“Good, but not as good as reviews suggest.”
Review of COMO Uma Ubud

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #12 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 30 June 2014

stayed for three nights in June 2014 as part of far east honeymoon tour.

After 3 nights in KL we were looking forward to a more rural and relaxing location. The flight between KL and Denpasar was truly awful (very turbulent the whole way) which only increased our want for relaxation.

Upon check in we were greeted by the friendly staff and the hotel manager. Our room was not quite ready so we were taken for a tasty welcome drink. My first impression of the hotel was very good as the grounds and pool area are extremely nice.

After a short delay we were taken to our room (pool suite) which was nice but not as nice as I expected. The room itself lacks a seating area to watch tv, the only indoor seating is in the office style room which is not really a place you would sit in at night to relax. The seating area outside to the front of the room was much better for evening drinks.

The pool and private area to the back was a bit on the disappointing side. Pool is in the shade nearly all the time and was very, very cold. I did use it (was a bit of a shock to system getting in, but after a while you did get used to the cold) however I could see how some people would not be able to use it. That kind of defeats purpose in having it and paying for the room grade. Although the area was private in terms of nobody seeing you it was not the rural secluded quiet spot I hoped for. Between screaming kids next door and loud motorbikes/construction happening in property next door it was not as relaxing as I hoped for.

We never used the main pool as it was either busy or there were some unruly children shattering the peace. Hotel is really not one for kids and should be adults only. I was disgusted to see some kids trying to kill the lizards that are everywhere. Thankfully they were too quick for the brats (I realise how that makes me sound). I suppose the kids were bored as its really not a hotel for them.

The other issue with the pool suite is the shower and toilet. There is no privacy as door from shower and toilet is glass into the bathroom. It is in an alcove and technically outside as there is no door separating this alcove from the outside world. This might not bother some, or indeed some may even like this but I did not. I prefer to poo in private with out having to worry about being visited by insects etc. I dreaded visits to the loo in the middle of the night, however in fairness other than mossies and large ants we were lucky. I did in the end quite like the shower being open to the world, but I really think the hotel should think again and give people the option by fixing in a door which could be opened/closed to guests choice.

The bed was fantastic and the mossie net was very useful. Myself and my wife had good sleeps. The rest of the room was nice, however it lacked any kind of luxury feel.

The breakfasts in hotel are top notch. Best French toast I have ever had, fantastic fresh from the fruit juices and I am now a big fan of eggs benedict. Bali coffee served was also very good indeed.

We had lunch on first day, club style sandwich was very good. We also ate at pool bar at night, spring rolls and steamed roll were truly amazing, the nasi goreng was tasty however our dinner was gate crashed by a shrew (mouse/rat like creature) who must have fancied some too. In fairness there probably is not a lot hotel can do about that.

The best thing about hotel was the staff who were friendly and helpful. There were a few moments of miss understanding/communication but they were easily overcome by the friendly and relaxed nature of it all. Some of the staff even addressed me by my first name (they seemed to know it, they hadn't asked) which was a very nice touch. Definite 10/10 for the staff.

We managed to miss the hotel shuttle in ubud but there are plenty of locals waiting outside only too happy to act as unofficial taxis for very little money. Outside the hotel there are several local warung which were cheap and very good indeed. There is a excellent bintang supermarket less than 10 minutes walk away.

We arranged a tour through bali adventure tours for a day to visit monkey forrest (brilliant, if you like the monkeys), mount batur (nice scenery ruined by the most persistent annoying vendors you will find anywhere in the world), tira empul (worth visit), rice terraces, luak coffee plantation and gunung kawi (big let down, they are rebuilding temple, old part impressive but limited). So we felt it was a good base to explore area. I think the location outside ubuds main town is better than in town (too busy).

Overall I like hotel, staff were great, food was very good, grounds are pretty but the pool suite was not as good as I hoped for. Good hotel but not a great hotel. Two tips for the management, make hotel adults only (you will gain more customers than you lose) and put screens/doors to seal off toilet from the outside world.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank coconut-monkey09
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear coconut-monkey09,

First of all, please allow me to congratulate you once more for your very special honeymoon and thank you for letting us being part of the celebration.

I am very much grateful to read that you enjoyed most elements of your stay; our friendly and helpful team, very good quality of sleep, excellent breakfast as well as our activities. However we are saddened to learn that our Pool Suite did not meet your expectation. Your constructive comments are highly appreciated and we will look into it for future improvement.

Thank you once again, and hope to have a chance to welcoming you back to Uma in future.

There are newer reviews for COMO Uma Ubud

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I travelled with my daughter and spent 2 nights at the hotel. I found it surprising that the staff recognized each one of us by name. We booked a water garden room which was absolutely amazing, comfortable beds, great TV, room size is great. With a small patio, a pond with water lilies and fishes, they leave you a nice candle you can lit at night while you relax in your own patio. the bathroom is huge, but if you feel uncomfortable walking across the patio at night you must book some other room. With a beautiful bathtub covered by a mosquito net , a great outdoor shower. What I found really funny and excentric is the fact that also the toilet is located with a position where you can actually see the sky.
The pool bar is great for lunch or dinner and the food quality is excelent. But do not expect too much from the staff. We had only 45 minutes left before going to the airport so we ordered a small snack. 30 minutes later we were still waiting for our lunch and the staff just standing there by the bar paralized not knowing what to do. We left after 45 minutes with no food and 2 hours driving to the airport.
The spa is a must , the staff is experienced and efficient and the place is absolutely relaxing. They also have daily yoga lessons and other activities. Excellent breakfast.
Overall it was a great experience that unfortunately ended with a bad lunch service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Debora N,

It was a delight to have you and your daughter staying with us recently and thank you for sharing your very positive and contructive feedback to us.

I am grateful to read that you enjoyed our room, breakfast, spa as well as our yoga class. Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had at our Pool Bar on your last lunch. It was very unfortunate that the food that we had prepared for you came late to the pool bar due to unforeseen situation and our team should be able to communicate the situation and presented you with options. Once we heard the incident after your departure we discussed the issue with our cuisine team and trainings have been conducted to ensure the same incident will not happen again.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My daughter and I came to Uma by Como for 4 nights rest and relaxation. We got R&R but we got a whole lot more too - superb service, magnificent accommodation, and staff who not only address you by name but will go out of their way to make sure your Uma experience is a pleasure.

We booked two Water Garden rooms which are middle of the road on the pricing scale but to me (and I've stayed in some lovely places) the room(s) we're gorgeous.the photos on the website are 100% true to form.

You have 2 or 3 dining options within Uma but outside the front gate of the hotel (which has 24 hour security) you have numerous restaurants within 200m.

All in all this has cemented a desire to return to Bali. The spa treatments (we had 4 included in our package) were the best I've ever had.

I sound as though I'm gushing .... But I love this place.

Room Tip: Water garden rooms have a huge bedroom and totally indulgent bathroom separated by an open air koi p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sarah A,

I could not thank you enough for such a wonderful review.

I am very happy to read that you got a whole lot more than your initial goal to just rest and relax with your lovely daughter. It is wonderful that you got a magnificant room and the best spa treatment that you have ever had, but more importantly we are grateful that you found our team provided you with excellent service.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma for your next R&R.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here with my husband for a few days in August 2013 as part of our honeymoon. We stayed in a Water Garden Room which was lovely. The room had a huge comfortable bed surrounded by a very handy mosquito net (don't be tempted to sleep without it drawn around the bed!!). The bathroom was fantastic, the stuff dreams are made of, with an amazing open air section.
The facilities are lovely, they have a real chic feel to them. The spa was amazing, one of the best facials I've ever had. The food was lovely, breakfast every morning was a real treat and we had dinner in the restaurant twice which was very tasty. I thoroughly recommend one of the guided morning walks too, I lovely way to start the day. The staff are all lovely.
It is a bit of a walk from the centre of Ubud but the daily shuttle (it runs regularly until about 5pm) is complimentary and if you want to spend the evening in Ubud a taxi back is not expensive.
I actually enjoyed being a bit further out from the hustle and bustle of Ubud.
Uma is not cheap, if you want cheaper there are countless other options in Ubud, but it is exceptional. Its an amazing place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ruth-Herts,

Thank you for staying at Uma Ubud to celebrate your honeymoon.

We are delighted that Uma can be part of your wonderful celebration. To be able to provide you with special services in your very special occasion is indeed a pleasure. I am glad that you loved our Water Garden Room and you enjoyed our facilities, food as well as our activities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I loved this hotel - small and with atmosphere. We were upgraded to a Water Garden Room which was gorgeous.
Bedroom: clean, spacious with mosquito nets (a definite must). Very comfortable beds and excellent sleep quality.
Bathroom: spacious and clean with good shower
Spa: fantastic
Breakfast: excellent. Buffet plus hot options
Pool: only downside is that the pool is busy and may be not quite large enough to accommodate the number of guests
Location: about a 30 min walk into town but hotel has a free shuttle bus and inexpensive taxis service

I would highly recommend staying here. We didn't try the restaurants so can't comment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank finnishbird

Dear finishbird,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma by COMO, Ubud and your very positive review is highly appreciated by all Uma team.

It is a pleasure to know that we exceeded your expectation in most elements of your stay at Uma. I am glad that you loved our Water Garden Room and found it clean and spacious. Our COMO Shambhala spa has been always the highlight of our guest's experiences as well as our healthy options breakfast.

Thank you for recommending Uma Ubud to all readers and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here after seeng good value vs. Hanging Gardens, Chedi and Samaya, and the aforementioned being full. Although I'm sure all are great, Uma was a good balance of location (edge of town, top of a hill, near a top-ranked offsite day spa and several high end restaurants), price, (3/4 - 2/3rd of aforementioned when we booked), and had a really spectacular yoga platform (free daily yoga lesson a big plus) and very chill pool. Slow hotel bar was fine by us, as this was a big time relaxation segment of our trip.

One note, the mosquito netting somewhat cosmetic, and when we were there that's all it really needed to be. While there are a few buzzing around the facility, none really made it to the room. Have slept in some places that really required netting fully preventing penetration, I def. wouldn't put Ubud in that category.

We got a room with a little grassy yard facing the ravine, and waking up I really felt like I was in the jungle. Staff was very professional. The breakfast was excellent served in a serene, lush garden, and both restaurants on site were tasty (one Italian). Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: All were good, upgrades bring proximity to ravine/jungle and size. Lower priced rooms were newer, i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve R,

We are delighted to know that you had a peaceful and great honeymoon with us.

Uma is indeed located perfectly to give you the balance between the accesibility to Ubud town with its options of museums, restaurants, market and temples, with the tranquality of lush gardens, jungles and river valley.

I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at Uma, and I am particularly grateful that you found our team very professional.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I amended my accommodation choice from another property near Ubud to Uma by Como about a month before my holiday to Bali because Uma is a bit closer to town...I am so glad I changed the booking. Uma was lovely. I travelled alone and felt absolutely comfortable moving around the resort, using any and all of the area (I used the pool, spa, gym, ate breakfast in the restaurant and lunch by the pool and at the pool bar). I went on the morning walk which was great and also attended a very good (and challenging) yoga class, both complimentary option inclusions. Breakfast was excellent (especially the nut and seed flatbread with cashew hummus, tomato, avocado and rocket) and very filling. The two light meals I had from the pool bar were also very good and I was sorry I did not get a chance to have a dinner at the resort but I wanted to try Restaurant Locavore in Ubud (see my review). My garden suite was lovely and I found the rustic plantings gave me lovely privacy. You wouldn't see the neighbours unless they or you were in the garden section, so this was not an issue. It was extremely peaceful sitting on my lanai with a book and I really appreciated the mosquito coils conveniently left in the suite as well as the plug in repellent as I am a mozzie magnet. All in all, my Seminyak accommodation had no hope of living up to the standard set by Uma and I wished I had spent more time at Uma, but I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Kittykat22,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma and I am glad that your choice is the right one.

I am happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy the range of activities that we offered. It is great to know that as a single traveller you felt comfortable being in the resort and our team was able to cater your needs. Our healthy option breakfast is indeed one of our highlights, unfortunately you didn't have a chance to dine at our Uma Cucina, leave it for your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With best regards,