“A truely memorable stay”
Review of COMO Uma Ubud

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #13 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Taipei, Taiwan
“A truely memorable stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

When I recall the wonderful memories of my recent stay at Uma with my family, I know it is only fair for me to write a review and recommend the hotel to all future visitors to Bali. Even though I've searched extensively for hotel options before my visit and have a basic idea of how the hotel would be like, I was still pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and chic yet welcoming ambiance upon arrival. Me and my family stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, first in one of the pool suite then a lovely terrace room. Both rooms were divine: bright and spacious, designed to understated perfection, yet remained intimate with a touch of, home.

With all the wonderful reviews here about the hotel's beauty, welcoming staff and excellent food, I want to focus on a more personal level. On our second day in Ubud, my family had a rather daring motorbike trip to the Jatiluwih rice terraces. Though the journey itself was absolutely beautiful (due to less than ideal road and traffic conditions, I sincerely suggest hiring a vehicle instead of a motorbike), almost inevitably, we had a accident on our way back to Ubud. With the generous help from a group of balinese people, we contacted the hotel, and after initial assessment at a clinic in Ubud, were referred to a hospital in the capital for further wound treatment. The whole process took more than 8 hours, during the entire time, we had help and company from the hotel, Mr. Degi, who was ever so gentle and patient. On the following morning, the entire staff took extra care to my family and offered to help in many ways. Through this unfortunate event, I experienced what was truly top notch service.

Although our stay in Ubud turned out chaotic, far from what I had in mind a tranquil search for inner peace, it really ended in a good and memorable way, one that me and my family could laugh about in the future, all with the help from the entire hotel team. Now that we've returned to Taiwan, my family is recovering well. I believe a great hotel, besides providing the best quality service, world class comfort, style and gastronomic pleasure, is one that offers sincere friendship and helps create invaluable memories among loved ones. With this review, I want to recommend Uma to all of you, and thank the entire hotel team again. Hope to see you all soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Poshu_Wu,

Thank you for your touching review.

I am happy to know that you had a truly memorable stay with us at Uma and enjoyed your time in Bali despite of the unfortunate motorbike incident on your way from Jatiluwih to Ubud. We are most grateful knowing that you are recovering and we are all wishing you speedy recovery. We are very humble to read that you felt our team had taken care of you and family during the unfortunate situation. I will personally passed your comments to Mr. Degi and thanked him.

We hope to see you and family again in future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for five nights as part of our honeymoon. Our 'water garden' room was the nicest hotel room we have ever stayed in, with private water garden (including resident frog), and an amazingly large bathroom which was open to the skies. All staff were incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful. Breakfast was really good and there were options to suit all tastes. A short taxi ride to the centre of Ubud, no hassle at all. Loved it.

Dear discerningdinerliv,

Thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us and we are happy could be part of the celebration.

It is a delight to know that your honeymoon was a wonderful one and we are particularly pleased that you found our team were incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

With very best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our honeymoon in June.

Room: fresh and airy, spacious with a beautiful bathroom and terrace with a good view! It felt quite romantic with its four poster bed!

Spa: great menu and quite good prices in comparison with other hotels in Bali. Complimentary yoga 10 times a week, and you do it overlooking a beautiful valley!

Breakfast: our opinions were a little divided on this, I loved breakfast with its healthy menu, beautiful yoghurts etc, my husband found it a little limited but they did accommodate special requests. When my husband was sick they were fantastic supplying porridge, toast, ginger tea and coconut water.

Dinner: lovely Italian and pool bar with limited Indonesian menu, I would prefer more local cuisine to choose from, but in ubud there are plenty choices of local restaurants to choose from with naughty nurris being across the road!

Staff were very helpful and not overbearing, I think they respect your space but are attentive and have excellent English.

Overall it was a fantastic hotel and I wouldn't hesitate yo recommend!

Dear EBH82,

We were delighted to be part of your special celebration and congratulations once again...

Thank you for choosing Uma to celebrate your honeymoon and I am grateful that you had a great time. I am glad that you loved our room, the COMO Shambhala spa, yoga class as well as our cuisine both at Kemiri during your breakfast and Uma Cucina.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

With kind regards,

singapore
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Many reviewers have raved about this hotel. I think it's a nice hotel for the price you pay (not astronomical like some), but could be better.

Location – Good base to explore Ubud. The hotel is a short free shuttle into town, but it only operates till 5pm. Note that shuttles are not every hour. If you miss it, there are tons of taxi services. We walked back from Ubud town to hotel one night and would not recommend doing it. At least 30 minute uphill and downhill walk on uneven pavement, almost pitch darkness at some places (no wonder the hotel mentioned bringing the torch out at night).

Plenty of little eating joints (including the famous Naughty Nuri’s) and spas just on the street outside the hotel. It’s a 1.5 hour ride from the airport. Similarly far from Jimbaran.

Room – The terrace room was like a villa and private. Room had nice large sunken bath tub with extendable shower head, and a separate outdoor shower. Did not use the outdoor shower due to bugs. Otherwise thoughtful touches like a straw bag to put your belongings on outings to the pool, yoga mat in room. For a hotel of this standing though, it’s surprising there’s no toothbrush, comb or razor in the room.

Despite the electric mosquito zapper, there were a few mosquitoes in the room. The netting around the bed was useful, though we were also armed with mosquito patches.

Free bottles of drinking water available in the room. There was some fruit too on a plate, but we never got to eating it.

My main complaint is the ceiling fan. It had to be turned on as the air conditioning alone did not provide enough cool comfort or circulation. But the fan is pretty noisy and even though I tried turning it down to the lowest mode (without turning it off), it rattled this light sleeper. Thank goodness for my ear plugs. Pillows were too soft too.

Service and activities – The hotel was full (so said the staff) but you never feel crowded. Tranquil and peaceful. We were served welcome drinks in our room, nice touch. All the staff we met were very polite and spoke good English, though there were a couple of misunderstandings (e.g. one coconut juice and one pineapple juice became two pineapple juices). Very helpful with transport, spa and restaurant bookings. We went on the morning paddy field walk, which was interesting. The guide was informative and helpful. Definitely recommend going on this. Check the activity schedule; morning yoga does not take place everyday.

Pool - The pool area was nice for relaxing, but the pool itself was way too cold. While it's not a large area, we could find deck chairs easily.

Breakfast and meals – Breakfast was fantastic! There is a cold selection of cereal, breads, pastries, fruit and yogurt. There is also a hot breakfast where you choose eggs, nasi lemak, French toast, pancakes etc. There are also healthier alternatives like egg white omelette. Absolutely scrumptious! Also had takeaway pizza and a burger - pretty decent food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Juzatourist,

Thank you for staying with us at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for sharing your very positive comments as well as your contrsuctive feedback.

We are delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed your room, the pool, breakfast and particularly the service from our team. Your constructive comments on our ceiling fan and our pillow being too soft are very well noted and appreciated. We do actually have options of pillows for guests who prefer certain firmness or softness. My sincere apologies that it was not being communicated with you, otherwise we should have anticipated your preference.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon! We went on the early morning rice paddy walk which was interesting and we had a good guide! We also took the free shuttle into ubud! We enjoyed the cocktails and had lunch by the pool!

We would recommend the hotel.

Dear Heather B,

It is a pleasure for Uma by COMO, Ubud team can be part of your special celebration - congratulations once again.

I am glad that you had a relaxing honeymoon and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May. We arrived at the hotel in the early hours on Saturday morning and were shown to our room straightaway. Te following morning we went on the volcano and temple tour which was very interesting.

There is also a bus into town so you can easily explore for yourself if you do not want to do an organised trip. There are also morning walks around the rice fields, however watch out for insect bites!

The food and particularly the breakfast is really good. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast each days.

They have a really nice bar area by the pool and the pool was not too busy when we were there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Aecd1,

Thank you so much for staying at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for sharing your experience with all readers.

We are happy that you had a great 4 nights stay with us and enjoyed all elements of your stay. It is great to know that you had the opportunity to explore Ubud and surrounding with its culture and tradition.

I trust that we will meet you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We love this place and we will definitely be back again. The service was amazing. Loved the food and the bar! The room was brilliant, with a private infinity pool looking out over the jungle! We had two small children with us and the menu was good for them, they loved the pool and the staff were great with them. There wasn't heaps to do with the kids there at the hotel but we relaxed and took a trip to the elephant park which they loved. They were obsessed with the fish and got to feed them at breakfast every morning. Highly recommend a massage at the spa there. It rained two out of the four days we were there but we didn't mind at all. Heavenly!!!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Rebeccathewoodp...,

I could not thank you enough for such a great review on your stay experience with us at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

We are delighted to know that you and family had a great time together. I am happy that you enjoyed our Pool Villa, the spa and you had a chance to explore Bali with your children.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma very soon.