of taking a better room on night three and for our late check out was a really poor marketing/customer relations exercise.

So it's a nice hotel and it has the right elements to become something really pleasurable, but it's not run in a way that will have you gushing over the level of service, which is a shame - because it's beautifully set and has a lot going for it.

Room Tip: If you like to impress your missus when she walks into a room, don't pick the base terrace room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Scott069
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Scott069,

Thank you so much for staying at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for taking your time to write a very valuable comments and feedback.

I am glad that our location, our breakfast and breakfast team, the pool as well as the decor of our room exceeded your expectation.

Your constructive feedback on the other hand is highly appreciated. I sincerely apologize if our good intention in sharing our activity information and other services that we offered at Uma was perceived as upselling. By sharing information and recommendations we hoped that our guests would be able to get the best out of what Ubud/Bali could offer.

We were indeed running at full occupancy over the period of your stay, hence with much regret we could not give you much options for a larger room. I am saddened that the situation was not handled in the most efficient manner.

We will learn from your feedback to ensure that we keep improving.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to meet all of your expectations.

Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

When I think back about this hotel, two things come directly to my mind: amazing staff and high quality.

We travelled the world and have seen nicer pools, bigger gardens and rooms, better views, but NOWHERE else have we seen such an amazing staff! Welcoming, smiling, attentive... Balinese are naturally very friendly and warm people and the staff at UMA made us feel welcome, special, really among friends.The exceptional staff is the hotel's greatest asset, without a doubt. This is the fourth hotel we stayed in Bali and its amazing staff far exceeds the staff of any other hotel we have ever stayed in. Sika gave us very useful info on how to plan our sightseeing trips around Ubud (as we drove our own rented car, it was indeed useful to know which roads to take).

Everything was extremely high quality: furniture, food, toiletries. It is a very small hotel (it has less than 50 rooms I think) and it's the closest to the Balinese lifestyle we have seen: nicely placed on a hill with lush vegetation, you are "emerged" in nature, while benefiting of all modern amenities: air con, internet...

While some reviewers complained about being surrounded by too many screaming children, we had the opposite problem: there were almost no kids when we were there and our 7, y.o found the swimming pool boring (and very small). There were mainly couples, there was a very calm environment, so he didn't actually have company to play with in the pool...The hotel has no activities for children, no club and is mainly suitable for couples. I wouldn't recommend extended stays for families with children as the kids will get bored quickly among adults and with no entertainment (unless your kids enjoy listening to chirping birds and sunbathing silently).

This hotel however was the highlight of our stay which included other 5-star hotels similarly priced in Nusa Dua and Tanah Lot area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank anda_holland
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear anda_holland,

Thank you so much for such motivating reviews for our team, you are among so many to remind us that our team is our greatest asset.

We are delighted that our team has exceeded your expectation. I agree with you that we have advantages due to our beautiful size which very much make us emerge naturally with our surrounding nature.

Your comment on our "young travellers" are very well noted. We always want our guests to feel the tranquality of the place. We do our utmost best to keep the ballance between the peacefulness for our couple guests and fun time for our guests travelling with family.

I will share your lovely review to all of our team.

Thank you for staying with us and we trust that we will see you and family again in a very near future.

Very best regards,

Resort manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We went to Uma for part of our honeymoon. The hotel is exquisite! Beautiful rooms, pool, delicious breakfast and it's very well located close to restaurants and a short taxi ride to the centre.
Staff very friendly -they all knew our names which was a nice touch, we will never forget our stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Erika M,

It is a pleasure knowing that Uma by COMO, Ubud can be part of a special moment in your life. Thank you for choosing Uma to celebrate your honeymoon.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. It means a lot to know that you found our team very friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully very soon.

Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've stayed in hotels all around the world and this has been the best experience I've had. The hotel is spotlessly clean and thoroughly modern, whilst still exhibiting all the charms of the Balinese lifestyle. The room was large and well equipped, with huge doors opening onto a very peaceful verandah. Here on the verandah you could lay on the daybed, or sit at any time day or night and enjoy the peace whilst listening to the birds sing. The bed was extremely comfortable and provided me with a great sleep every night. The bathroom is huge and extremely well equipped and stocked with high quality toiletries. The freestanding bath was an absolute pleasure and to be able to soak in it whilst sipping on a cocktail and enjoying the garden outside the window was amazing. The open air shower was a real treat and provided you with a real tropical experience. The amenities at the hotel are first class, from the restaurants, to the bar, to the spa, and the pool and the gardens, all of a very high standard. As good as this hotel is, it is still only as good as its staff and this is the area that the hotel far exceeds others on. This is not my first visit to Bali and not my first experience with Bali hotel staff. I can say that the staff here are the hotel's best asset. The staff are genuinely friendly and happy people, who not only know your name but who treat you as if you are one of the family. Every day there were the same familiar faces welcoming you, people who genuinely were interested in you and cared for you and who were pleased to see you, a hotel or a guest could not ask for more. It is not only a reflection of the character of the staff, but also of a supporting and caring management who value their staff. Thank you doesn't seem enough, but until we meet again selamat tingaal . . .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Jenny C,

We are very humble to read that your stay at Uma by COMO, Ubud has been your best hotel experience. Thank you for posting such a wonderful review.

You described Uma in the best possible way and leave me nothing to say but "thank you". Our most delight is to know that you were taken care by our team with happy and genuine service. Yes, our team is indeed our best asset.

I trust that we will meet again, we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.

Warmest regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We went to Uma last month for our honeymoon. It was an excellent experience, amazing & unique customer service, staff are so friendly & helping. Food is also great. The pool villa was comfortably private with fantastic view and high cleanliness. Recommended for honeymooners.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Haithamkhattab
Dear Haithamkhattab,

Congratulations once again and thank you for having chosen to celebrate your honeymoon at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

We truly appreciate your very positive reviews of your latest stay with us. We are delighted to read that you had an excellent experience. Thank you for recommeding Uma for travellers who might planning their honeymoon to Bali.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma soon.