“Bespoke elegance”

Ranked #14 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
“Bespoke elegance”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Uma by COMO is the second COMO hotel that my wife and I have stayed; the first being the Cocoa Island Maldives. Both hotel gave us the same simplistic elegance and luxury that is the consistent theme in the Group's properties.

We stayed in the Garden Villa. It was spacious, private and tasteful. We enjoyed the space in between other Garden Villa on the properties however it did not have the valley view as offered by the Terrace Rooms; it is a personal choice.

The design of the property shows the thought that has been put in respecting the lush surrounding environment. It blends into the landscape without imposing its presence. The friendliness of the people who works on the ground is another memorable experience - attentive, helpful and genuine.

We liked the activities that the hotel offers like the morning rice field walk and the cycling tour. The guide was knowledgable and accommodating with special requests. One activity that no one should miss is the COMO Shambhala massage in the property. It remains one of the most memorable massages that we have had.

The hotel is well located near the town but not too close. There are also some nice eateries and galleries along the stretch of the road for different tastes. We have been recommended by the staff to some very nice eating places around the area so do feel free to ask them. While the hotel offers a complementary ride to town every two hours, I would like to see it more frequent to one hour so to give the guests more flexibility in planning their itinerary to town.

Overall it is a place one can leave the world behind and relax from the moment you arrive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tobeslo
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear tobelso,

It was a privillage to have COMO repeaters staying with us at Uma and we are grateful that we are consistent in meeting your expectation.

Uma was crafted with the same principle in design as all other COMO Hotels and Resorts around the world; understated and elegance with so much respect to local values and the surrounding nature. I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we are particularly excited to know that you found our team attentive, helpful and genuine.

We will share your wonderful review to all our team and we look foward to welcoming you back to Uma or to other COMO properties.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

As a frequent traveler that has stayed in some extraordinary places around the world it easy to get jaded. Driving up to Uma by Como there is no hint of a hotel or what is to come. What appears before you begins to impress with each interaction and step you take. As you arrive and are greeted by the open, smiling faced Balinese staff the graciousness and gentle spirits before you are what is first obvious. Then . . . as you enter the grounds to the pool with the Arbor greeting you with long beautiful tendrils of white hanging vines (Thunbergia Erecta) and proceed to paths and stairways well designed that open up to lush beautiful surroundings you arrive at your suite. Immediately upon entering you are smiling because of the clean, well designed and understated elegance that surrounds you. From the extraordinary peaked Balinese ceilings, to the lighting (that is all on dimmers)accenting the height and beauty of the workmanship, to the inviting white linen bed with mosquito netting . . . you know this is a place you want to stay and may not want to leave.
To arrive at our suite we had to descend about 60 stairs and as we rounded the first bend the natural beauty that opened before us was astounding. A gorge with a river that was clearly audible as we descended greeted each step closer. As we arrive at our suite an entry portal with Balinese doors opens to the door of a private dwelling that is the suite. Clean, white, air conditioned, ceiling fans, with natural woods . . .this exactly what I want to return to after a day touring in heat and humidity. Our private little yard had a beautiful, private plunge pool that looked into the gorge.
The food (we only had breakfast at the hotel which was part of the package) was always good, fruit, breads, eggs, etc all fresh, delicious and served with a smile.
There are activities and more to discover at Uma by Como but if I haven't enticed you yet then more information is fruitless. (no pun intended) If Ubud, Bali is your destination and you want to spoil yourself then Uma Como should be your pleasure.

Room Tip: Our suite was only one of several with a plunge pool and was at the lowest elevation, (I am not sure...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lee F
Dear Lee F,

I could't thank you enough for taking your time to write such a wonderful review.

We are grateful that you enjoyed every single element of your stay at Uma. Your writing about our resort really inspires us to ensure all our guests have a memorable experience. Our team is our biggest asset and we are delighted that you felt their graciousness.

Once again, thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Ubud as part of our honeymoon and stayed at Uma and it was fantastic. The reception gives you a feel for the place which is great service, relaxed and quite hotel hidden away but not far from Ubud town centre.

We stayed in a Terrace Room which had one of the most comfortable beds on our trip. Really superb. The room had a nice terrace with two chairs to relax and hear the water from the river close by which set the mood.

Location wise it's not right in the centre of Ubud but they have shuttles every few hours (check the schedule) and the walk is about a 20 minute I think. They have some very nice restaurants close by including Mozaic (fine dining), Naughty Nouri (BBQ relaxed) and quite a few recommended by the hotel.

Things not to be missed at Uma are:
- spa (excellent but book early as was always busy)
- Yoga (I'd never done it before, but they have one every day or twice sometimes - we didn't manage to make them so did a private yoga class which was amazing - it's done on a ledge overlooking the forest which was surreal)
- the restaurant on the street (we didn't manage to make it but only found out the last day that it was in the top 5 recommended on trip advisor)
- tours - we did the walk in the morning, a rafting day and another tour

Stayed July 2014
Dear Moe1984,

Thank you so much for celebrating your honeymoon with us.

We are very happy that you had a fantastic relaxing time. Uma is very fortunate to have such a stunning location which gives our guests a perfect balance between the accessibility to Ubud center and surounding villages with the tranquality being in the middle of lush jungle and Wos River valley.

Your recommendation to other travellers is highly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

London
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

From the moment of arrival to our departure 4 days later we had nothing but praise for this gem of a boutique hotel. The staff are both helpful and go beyond the ordinary to make your stay extraordinary. They are led by Sika who was just brilliant; he provided excellent restaurant recommendations and was so helpful at organising trips. We went on the Mt Batur freewheel cycling trip and the morning walk both of which I would highly recommend.

Our rooms were amazing and the breakfast was to die for. The swimming pool was excellent. We had dinner at their Italian restaurant which might seem an odd choice in Bali! However the food was absolutely delicious. It is no surprise that this is in the top 10 restaurants in Ubud.

We were recommended the hotel by Trailfinders. We would have no reservation in recommending this hotel to anybody visiting Ubud.

Stayed July 2014
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Stackers99,

We are delighted to read your wonderful review - thank you for sharing your experiences at Uma with everyone.

We are glad that you had a great 4 days at Uma and enjoyed so much our food, our room, the pool, our activities and most importantly we are very happy to know that our team exceeded your expectation. I will pass your very encouraging note to Sika and to all Uma team.

Thank you for staying at Uma and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

From the start our trip was definitely magical. We paid extra for the visa fast track which allow us to go through immigration and our bags in less than 15 minutes! Definitely a great option to have if you are unfamiliar with the airport immigration!

Upon arrival to checking in, the whole thing was quick and easy and we were shown to our room in no time at all. We were also given our "welcome drink" while we enjoy the koi pond in our villa. The villa was clean and beautiful - a koi pond separates the bathroom that has a standing tub and is partially open and the bed room. The villa itself was a great joy - a bowl of fruits and a big vase of fresh flowers completes it.

We felt very spoilt as well - every evening someone comes in and light up the candle on the patio and on our first night, there was even little candles in the bathroom! The doona and the mosquito net was also made to get us ready for bed each evening - such attention to detail!

We have dine twice in the Cucina restaurant (separate review), the bar by the pool, the kemiri restaurant and even in our room and all the food was of the top standard! The room service was quick and there is always such tentative staff who brings us the food on the tray all the way from the restaurant! The breakfast in Kemiri was great - the red rice porridge is a must try as well as the nasi lemak! For those who craves western meals, they also have the eggs Benedicts on the menu!

The staff are so attentive and they make an effort to remember your name. Every single person on staff is always friendly and happy to stop to answer any questions that you have!

We also enjoyed the Balinese massage at the spa. We were wanting to go to another spa but they were all fully booked! The hotel spa was great at accommodating us in less than 3 hours' notice. The spa was beautiful and the staff was professional. The massage was very enjoyable at a reasonable price.

For those who are from the city, you might not be used to the nature sounds - roosters, birds, dogs - but if you give it a chance, I think you will get used to it and won't mind it after a while!

Definitely a great place to stay- especially those who enjoy great service.

*we stayed in room 12 and really enjoyed it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Yan C,

I couldn't thank you enough for writing such a positive review about your stay at Uma by COMO, Ubud.

It was great that you started your holiday in Bali easy arrival at the airport and relaxing ride to the resort. We are grateful that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, the room with its attention to detail, our cuisine in both Uma Cucina and Pool Bar, and our COMO Shambhala Spa. We are particularly happy to know that you found our team attentive and friendly.

Thank you for staying with us and we trust that you will return to Uma oneday soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ubud was the third leg of our honeymoon in Indonesia. UMA proved to be the most relaxing part of our trip. The magic of Ubud really transpires in to hotel and the staff. Everyone is just so nice and relaxed here.

Although the centre of Ubud just a short car ride away, we spent most of our days there relaxing by the main pool and and enjoying the tasty cocktails that UMA had to offer. We got to know most of the staff there during our stay, and learnt a lot about the Bali Culture.

The villa itself was not as big as we expected, but the design was really impressive. A cross between rustic and modern.

My wife was addicted to the ribs at Naughty Nuri's closeby, and we had ribs for dinner almost every night. Everyone staying at UMA should go there at least once. Simple, heartfelt food.

Will definitely be back again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dancing Q,

Thank you for choosing Uma Ubud to celebrate your honeymoon.

We are delighted to know that your stay at Uma was the most relaxing part of your trip. Ubud is indeed the center of Bali in many ways; geographically as well as culturally. I am happy you got the opportunity to immerse into Balinese culture.

Your wonderful review is highly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Uma soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at Uma for two nights at the end of a 2 week vacation in Bali. I wanted to treat myself to a bit of luxury before heading back to NYC. Upon arrival I was greeted courteously and informed my room was not yet ready, no matter because I was shown to a very comfortable sitting area next to the bar and overlooking the pool and given a lovely welcome drink. I lounged for approximately 25 minutes and then was escorted to my room. It was hidden behind a low wall for ultimate privacy. When the door was opened, to my delight, I had to walk across a stone footpath surrounded by a koi pond to reach my quarters! Yes, I said "my quarters". There were three areas, the first one I saw was an outdoor sitting area, overlooking the pond, with two chairs (I would later read here) that connected the spacious bedroom and partially outdoor bathroom, complete with black stone soaking tub. I loved this room so much I didn't leave it for 24 hours! The bed was heaven, bathroom was gorgeous and the hotel provided every amenity one could possibly need for a comfortable stay.

I booked through Tablet Hotels. My stay included breakfast, which was delicious and generous. I also got a scrub and massage at the spa, which were both excellent. I didn't have the opportunity to use the infinity pool unfortunately, due to the weather. When it came time for me to check out the hotel stored my bags for a full 8 hours until that night when I had to leave for the airport. The essential oil I was given upon my departure was a lovely touch. All in all a superb stay!

One note, the hotel is a bit outside of Ubud center. There is a shuttle bus, though I think more daily runs should be added. There are a good number of restaurants, galleries and boutiques within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jennifer G
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you so much for staying with us recently and for taking your time to write such a great review. I hope you arrived home in NYC feel relaxed after your 2 weeks break in Bali.

We are very happy to learn that you loved our room, enjoyed our food and spa, and most importantly you had a lovely time with us. Your suggestion on our shuttle bus is highly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully you will stay a little longer next time.