The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
US$122
US$259
US$221
1,201 results
All reviewschef deanpersonal butlerpool villacocktail hourafternoon tearice paddiescomplimentary mini barour honeymoonbutler putrabose sound systembutler servicekecak dancethe general managerone bedroom suitelocal villageoutdoor bathbanana fritters
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Lets start first with the LOCATION of this Hotel:

Located in the beautiful town of UBUD where the people are exceptionally hospitable and the town is full of artists. My wife and I have never seen soo much talent in one place.

The hotel is located on a vast landscape of rice fields. In addition, you can see beautiful ponds with swans, exotic birds and cool reptiles.

Next and the most important is their exceptional service, luxury in all its meaning. All the staff are professional and extremely friendly. By the end of our trip we were surprised that not even one staff member showed any signs of having a bad day, true professionalism.

In addition to all the people's reviews about having your own butler and the free mini bar, it comes down to one thing, " you will not leave this hotel disappointed" whatever you need or want, they will make it available.

Food is just amazing, what ever you want to eat they will make for you. I mean there is nothing you will need or desire that wont be met.

Anyone who wants to come to this place must book the SPA Villa, everyday 90 minutes of SPA of your choice is what made this trip heaven for us.

So just reserve blindly and enjoy the best trip of your life :)

Special thanks to GM-Simon, Chef Dean, Our butler SUPRI, and our masseuses Wiwik and Spri and to all the staff members of the Chedi who made our stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: SPA Villa- Room number 4
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nivine_and_Tamim
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay at the Chedi Club; it was a great pleasure that I read through your note and I truly appreciate your writing to us to express such gracious comments about the services you were accorded and for commenting so highly our colleagues. I have passed it on to Dean, Supri, Wiwik, Spri and the rest of the team.

We are very proud of our staff and your comments will also serve as an inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards that we aim for.

We look forward to the pleasure of a return visit and to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We had a great time staying at the Chedi Club for a week in January on our honeymoon. We stayed in one of the poolside villas and it was so worth the extra cost as we could laze by own own private pool everyday. The hotel grounds are extensive and relaxing and the restaurant with views over the rice paddys was just beautiful. Breakfasts are great and they cook what you like from the menu, loved the daily fresh fruit juices. We had a lovely butler, driver and I enjoyed the morning yoga sessions. They also organised a private day trip with the driver for us to see some other things in the area outside of Ubud. Attention to detail by the hotel and staff is out of this world and rooms are lovely and made up impeccably. We had a free mini bar and laundry every day as well. Had a couple of massages, they were quite expensive but much better than the cheaper places in Ubud with trained therapists and a beautiful treatment room overlooking the rice paddys. The hotel is best for a relaxing and romantic break for couples, wanting to get away from it all and spoilt themselves. Overall the Chedi Club is one of the best places we have stayed in the world and we have travelled extensively.

Room Tip: The poolside villas are so worth the extra price, do yourself a favour and book one! They have a huge plunge pool and a large relaxing day bed. They are very private and romantic.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Clearly this is a superb hotel in terms of the staff - with real attention to detail. As other reviewers have stated - the individual pool villas are wonderful and our butler could not be faulted. We felt very well looked after during our stay. But... and perhaps it was because we stayed too long - 10 days whereas most guests only seem to be there for 4 or 5....there was something lacking in the hotel, it had no mystery or magic in my view. My other issue was with the dining - expensive and repetitive (yet again, our fault for staying too long I expect) but we could also eat out at one of the best restaurants in Ubud (Bridges) for a fraction of the hotel cost and the food was far more varied, fresh and tasty. We are out repeatedly, particularly after picking up some sort of stomach bug after a week in the hotel. I can't blame the hotel, but we had not eaten anywhere else at that stage and could never face the food there again. General manager was charming and more could not have been done for us - but something is missing in the midst of all these charming elephants. I could not help but compare it to the Datai in Langkawi (once a sister hotel owned by the same company). Set in the middle of a rainforest the Datai has a haunting magic both during the day and at night - the Chedi Club had the same standards of service but was a flat experience. No soul.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank JoesyLondon
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I've stayed in hotels and resorts and hotels throughout the world, and this is one of the finest properties I've ever visited.
The location is spectacularly beautiful, surrounded by rice paddies. The sunset views from the restaurant drew us there every day for the (included) cocktail hour.
Unlike some "international" resort, you get a real sense of place, knowing always that you're in Bali, because of the setting, the many superb examples of Indonesian art, and the kind and always comfortable atmosphere.
Our butler, Dias, was unfailingly helpful and cooperative. The rice paddy tour he led us on was a highlight.
The restaurant was beautiful, and the food, both Indonesian and Western, unfailingly delicious.
On hearing that Dean, the chef, was from Singapore, I asked if he could make my favorite Singaporean noodle dish that wasn't on the menu, char kway teow. No problem, he just had to get the ingredients--end result delicious.
The pool was large, warm, perfect for laps. There were never more than 4 people, including the two of us, at poolside.
When I expressed interest in going on a more distant rice paddy walk in central Bali, the staff arranged for a driver who took us where we wanted at a reasonable cost.
When we went to go shopping in Ubud, we were given a pre-programmed cell phone to call for the driver when we were finished.
If you're going anywhere near Ubud, I highly recommend that you stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view villa, which was lovely. If you want more privacy you might want a pool villa.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our property, we really appreciate your feedback. We were pleased to learn of your enjoyable stay at the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah.

Our team is truly delighted to read your comments on your stay at our property and I have passed on your comments to Dias, Dean and the team. We are happy to hear that you found our food to your liking.

We understand how vital it is to nurture an estate into a hotel that reflects the vibe and personality of its home Bali, rather than a mix of everything fashionable at the moment, especially here in Ubud. It is for this reason that we were glad and happy to read your response to our property.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chedi Club soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I think everything has been said before about this place: the setting is perfect, the staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are beautiful and the grounds are stunning. Many thanks to our butler Dana who made our stay extra special.

The restaurant is very reasonably priced, just over £10 for a main. Also a great touch with the free afternoon tea and free cocktails between 6-7pm.

My tips for people staying there would be:
1. Get the fast track visa service. Brilliant service, costs $45 dollars pp and includes the cost of the visa which is $25 pp anyway. Saves 1-2 hours of time as the queues were very long.
2. Do the 5.5 hour tour of ubud and surrounding areas. This is offered by the hotel and very reasonably priced at about £45 which was for the 2 of us. Our guide Wayan was fantastic.

Two very minor pieces of feedback for the hotel, the spa treatments are a little expensive and on a par with London prices which seems odd considering what you can get a massage for in ubud, albeit in not the same setting. Also maybe it's just me but I don't like the word butler, I wish they would call it something else.

Thanks again to everyone at the chedi for making our stay so great. Would be back tomorrow if work would let me.

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank ECharlish
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our poperty, we really apprecaite your feedback.

We were delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay at the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah; it was a great pleasure that I read through your note and I truly appreciate your writing to us to express such gracious comments about the services you were accorded and for commenting so highly our colleagues. I have passed on your comments to Darma and Wayan.

Regarding the prices of the treatments in our spa compared to some spas in Ubud Center, I agree that our prices are definitely higher. This is due to the products which we are using. We only use high quality, high end, organic products, some of them have to be imported from Europe. Apart from these we use local organic massage oils and essential oils as well which are of equally high quality.

Thank you again for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Chedi Club soon!

KInd regards,