The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
US$146
US$119
US$367
1,186 results
All reviewschef deanpersonal butlerpool villacocktail hourafternoon tearice paddiescomplimentary mini barour honeymoonbutler putrabose sound systembutler servicekecak dancethe general managerlocal villageoutdoor bathbanana frittersrestaurant overlooking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Set amongst the rice paddy fields of Ubud lies the Chedi Club. A discreet entrance from the roadside leads you into what used to be a private estate dotted with a reassuringly limited number of suites and villas - only 20 in total.
Service is at the heart of the Chedi Club - from the knowledgable driver who collected us in Kuta to the personal butler who was genuinely pleased to ensure we had everything and anything that might improve our stay.
We stayed in a one bedroom pool villa and I would recommend this highly. A detached walled villa with its own 8m pool. Total privacy and ample space both inside the room and around the pool area.
The butler service is perfectly balanced between providing you complete privacy yet being there at exactly the times you needed something.
Though the room rate might seem a little expensive, the inclusive elements actually make it very good value - these include laundry, wifi, yoga classes, open minibar, afternoon tea, evening cocktails, transfers and tours.
The restaurant is excellent and for a special occasion you can book a single table in the middle of the rice field surrounded by candles.
The SPA offers an array of treatments to tempt you and the gym is available to those able to tear themselves away from the pool or just relaxing in the grounds.
This is a hotel to stay in - and I mean to stay IN. The rooms, surroundings and facilities are faultless and we wanted to immerse ourselves in them for the duration of our stay. Of course, should you wish to explore the area then the hotel will provide transport, maps and guides of Ubud.
One stay at this hotel will not be enough. You will want to return. I know we will.

Room Tip: The Pool villas are superb.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Quinnynews
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation towards our resort.

I am delighted to read through your review and knowing that we have managed to deliver a great hotel experience for you. We very much appreciate your gracious comments about the food, our villa facilities and the various club benefits.

Its very nice to hear that your butler was able to perfectly balance the interaction with you and honor your privacy.

Thank you for choosing The Chedi Club and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future, hopefully in 2014.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Years ago I spent a wonderful 5 days here at this luxurious resort. I can not begin to tell you the fun time we had. We had a private villa set amongst the rice fields. Breakfast outdoors in a gazebo, we waited on with every need. Being treated with such individual service can not compare to some of the recent hotel experiences I have had. I could go on and on about this wonderful resort. From the villa, the indoor/ outdoor showers, the massage spa and most importantly the food! Wow!!! Our chef was Ernst Jan Broer! I understand he is no longer at this establishment but I can tell you that he made our experience one of the most memorable ones ever. He is a extremely talented chef. Another person who stood out for us was Intan. She was so sweet and took very good care of us as well as I think her sister. I cannot thank them enough for their generosity and kindness. If they are still employed with you I encourage you to commend them for a job well done. If you want a relaxing one of a kind experience you must travel to Bali, stay at the Chedi Club and watch their traditional balinese dance show! AMAZING!!

Room Tip: Villa farthest away from lobby and up the path and too the right is awesome!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to express my sincere gratitude for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are all very happy to know that we have provided you with great hotel experience.

It is very nice to receive such a wonderful write up after you have stayed with us a good amount of time ago. You correctly pointed out that Chef Broer is not longer with us but Intan is still working here and I am very happy to let her know that you remembered her.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The atmosphere, the people, the food -- it was all enjoyable. We really like the personal touch that they have for the smallest things. They were attentive on which villa we liked, the kind of food that we want (since my husband and I are both vegetarians) and the rooms were very clean, elegant and relaxing. We had our own private pool at the back of the villa, where it gives us a view of ther ricefields. The motif of the building was also great, with Thai elephants everywhere. It was such a luxurious place to stay in, and we loved every moment of it. My husband is not exactly a big beach fan, so we opted for this place, and he was happy with the service, the location, and everything in between. Worth the trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianneWT
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback from your recent visit at The Chedi Club Ubud. I am delighted to hear that different aspects of our services and surroundings made such a positive impression on you, during your stay.

I will make sure your precious review is shared among our team and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to our resort.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Service at the Chedi Club utterly and completely elevates this place above the ordinary.

Is GM Simon Spiller the ultimate hotel guru? I don't know. But he is creating magic. Again, I can't remember service like this anywhere. Not under diplomatic passport. Not at the Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur. Not in Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Not at Dhara Dhevi in Chiang Mai. And certainly not at any Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental/Ritz Carlton.

The personal butler assigned to my villa, Jiwa, is a beautiful person, the anthropomorphization of good energy and fantastic service. The entire staff is insane great. Breakfast next to the rice paddy - so memorable.

The whole place exudes serenity and calmness.

Next time I will come with someone special...but if not... I will come again myself. A beautiful, wondrous property. Bravissimo Mr. Spiller! Bravissimo Chedi Club! 11 out of 10.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kruseville

Dear Guest,

Your kind words are very much appreciated, and our staffs—especially Jiwa—are greatly encouraged by your comments.

We are looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was first trip without our kids for the last 7 years (except a 4 day jaunt in Paris). We have stayed in many many wonderful hotels over the years and whilst facility wise its not the best. Service wise it cant be faulted. Often with service its what you dont see that makes the difference. We had the pool villa and a butler. Its the skill of the staff and what they do that makes this place different. By the first day all of the staff knew our name and what we liked etc.
Simon Spiller made the effort to introduce himself to us on the first day. This place is class act.
In point form.
The Bad or could be improved
- The gym needs to be bigger and more equipped. Every time we went to use it (4 times) there was another couple training and this gym cant handle 4 persons. Needs natural ventilation too
- Decking in villa 10 near pool needs to be re laid. You could cut your foot on protruding nails

The Good
- Its a case of what you want when you want it and where you want it. Its your choice yours
- 4-6pm free high tea
- 6-7pm Free cocktails (Tanah Gajah recommended)
- Service levels beyond reproach- attentive, friendly and just intuitive.
- Bowa our butler who organised everything and made sure we had everything.
- The grounds are spacious and beautiful
- The hotel only has 20 rooms and is a very quiet retreat.
- The restaurant is lovely and the staff amazing.
- Butler Bowa plays a mean game of ping pong and I asked him to give 100% and win and he did that he beat me 4-2. Respect for being honest.
- They always serve you from the right (once again just the little things)
- The vista from the restaurant over the working rice fields.

I could go on and on and on. All the staff were incredible and Bowa gets a mention because he was our butler. But the lovely smiling Balinese are so welcoming.
One of the possible reasons why the service is so good here is that all staff have been here for a long time. The system works!!!!
We always said that we would never stay at the same place twice. After our stay we are thinking about an annual trip here. If you want a relaxing holiday with the very best service this is the place.
A big thank you to all that made our trip so memorable. And I know that Simon Spiller (GM) will pass this onto to his staff as we appreciated every effort made by them all.

Room Tip: We have pool villa 10. private and everything we needed. Didnt see any other rooms but get the impression that all pool villa's would be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Madalen1611
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for a very detailed review on our property and we very much appreciate your feedback.

Regarding the gym, its a bit difficult for us to enlarge it due to space constraints. The ventilation however can be easily improved and I will work together with our Engineering team to fix that. The same goes for the wooden deck, we have scheduled a refurbishment already, which will take place within the next few days.

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and consider breaking your rule of not staying at the same place twice, we would be more then happy to have you back with us next year.

I passed your compliment on to Bawa and the entire team and they are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of the whole team we would like to say thank you again.