The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Very Good 4/5
US$173
US$145
Excellent 5/5
Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa(Peliatan)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$119
US$111
HotelQuickly
1,183 results
All reviewschef deanpersonal butlerpool villacocktail hourafternoon tearice paddiescomplimentary mini barour honeymoonbutler putrabose sound systembutler servicekecak dancethe general managerlocal villageoutdoor bathbanana frittersrestaurant overlooking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our Balinese honeymoon. As soon as you pull up you realize you're in a very special place. The staff are professional and exude calmness and nothing you need is too much to ask for. This hotel is the private grounds of a very rich businessman I understand, who has converted his property into these villas. There's a golf cart to tour you around the property and everyone is assigned to a butler. Ours was wonderful, I can't remember his name right now but he was non-intrusive and lovely, had a bath run for me upon arrival and managed to snag us the best table with no notice at a restaurant we wanted to go to in town. Don't forget to tip them at the end of your stay :)

The property itself is in the midst of working rice fields and you can watch the workers from the strategically placed gazebos and dining area, all of which are all open-air and breezy. Ubud is lush and exotic, quite different than anywhere else in Bali. I spent an hour just photographing the property I was so impressed with all the statues, art work and architecture. The pool is gorgeous and there's a tray with suncream and water dropped off to you as soon as you pick a lounge spot.

Our villa was spacious with a gorgeous open-air bathroom with deep-soaker tub and shower. They provide free spirits and beer as well as tea and coffee in room. Drinks are free during happy hour.

The morning yoga class was a highlight for me, facing the magnificent rice fields is the ultimate zen, I will never forget it.

This is a very, very quiet resort, I wouldn't recommend booking with children and my husband and I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than 2 nights here only because we enjoy late dinners and drinks and a bit more of a party atmosphere but don't get me wrong, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to stay here and if peace and quiet is what you're after, you'll never, ever want to leave.

Room Tip: All are lovely. We didn't splurge for the private pool but I imagine those would be beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessterlou
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great comments about our resort and sharing it with fellow travelers. It's so nice to hear that you enjoyed the culture-rich highlands of Ubud and the lush undulating surroundings of our resort.

I agree with you, if you are seeking serenity and rejuvenation in the middle of the seemingly endless paddy fields, the Chedi Club is definitely a good place to be.

Thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to see you back soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights beginning of January in the lowest room category, the suite, which was still spectacular. I am terrified of mosquitos and the indoor outdoor bathroom didn't impress me at first, but they do such a good job spraying the area, that I'm proud to day I didn't get bit once.
The property is breathtaking and photos do not do it justice. They do an excellent job of up-keeping the grounds, and we were mesmorized by the black and white swans and endless lily ponds. The hotel is in a great location, just far enough from Ubud town, but a close ride away.
Staff were gracious and very efficient, meeting each request with perfection and speed. The restaurant staff especially went out of their way to accommodate us. One day we couldn't make it to tea, and we phoned the hotel to save us some cakes (their desserts are delicious). They provided us with a full high tea set up in our room when we returned at 9:30pm, which was really nice. Breakfast was great and so was the variety. Restaurant views are to die for.
Music in the room was a nice touch, and so was the complimentary laundry service. Attention to detail at every turn made this hotel a perfection.
When you venture out in the evening, don't forget the flashlight... it is extremely dark at night on hotel grounds, and the only criticism I have is that they could use a lot more light along the paths leading to the rooms. Also, we found it odd that even though rooms were available and we only stayed 2 nights, they would not provide a complimentary room upgrade for our honeymoon, which was done at every other property we stayed at on this trip. They asked us to pay the difference ($200 per night), but upon inspecting our room we decided it was sufficient for our needs and did not upgrade.
Overall I can't wait to return and would most definitely stay at the Chedi again.
Ubud in itself is magical and unlike any other part of Bali. Make sure to get guide for a day to see it properly, and I highly recommend Nayoman from Bali Traditional Tours (info@balitraditionaltours.com). He made our Bali trip! In all our world travels we haven't met a more knowledgeable and reliable guide, and a kinder, more personable one. We had the best day of our honeymoon with him, and felt like we were with a close friend showing us his home, rather than with a driver/guide.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank ig4078

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious one bedroom villa with its typical Balinese outdoor shower and vanity. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the butler and our club benefits to its fullest.

I am very sorry that we could not provide you with a free upgrade during the time you were staying with us.

We look forward upon your return visit to the Chedi Club and would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon.

We wish you all the very best and kind regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in early January. We are a family of 5 (children 13, 11 and 7) and we stayed in the 2-bedroom Hadiprana Villa (with a roll-away bed in the second bedroom).

Our villa was huge, with a private pool. It was a beautifully furnished and very comfortable. We also made good use of the main pool.

As the hotel only has 20 villas it is very peaceful and never felt crowded, the grounds are really spectacular.

Our butler, Jiwa, was fantastic, our kids particularly loved the animals he made each night out of the towels!

We regularly used the hotel cars to drop us into Ubud and pick us up, including to restaurants, the monkey forest or anywhere we wanted to go.

There really isn't a lot to add to the already glowing reviews. I would say that while the hotel certainly isn't targeted at children, our children were made very welcome and absolutely loved everything about the hotel, especially the breakfasts and afternoon tea.

We would definitely return to this hotel, it was simply beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December. It was absolutely amazing (as all GHM Hotels are).
The hotel is set in the most tranquil of settings and our room was perfectly appointed.
Our amazing butler saw to our every need before we realised it was a need!
The staff everywhere were lovely and went out of their way to ensure that my allergy to chilli wasn't an issue in any food I ate.
I have never felt more cared for, looked after and pampered than I did here.
Just absolutely amazing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. We are delighted that you enjoyed the service, grounds and tranquility of our resort.

I have passed your review on to my team and they were very happy to receive it.

We wish you a happy New Year and all the very best for 2014. We look forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and booked a suite, we were thrilled to be upgraded to a pool villa when we arrived. The pool area was great and completely private, plenty of space to lounge, eat meals etc and the pool was a good size. There is a great quality Bose sound system with speakers outdoors as well and a huge and varied selection of music on the iPod. The villa was lovely and the bed was very comfy.

Service was top notch from all staff we met and we found the butler service to be spot on. We've never had a butler service before, when we needed things he made it so easy (restaurant bookings, transport, suggestions for activities etc) and when we wanted to be left to organise things on our own or have downtime he took the hint. The general manager took the time to speak to us and offer suggestions for other places to stay in Bali as well as come over to welcome and say goodbye at both ends of our stay. As it is a small property this level of personal interaction between staff and guests is possible and was a really nice touch.

Food was great, the breakfast was substantial with lots of options. Afternoon tea and complimentary cocktail hour in the main restaurant area were also great. We had dinner one evening and also enjoyed it very much. The coffee is top class and was the best by far we had anywhere in our stay in Bali. The setting for all of the meals/drinks etc is the same area amongst the rice paddies and it is truly amazing whether early morning, sunset, lit up at night etc. I loved the area with big day beds where we took our afternoon tea daily.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the complimentary extras such as tea, cocktail hour, 5 or 6 pieces of laundry per person each day, shuttle service to Ubud during the day, pick up from the airport and program of activities (I tried and would recommend the yoga class). We also paid for the fast track visa service which the hotel arranged and would recommend it, you skip every queue and are out of the airport very quickly.

The spa is worth a visit with very good quality treatments. The main pool was never too busy and as a keen swimmer I was very pleased with the big size which allowed me to do proper lengths. The villas and the property overall are very well maintained although I would say a couple of things look like they will need attention or upgrading before long. This did not however detract at all from what was a great stay and I think the price is very good when you consider all the extras and quality you get. This is really a perfect place to get away from it all and unwind.

Room Tip: Get a pool villa, it's worth it to get the private outdoor space.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kittkey

Dear Guest,

What a wonderful start into 2014 with such a fantastic review!

We would like thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor and are delighted that we could make your stay at the Chedi Club a memorable one.

Our team and I wish you all the very best for 2014 and we look forward to welcome you back soon.