“Superb”

Ranked #12 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Superb”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Uma by Como was perfection. The staff were wonderful and the room was beautiful. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Best of all was the breakfast every morning! Delicious. If you love yoga, you will love the yoga room, it has the most wonderful view and so peaceful. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EllieTheRetriever
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear EllieTheRetriever,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to share your experience at Uma.

We are excited to know that you loved all aspects of your stay and we are particularly happy that our team have exceeded your expactation. Yoga is indeed one of our highlight among other great wellness experiences we offered at COMP Shambhala spa.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The experiences starts when you disembark- with the Greeter who
whisks you through Visa & Security in the blink of an eye- then the Uma Car and charming driver starts you on The Uma journey..
The stunning serenity of this beautiful property strikes you the moment
get out of the car- with smiling staff and a delightful `Open Air Reception'
Check in is swift- and before we knew it- we open the doors to our superb 1bedroom Pool Villa- offering a breathtaking view over the river-valley- and you just automatically start to relax. Our divine villa is tucked behind its own private doors- and every inch of the villa just oozes a soothing chic style. The property is a bit further out than I'd imagined but
that is what is so appealing!! Just `far enough' away from the crowds of now-busy bustling MonkeyForest Road- Uma welcomes you back to its calm & peace. If you miss the free shuttle - its about $ 2.00 to make your way back to the Resort in your own time. The `public' pool for those who dont have the luxury of their own plunge-pool' occupies the main area beyond Reception- and the open terrace Bar and deck area is most inviting- morning noon & night! The relax area- with comfy couches, books & mags , games boards ( close to the Bar) is a great place which many guests obviously took good advantage of! On the first night, we sampled their newest dining addition- the stunning Uma Cucina! Divine romantic setting and wonderful Italian-inspired menu- with the Chef's personal `twist' in some dishes- which absolutely WOW the taste-buds! Breakfast is a couple of levels `down' from the main area-in a gorgeous open-air setting overlooking water fountains & Gold fish pond ( the staff provide bread for you to feed the fish and watch the feeding frenzy! Breakfast had a surprisingly extensive menu- from the mouth watering to the healthy options ( also deceptively yummy!!) it was just the best way to start the day!!. Resorty is complete with Spa & Beauty salon and The Gym- UMA by Como is just a noteworthy & unique resort that really encompasses the serenity Ubud is loved for.
So- what else makes this resort a `cut above the rest- are the staff!
Always smiling- even the gardeners turn to greet you as you walk-on-by..!! From front desk reception - who always `welcome you back ( even if you just `popped across the road to grab a few snacks & Bintangs to relax by our plunge pool)- to all of the eateries staff- everyone just seems to be on stand-by to ensure any need is met!
I wandered around the property one afternoon and was staggered how large it actually was- with Villas tucked away all up & down the valley-side. The Pool Villas have the absolute best views over the valley- all the rooms are spacious airy and `just divine'
UMA by COMO- as a 30year Travel consultant ( who always like to stay somewhere different to any repeat destination-visits) I am promising ` I`ll be back!! and sooner rather than later. Everything here was beyond reproach. HONEYMOONERS- if you are considering UBUD as your 1st stop in Bali- dont go anywhere else- UMA by COMO is the perfect way to start a new beginning! To everyone else.. just go and leave with an A-mazing experience you wont forget!!
Traci Webb, Virtuoso Travel Advisor

Room Tip: HANG any small difference to have a Pool Villa! Ubud is usually a 3-4night stay- so this difference...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traci W
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Tracy W,

It was a pleasure having you staying with us at Uma recently and I could not thank you enough for sharing such a wonderful review.

We are delighted to read that your experiences at Uma from the start to the end were fantastic. I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am particularly grateful that you found Uma team as the most important element of the experience.

We are very humble to receive such a positive reviews from a seasoned travel consultant and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

With best regards,

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 8 July 2014

When I recall the wonderful memories of my recent stay at Uma with my family, I know it is only fair for me to write a review and recommend the hotel to all future visitors to Bali. Even though I've searched extensively for hotel options before my visit and have a basic idea of how the hotel would be like, I was still pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and chic yet welcoming ambiance upon arrival. Me and my family stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, first in one of the pool suite then a lovely terrace room. Both rooms were divine: bright and spacious, designed to understated perfection, yet remained intimate with a touch of, home.

With all the wonderful reviews here about the hotel's beauty, welcoming staff and excellent food, I want to focus on a more personal level. On our second day in Ubud, my family had a rather daring motorbike trip to the Jatiluwih rice terraces. Though the journey itself was absolutely beautiful (due to less than ideal road and traffic conditions, I sincerely suggest hiring a vehicle instead of a motorbike), almost inevitably, we had a accident on our way back to Ubud. With the generous help from a group of balinese people, we contacted the hotel, and after initial assessment at a clinic in Ubud, were referred to a hospital in the capital for further wound treatment. The whole process took more than 8 hours, during the entire time, we had help and company from the hotel, Mr. Degi, who was ever so gentle and patient. On the following morning, the entire staff took extra care to my family and offered to help in many ways. Through this unfortunate event, I experienced what was truly top notch service.

Although our stay in Ubud turned out chaotic, far from what I had in mind a tranquil search for inner peace, it really ended in a good and memorable way, one that me and my family could laugh about in the future, all with the help from the entire hotel team. Now that we've returned to Taiwan, my family is recovering well. I believe a great hotel, besides providing the best quality service, world class comfort, style and gastronomic pleasure, is one that offers sincere friendship and helps create invaluable memories among loved ones. With this review, I want to recommend Uma to all of you, and thank the entire hotel team again. Hope to see you all soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Poshu_Wu,

Thank you for your touching review.

I am happy to know that you had a truly memorable stay with us at Uma and enjoyed your time in Bali despite of the unfortunate motorbike incident on your way from Jatiluwih to Ubud. We are most grateful knowing that you are recovering and we are all wishing you speedy recovery. We are very humble to read that you felt our team had taken care of you and family during the unfortunate situation. I will personally passed your comments to Mr. Degi and thanked him.

We hope to see you and family again in future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for five nights as part of our honeymoon. Our 'water garden' room was the nicest hotel room we have ever stayed in, with private water garden (including resident frog), and an amazingly large bathroom which was open to the skies. All staff were incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful. Breakfast was really good and there were options to suit all tastes. A short taxi ride to the centre of Ubud, no hassle at all. Loved it.

Dear discerningdinerliv,

Thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us and we are happy could be part of the celebration.

It is a delight to know that your honeymoon was a wonderful one and we are particularly pleased that you found our team were incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

With very best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our honeymoon in June.

Room: fresh and airy, spacious with a beautiful bathroom and terrace with a good view! It felt quite romantic with its four poster bed!

Spa: great menu and quite good prices in comparison with other hotels in Bali. Complimentary yoga 10 times a week, and you do it overlooking a beautiful valley!

Breakfast: our opinions were a little divided on this, I loved breakfast with its healthy menu, beautiful yoghurts etc, my husband found it a little limited but they did accommodate special requests. When my husband was sick they were fantastic supplying porridge, toast, ginger tea and coconut water.

Dinner: lovely Italian and pool bar with limited Indonesian menu, I would prefer more local cuisine to choose from, but in ubud there are plenty choices of local restaurants to choose from with naughty nurris being across the road!

Staff were very helpful and not overbearing, I think they respect your space but are attentive and have excellent English.

Overall it was a fantastic hotel and I wouldn't hesitate yo recommend!

Dear EBH82,

We were delighted to be part of your special celebration and congratulations once again...

Thank you for choosing Uma to celebrate your honeymoon and I am grateful that you had a great time. I am glad that you loved our room, the COMO Shambhala spa, yoga class as well as our cuisine both at Kemiri during your breakfast and Uma Cucina.

With kind regards,

singapore
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Many reviewers have raved about this hotel. I think it's a nice hotel for the price you pay (not astronomical like some), but could be better.

Location – Good base to explore Ubud. The hotel is a short free shuttle into town, but it only operates till 5pm. Note that shuttles are not every hour. If you miss it, there are tons of taxi services. We walked back from Ubud town to hotel one night and would not recommend doing it. At least 30 minute uphill and downhill walk on uneven pavement, almost pitch darkness at some places (no wonder the hotel mentioned bringing the torch out at night).

Plenty of little eating joints (including the famous Naughty Nuri’s) and spas just on the street outside the hotel. It’s a 1.5 hour ride from the airport. Similarly far from Jimbaran.

Room – The terrace room was like a villa and private. Room had nice large sunken bath tub with extendable shower head, and a separate outdoor shower. Did not use the outdoor shower due to bugs. Otherwise thoughtful touches like a straw bag to put your belongings on outings to the pool, yoga mat in room. For a hotel of this standing though, it’s surprising there’s no toothbrush, comb or razor in the room.

Despite the electric mosquito zapper, there were a few mosquitoes in the room. The netting around the bed was useful, though we were also armed with mosquito patches.

Free bottles of drinking water available in the room. There was some fruit too on a plate, but we never got to eating it.

My main complaint is the ceiling fan. It had to be turned on as the air conditioning alone did not provide enough cool comfort or circulation. But the fan is pretty noisy and even though I tried turning it down to the lowest mode (without turning it off), it rattled this light sleeper. Thank goodness for my ear plugs. Pillows were too soft too.

Service and activities – The hotel was full (so said the staff) but you never feel crowded. Tranquil and peaceful. We were served welcome drinks in our room, nice touch. All the staff we met were very polite and spoke good English, though there were a couple of misunderstandings (e.g. one coconut juice and one pineapple juice became two pineapple juices). Very helpful with transport, spa and restaurant bookings. We went on the morning paddy field walk, which was interesting. The guide was informative and helpful. Definitely recommend going on this. Check the activity schedule; morning yoga does not take place everyday.

Pool - The pool area was nice for relaxing, but the pool itself was way too cold. While it's not a large area, we could find deck chairs easily.

Breakfast and meals – Breakfast was fantastic! There is a cold selection of cereal, breads, pastries, fruit and yogurt. There is also a hot breakfast where you choose eggs, nasi lemak, French toast, pancakes etc. There are also healthier alternatives like egg white omelette. Absolutely scrumptious! Also had takeaway pizza and a burger - pretty decent food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Juzatourist,

Thank you for staying with us at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for sharing your very positive comments as well as your contrsuctive feedback.

We are delighted that you had a great time and enjoyed your room, the pool, breakfast and particularly the service from our team. Your constructive comments on our ceiling fan and our pillow being too soft are very well noted and appreciated. We do actually have options of pillows for guests who prefer certain firmness or softness. My sincere apologies that it was not being communicated with you, otherwise we should have anticipated your preference.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon! We went on the early morning rice paddy walk which was interesting and we had a good guide! We also took the free shuttle into ubud! We enjoyed the cocktails and had lunch by the pool!

We would recommend the hotel.

Dear Heather B,

It is a pleasure for Uma by COMO, Ubud team can be part of your special celebration - congratulations once again.

I am glad that you had a relaxing honeymoon and you enjoyed your stay with us.