“Uma shows others how it should be done”
Review of COMO Uma Ubud

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #12 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 30 July 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights earlier in July. In a word, the hotel is fabulous. Rooms are spacious, clean, design-led and private. We didn't hear neighbours at any point of the stay. The staff, almost to a man, have mastered the art of being helpful and attentive yet discreet and unobtrusive. I could not have asked for more from them.

The food at Uma is excellent. Breakfast was a treat each morning (please try the hot ricotta cakes - I was dubious too but immediately converted) and dinner was equally as good.

Should you venture outside for a meal (and one always should) head for Nasty Nuri's just down the road (turn left out of the hotel) which is a local BBQ-led restaurant filled with locals and tourists sharing tables wherever seats can be found. A great way to strike up conversation and find the jewel you hadn't known about beforehand.

To recap, a fabulous hotel with exceptional service that should serve as a lesson as to how one should run a luxury hotel.

There are newer reviews for COMO Uma Ubud

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed with my husband as part of our honeymoon and it was perfect for a romantic and relaxing getaway. We felt very welcome by all staff who were very friendly and helpful. The reception staff take the time to walk you to your room and explain the services on offer; we participated in the free morning walk around the local area (daily), the free yoga class and free shuttle car to Ubud centre (10 min drive). The spa is also very good.

I loved the terrace room we stayed in. The design-led style of the room and hotel in general was not pretentious thankfully, just elegant. The honeymooners' welcome gift was the best out of the 3 hotels we stayed in. Worth mentioning for those who dislike insects that because of the location, there can be ants in your room - or even a gecko as we found! Found the room to be quite humid even with the air con on, due to the construction of the roof (thatched).

We were happy to stay in the local area and only went once into Ubud centre, where we found there were too many hawkers. There are lots of art galleries and places to eat nearby.

To be honest, we loved the whole Uma experience and were quite happy to stay! Great choice for breakfast and food in general is excellent, though can be expensive compared to the local prices.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed for four nights at the Uma as part of a circular tour of the island of Bali. Opted for the cheapest of the types of room - terrace room but was glad I did as our room was quite literally on the edge of the river valley. We were entertained each morning by a pair of squirrels playing in the coconut palm right outside our small terrace garden. Also so numerous salamanders and the occasional frog and a giant snail in the gardens after rain.

Only ate breakfast at the Uma's resturant but this was always very good, with lots of choice, and the staff working there are really great. The conciege was very good at dealing with resturant booking requests in town. I also have to comment on the excellent free early morning guided tour through the nearby rice fields.

As you walk through the hotel grounds you are greeted by numerous staff who make a genuine effort to make all guests feel really welcome. I would strongly recommend this hotel if you are thinking of staying in Ubud.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Uma is a quiet, tranquil boutique hotel 5 - 10 mins drive from the centre of Ubud. We had a room in a secluded part of the resort which offered amazing views of the jungle, valley and river. All the staff seemed to know our name even if we had never met them before - which was great. The room was really spacious and comfortable and the bali coffee and fruit available in the room was a treat. We couldn't get enough of it. The decor and architecture is typically balinese which was really charming.

The staff were just brilliant especially Tini on reception. Everything was well explained so we were right at home.

The pool area was really nice and is a good place to chill out. Although they were full, we hardly saw any other people.

The breakfast was simply awesome - a good choice of really tasty, freshly produced dishes. When we had a tour starting very early in the morning, they even packed us a breakfast to take with us which was really nice of them. Nothing was too much trouble. Though we didnt have dinner at the hotel, the other food we did eat was really really nice with decent size portions.

There is a free shuttle running every couple of hours in the day time to take you to and from town but you could walk it in the day in about 25 mins or take a taxi for about 30,000 rph (about £2.50).

Great hotel and somewhere we will definately come back to. We just felt at home there.

1  Thank MrAndMrsFoodie
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This place is heaven after a week of meetings in crazy congested Jakarta.

My airport pick up was smooth and so was the one hour long ride to the hotel. The peace and tranquility of the Uma Ubud was experienced the moment I arrived. I love the tropical landscape - you feel as if you are in the middle of a lush jungle (a well manicured jungle). The one restaurant is next to a huge koi pond. The swimming pool is nice and there're a lovely bar next to it that has very comfortable daybeds. Above this bar is the yoga space. It was so nice to practice yoga (good teacher) outside and overlooking the pool and garden.

The service at the hotel is flawless yet unobstrusive. I think the staff discreetly radio each other as you move around because everyone knew where I was as well as my name. The food is healthy and delicious. I love the variety of fruit/vegetable juices at breakfast every morning.

I had several spa treatments (scrubs, massages, etc) and they were fantastic. The spa is indoor and outdoor and quite spacious.

My room was big and the bathroom even bigger. I love the half outdoor shower stall. My room had a lovely terrace with comfortable lounge chairs and view of lush greenery. The Como line of bath products is natural and very nice. I bought some to take home. My only complaint is the old box TV - every hotel has flat screen TVs now!

It was hard to drag myself outside of the Uma Ubud but I did take the free shuttle to downtown for a bit of souvenir shopping. It's about a 20 minute walk which I recommend that you do at least once to really see the scenery.

I also suggest you take the morning walk through the rice paddy fields. Just wear comfortable shoes since the paths can be very narrow and slippery.

There was a problem with my bathtub which the maintenance staff immediately addressed when I called the front desk. The night manager came by within 10 minutes to check in and then asked if I would like to be moved in case they could not fix the problem. He was apologetic and offered a complimentary massage, too. My new room was quickly prepared and was exactly like my original room. The staff handled the situation really well and hence my lovely vacation was not affected at all. However, later that night I discovered my phone and Internet did not work. I told the front desk the next day and they were fixed immeditely.

Uma Ubud is just amazing, and compared to some other high end hotels nearby, I think the cost is quite low for such 5 star service! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Geneva P
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I travelled from Los Angeles to Bali and met up with my cousin. I found Uma Ubud on tablet hotels site. I found it to be perfect for what we were looking for. Both my cousin and I have demanding jobs. We just wanted somewhere that was restful, beautiful, aesthetically pleasing with great food, pool and a gym. Uma Ubud was perfect for our needs. One day, we walked into town which is about 25 minutes. Then, we stuck around the area of the hotel. The hotel has delicious food, but for variety there are plenty of local restaurants across the street for sushi, bbq(Naughty Nuri's), etc.... as well as Art Gallery's to wander. Its near the rice paddies and they have morning walks that the hotel leads which was great to do. The decor is about simple beauty. It is well decorated and the landscaping is lush and well done. The staff are kind and helpful. We were probably the only friends there. The rest of the hotel guests were honeymoon or couples. I would absolutely go back again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank c0urtneyc
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We had a wonderful 4 days at Uma Ubud
Great private bungalows ( never heard ant other guests) with good staff servicing
Staff were friendly and always smiling.
Top class breakfast. Very healthy choice of food.
Excellent morning guided walk through rice paddies etc every day
Morning yoga classes well run
Shuttle bus service to Ubud always on time
Can recommend for a relaxing getaway

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple