“Outstanding relaxation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Freising, Germany
“Outstanding relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed 4 nights at The Chedi Tanah Gajah with Romance package. This was our 1st trip to Bali and actually the 1st hotel on the island. There is already a lot written about how great this place is, so adding just a few personal messages & observations. I would like to be very clear that this is decent hotel to live in and we completely fell in love with the place, with the staff, with wonderful architecture and phenomenally relaxing environment. Wish to come back again, no doubts.

The location in the middle of the rice fields, the ability to observe the farmers make you feel connected to the surroundings, rather than isolated in a closed resort setting. The trip with the butler in the fields and through the nearest village is a short but enriching cultural experience. Parallel to seeing how local people live, we got a fascinating, open story about the values, traditions, and everyday life of the island.

Generally, I found the concept of having a butler, associated to us during the whole stay, a top expression of care and hospitality. Our butler, Pardi, young and talented person, appeared usually once or twice per day to make sure everything is fine. There was a fantastic balance between being always available and at the same time not too much.

The Romance package seemed a good choice – number of nice things cleverly packed together, providing both relaxation and at least some small insight about surroundings.
The Pool Villa settings are wonderful, but we actually found ourselves using main pool much more, hence no real benefit on pool at villa itself. The main reasons were that the main pool is 1,40m depth while the one at Villa was 1,45m – small, but noticeable difference for my petit wife. The second thing was that the main pool was actually a little warmer through entire day, plus not to forget an excellent service by the pool. Next time going, I will look for different settings to try.

Four nights stay in slow motion were truly wonderful, filled with relax at pool, SPA procedures, yoga etc. Analyzing this post factum, I think a seven-night stay would be ideal for me, but not more.

This would allow participating in all the events the hotel organises, but be short enough to start missing a more active life-style.

Must things to do there as per our preferences: Yoga class at mornings (wonderful!); SPA massages (very relaxing); teatime and original extravagant cocktails hour every day at the main restaurant, just prior the dinner; Kecak dance show, followed by Balinese dinner; hot tube filled with flowers after dinner prior to sleep; Barbecue at Sunday, with suckling pig and superb sea food grilled in front of your eyes and finally, not to miss the Romantic Dinner on the rice fields – very special, intimate and perfectly organized experience.

Three suggestions at the end, to always have some room for improvement. First – to have a little, truly a little more option for activity – for example some slow dance options with live music. Maybe as adjustment to barbeque, maybe as independent idea – but simply to have that touching and fascinating activity available. Just like Yoga to start the day, also to have an activity to finish the day. Next two suggestions are truly organizational – I would prefer to see all the prices with service & taxes included (as there is no way to avoid those, it should be showing the real final price everywhere). Lastly, I was surprised that you can’t pay to the room number at the shopping gallery – pretty strange in such a resort to walk back to villa and take the purse just to pay for a couple of souvenirs from the gallery. I have seen a better handling on such a things – please fix it.

Room Tip: Pool villa was great, but would easily chose just One Bedroom Suite without hesitation - as the main...
2 Thank xsauth
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Pardi and the entire team were very happy to receive your kind comments.

Thank you as well for your feedback and suggestions. We are always looking into opportunities to add new guest activities. One which we just launched is a private tour through our owners' estate, which is becoming very popular.

Unfortunately, the accounting standards here do not allow us to print prices with taxes included, but if that were to change we would definitely consider it. I have rectified the gallery's posting to guest villas directly, and I apologize for that.

Thank you once again for choosing the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah and we hope to welcome you back whenever you make your second visit to Bali.

Simon and the management team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Chedi was amazing and as close to perfect as any hotel could possibly come. Of all the places we have stayed while living in Asia, this was absolutely our favorite. While Ubud is a beautiful part of the world to visit regardless of where you stay, the hotel is set on a surreal setting of rice patties, temples, ducks and greenery. You feel like you've stepped right into a painting - the rooms come with fantastic outdoor space and the hotel offers tons of freebies/inclusions to make the price well worth it. The staff was incredible and we loved our butler, Kadek, who made our stay as special as possible. Would highly recommend the village walking tour as well as the free yoga - the food, atmosphere, room and service were perfect and we simply couldn't ask for anything more. Hope to come back one day!

3 Thank Wanderlust100111
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read through your fantastic review about our property and the services you experienced while you were staying with us. I have passed your comment to Kadek, he is happy to know that he helped to make your stay an enjoyable one.

It has been a privilege to serve you and we hope we can welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the Chedi Club in August as part of our honeymoon. The location and setup of the hotel (well, really a group of fully serviced unique villas) is just perfect. It is so tranquil, and the grounds are expertly landscaped and a pleasure to spend time in.

We recommend everything about this hotel - the unique villas (we had a pool villa with a rice paddy view), the personal butler service, the breakfast overlooking the vast paddy fields, the attentive yet unobtrusive service, and the cultural dinner with fire dance!

My only feedback to The Chedi Club is to ensure that they have a refurbishment scheme to keep the ageing villas up to date. Ours was by no means shabby, however, before the Chedi Club we stayed in a nearly new villa, and this made the bathroom at the Chedi seem slight old and in need of imminent replacement.

If you want peace and quiet, a cultural experience, and expert service, the Chedi Club is for you!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nevaltron
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation towards our resort.

I am delighted to read through your review and knowing that we have managed to deliver a great hotel experience for you. We very much appreciate your gracious comments about our hotel and the services provided.

I also would like to thank you for the comment about the Pool Villa bathrooms. It is of upmost importance to us to keep our villas well maintained and we constantly working on that. We have renovated some of the villas this year and will continue to do so in 2014 to make sure to product is up to date.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Set amongst the rice paddy fields of Ubud lies the Chedi Club. A discreet entrance from the roadside leads you into what used to be a private estate dotted with a reassuringly limited number of suites and villas - only 20 in total.
Service is at the heart of the Chedi Club - from the knowledgable driver who collected us in Kuta to the personal butler who was genuinely pleased to ensure we had everything and anything that might improve our stay.
We stayed in a one bedroom pool villa and I would recommend this highly. A detached walled villa with its own 8m pool. Total privacy and ample space both inside the room and around the pool area.
The butler service is perfectly balanced between providing you complete privacy yet being there at exactly the times you needed something.
Though the room rate might seem a little expensive, the inclusive elements actually make it very good value - these include laundry, wifi, yoga classes, open minibar, afternoon tea, evening cocktails, transfers and tours.
The restaurant is excellent and for a special occasion you can book a single table in the middle of the rice field surrounded by candles.
The SPA offers an array of treatments to tempt you and the gym is available to those able to tear themselves away from the pool or just relaxing in the grounds.
This is a hotel to stay in - and I mean to stay IN. The rooms, surroundings and facilities are faultless and we wanted to immerse ourselves in them for the duration of our stay. Of course, should you wish to explore the area then the hotel will provide transport, maps and guides of Ubud.
One stay at this hotel will not be enough. You will want to return. I know we will.

Room Tip: The Pool villas are superb.
1 Thank Quinnynews
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read through your review and knowing that we have managed to deliver a great hotel experience for you. We very much appreciate your gracious comments about the food, our villa facilities and the various club benefits.

Its very nice to hear that your butler was able to perfectly balance the interaction with you and honor your privacy.

Thank you for choosing The Chedi Club and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future, hopefully in 2014.

Aliso Viejo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Years ago I spent a wonderful 5 days here at this luxurious resort. I can not begin to tell you the fun time we had. We had a private villa set amongst the rice fields. Breakfast outdoors in a gazebo, we waited on with every need. Being treated with such individual service can not compare to some of the recent hotel experiences I have had. I could go on and on about this wonderful resort. From the villa, the indoor/ outdoor showers, the massage spa and most importantly the food! Wow!!! Our chef was Ernst Jan Broer! I understand he is no longer at this establishment but I can tell you that he made our experience one of the most memorable ones ever. He is a extremely talented chef. Another person who stood out for us was Intan. She was so sweet and took very good care of us as well as I think her sister. I cannot thank them enough for their generosity and kindness. If they are still employed with you I encourage you to commend them for a job well done. If you want a relaxing one of a kind experience you must travel to Bali, stay at the Chedi Club and watch their traditional balinese dance show! AMAZING!!

Room Tip: Villa farthest away from lobby and up the path and too the right is awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to express my sincere gratitude for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are all very happy to know that we have provided you with great hotel experience.

It is very nice to receive such a wonderful write up after you have stayed with us a good amount of time ago. You correctly pointed out that Chef Broer is not longer with us but Intan is still working here and I am very happy to let her know that you remembered her.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Stary Krym
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The atmosphere, the people, the food -- it was all enjoyable. We really like the personal touch that they have for the smallest things. They were attentive on which villa we liked, the kind of food that we want (since my husband and I are both vegetarians) and the rooms were very clean, elegant and relaxing. We had our own private pool at the back of the villa, where it gives us a view of ther ricefields. The motif of the building was also great, with Thai elephants everywhere. It was such a luxurious place to stay in, and we loved every moment of it. My husband is not exactly a big beach fan, so we opted for this place, and he was happy with the service, the location, and everything in between. Worth the trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DianneWT
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback from your recent visit at The Chedi Club Ubud. I am delighted to hear that different aspects of our services and surroundings made such a positive impression on you, during your stay.

I will make sure your precious review is shared among our team and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to our resort.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Service at the Chedi Club utterly and completely elevates this place above the ordinary.

Is GM Simon Spiller the ultimate hotel guru? I don't know. But he is creating magic. Again, I can't remember service like this anywhere. Not under diplomatic passport. Not at the Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur. Not in Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Not at Dhara Dhevi in Chiang Mai. And certainly not at any Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental/Ritz Carlton.

The personal butler assigned to my villa, Jiwa, is a beautiful person, the anthropomorphization of good energy and fantastic service. The entire staff is insane great. Breakfast next to the rice paddy - so memorable.

The whole place exudes serenity and calmness.

Next time I will come with someone special...but if not... I will come again myself. A beautiful, wondrous property. Bravissimo Mr. Spiller! Bravissimo Chedi Club! 11 out of 10.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kruseville
Dear Guest,

Your kind words are very much appreciated, and our staffs—especially Jiwa—are greatly encouraged by your comments.

We are looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.