“Overall good, with some areas for improvement”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #5 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I got married last summer and only recently went on our honeymoon. For our honeymoon, we wanted to try a place that was exotic and different, living in Canada. After reading numerous reviews, we decided to try the Chedi Club in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia. Since it appears that on TripAdvisor these comments are actually read by the hotel staff and management, I've decided to add my review here as well.

Our stay was quite a long one, at 12 days, it was longer than what the average guest will stay there. So needless to say, we got pretty well acquainted with the resort.

First impressions of the resort came right at the airport upon arrival. The VIP assistance on arrival was a service that cost a little bit extra but was definitely worth it. Once we landed, it was simply a matter of finding the person holding a sign with our names on it, and then from there, he took care of the rest. We were able to fast track very quickly through customs, completely bypassing the super long line ups and exiting the airport very quickly. I highly recommend this service.

First impressions of the actual resort when we got there were good. We were greeted by the managerial staff, and were glad that they wore name tags because there seemed to be a number of managers, and I kept forgetting which manager was for which area. The hotel property is a very nice one, and very unique. I honestly don't think that I've seen a property quite like this before. The grounds were very well maintained, very clean, very lush, very green. For anyone that likes being out in nature, this is definitely the place for you. (More about enjoying nature later on!)

The property has a number of villas and lots of places to simply lounge around outdoors, which was great. There was definitely a number of things to do there, however this being our honeymoon, we were inclined more so just to take it easy and include a number of lazy days on our trip, which consisted of spending entire days at the resort, usually outdoors reading. The staff were still quite attentive on our lazy days. One of our favourite places to read was the Bird Lounge. As soon as they saw us settling ourselves there, we were greeted by their very friendly staff and offered a drink or something to order off their menu.

Speaking of the staff, they were absolutely amazing. Their hospitality and friendliness was second to none, I can honestly say. They were always smiling, very polite, and very attentive. The butler assigned to us did a good job as well, however, I can't help but wonder if we underutilized his services or not. He did take us for a guided walk through the rice fields which was fun, however we were so laid back there that there were even days when we didn't see our butler at all.

The restaurant staff especially were excellent. Because we were there for almost two weeks, it seemed like the restaurant staff knew our names and always were ready to greet us. The best part of each day there was always the free breakfast as I really enjoyed the food and the service. The Indonesian vegetable platter I especially enjoyed as my personal favourite. Chef Dean was also able to make for us Vietnamese noodle soup, or pho, and it wasn't on the menu, but I wanted to see if he was up for the challenge of custom cooking for us. Sure enough, he passed with flying colours.

The yoga in the morning was also very nice. We didn't end up using it every available morning as originally planned, however the handful of times that we did go, we quite enjoyed it. We even got ourselves a private yoga class.

We tried the spa there a couple of times as well. The treatments were very well done and the spa staff were very professional. As other reviews have noted however, the prices for the spa are definitely pricey. Simply going into Ubud town to find a spa is another option, which is also far less expensive than at the resort. There are businesses all over Ubud offering spa treatments so finding one should not be a problem at all. The same thing applies for food. Restaurants in Ubud town were far more cost effective than the resort restaurant.

While the overall experience of the resort was positive, there was an issue with our initial accommodation there. We had booked the one bedroom suite originally and it truly was quite beautiful aesthetically. The issue with it was with the open air washroom. Because there was no ceiling in the bathroom, critters could easily get inside. There was one night when there was a bat that kept flying into our bathroom. The same bat flew inside about three or four times, and each time we had to call our butler to get the bat out. While the bats are good at eating insects, it's quite an inconvenience, and somewhat terrifying, when you're naked in the shower and a bat comes flying in! We got to the point where we refused to use the bathroom after dusk, which was also an inconvenience because if one of us had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, we would actually try and tough it out until the morning so the bats would be gone. In addition to the bats, our first suite was right beside a pond. This meant that every night, we had to sleep while unwillingly listening to frogs making the most awful sounds at night. The frog sounds were akin to a warbling, but extremely loud; loud enough to wake us up at night several times. There was one evening when a frog made its way inside our suite and left droppings by our bed. In addition to the frogs and the bats, there were the recurring geckos visiting us in our washroom too.

After complaining about the issues with the wildlife, which understandably were not entirely the fault of the resort, we were able to get a free upgrade to the grand Hadiprana suite for two nights. This was a very beautiful suite, and for the two of us, it was so large that we really only ended up utilizing about a third of the entire suite. While very comfortable, we had a significant problem there with ants. Even something as simple as an open can of pop left on a coffee table would attract out of nowhere a huge horde of ants! After discovering this issue on the coffee table, I noticed too that some ants had made their way to our suitcases! We had to keep everything closed and sealed for two nights, and had to be really careful not to give the ants a reason to visit us. This must have been an issue exclusive to this suite as we did not have any ants issues with any of the other suites that we stayed in.

For our final four nights there, we were moved finally to the pool villa at no extra charge. This villa, of the three that we stayed in, was by far the best one of all. The private pool was quite enjoyable, and the room had an enclosed washroom! We thought that if we had known, we would have stayed in the pool villa right from the start.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will miss the resort. The issues with the wildlife were made up for by their impeccable service. I would not recommend the one bedroom suite, just because of the likelihood of a bat flying in at night and giving you a spook, however I would definitely recommend the pool villas. We did not get a chance to try out their spa villas, but their inclusion of a daily massage looks very appealing.

I think if we were to visit Bali again, we would consider the Chedi Club again, but perhaps not stay as long as we did, or perhaps try out one of their sister properties such as The Legian. Thank you to all the staff at the Chedi Club for a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Go for the pool villa for the enclosed bathroom and private pool!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank conbrio29
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review of our property. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, and thank you for the feedback on service, restaurant, spa and yoga.
The traditional Balinese-style open ceiling bathrooms are an inherent feature of the suite villas and being in a tropical area with an abundance of natural beauty, we try not to over-control the wildlife that is part of our ecosystem such as frogs, birds and geckos with extensive fumigation and pest control.

I do apologize on behalf of the bat that flew in, it is actually the first time that I have heard this and I will find out how we can keep them away. But I will definitely look into the ants in the Hadiprana estate, and thank you for letting me know.

Thank you again for choosing to spend such an important time at our estate and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Chedi Club.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel and being welcome by the friendly Swiss Manager we immediately thought that the 2 night stay planned was probably going to be too short. This was confirmed when arriving at the Hadiprana villa. WOW! Probably the best "hotel room" we stayed in. 550m2 of understated luxury. 2 bedrooms, perfect for a family or 2 couples. Huge facilities like a 15m pool. Butler service etc. We got teared apart between staying at the villa versus visiting the area... As with teh Legian in Bali free min bar, cocktails, liquors, perfect for pre or after diner drinks...
This is one of the few property I will definitively go back to.
The hotel in the middle of its own rice fields, you breakfast while looking at this nature. Simply extraordinary. My wife enjoyed yoga classes in the spa overlooking the same rice fields. The hotel is 10 minutes by car from Ubud center.

Room Tip: Hadiprana villa, do not hesitate to spend the money, a lifetime memory
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AsiaLovers
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Chedi Club on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you and your friends enjoyed the Hadiprana Estate, our biggest Villa we have as well as the surrounding and services.

Its very nice to hear that you are planning another visit and we would be thrilled to welcome you back sometimes in 2014.

With our best regards from Ubud,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

In short, The Chedi was great, as was Ubud. If you want to just relax and have plenty of down time it's perfect. We only had 4 nights but it felt like we were there for weeks.

The resort has only 20 villas on 5 hectares of land so there's plenty of privacy. I'd personally recommend a pool villa because you get a nice courtyard and obviously your own pool which is great. Views out over the rice paddys you never get tired of.

The most outstanding thing was the service. You get a butler that just organises and takes care of everything for you. Our man Jun was one intuitive guy - he would just pop up wherever you were in the resort at any time and update you on your bookings, dinner reservations, etc and just seemed to know what we wanted. After I asked for a bucket of ice at 5pm on the first night so I could take advantage of the complimentary mini bar he made sure there was a bucket of ice delivered every afternoon at 5.

The only downside is that the resort is a little aged, as most Bali buildings are after 10 years, but the Chedi like the Legian is immaculately maintained and done in a very classical Bali temple style.

The food was amazing - the head chef Dean is a contemporary Singaporean chef and did western, Indonesian and fusion incredibly. He came and saw us meal one, day one and said "don't get caught up on the menu. If you think of anything you would like to eat just ask me and I will make it for you". Also, full menu is available in villa which is always great, or at a table with candles in the middle of the rice paddy.

The spa is awesome, and they have free yoga at 8am each day, or you can pay for private classes.

All in all pretty amazing.

Room Tip: Get a pool villa
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zorbachev
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and club benefits.

I'll make sure to pass on your gracious comments to our Chef Dean as well as the Spa team. They will be very happy to receive it.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My sister and I stayed here in December 13 for 3 nights and I can honestly say this was one of the best resorts I have ever encountered. We had a villa with private pool which was simply stunning. Nothing was too much for our wonderful butler Aya who would prepare the pool each day so we could look out onto the stunning rice fields from it. When your butler introduces themselves there is no question of it being a nuisance to ask for anything to make your stay more enjoyable. We asked for some anti mosquito plugs and within minutes, our butler returned with some and also lit an anti mosquito candle outside the door to our villa. She did this every night without prompting after this.

The grounds are out of this world. Simply breathtaking! The gardens and rice fields are so beautifully thought out. Sitting sipping afternoon tea or cocktails looking out onto the fields you could be forgiven for thinking you had died and gone to heaven! No exaggeration!!

Then there is the spa...now, I like my spa treatments, have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, had treatments at the number one spas in several countries and so my expectations are high! Again, without any exaggeration, I had the best massage of my life (kundalini massage - nothing kinky abut it) at the Chedi.

The food was good although I wouldn't describe it as excellent. The restaurant staff are incredibly attentive and professional and the wine selection is surprisingly good. There was an issue with some chicken in my salad on the day of our arrival being either undercooked or fatty. I only discovered this at the end of the meal and mentioned it to the waitress. I was advised that the chicken was not undercooked and was prepared in a certain way that made it look the way it did (?) but as any decent place should, the salad was not charged to me. Excellent response Chedi.

If you wish to go into Ubud from the Chedi, they offer free drivers to take you and collect you. All of the drivers are super professional, helpful and informative. We went to an art gallery one day and into Ubud market a couple of times. I wouldn't bother calling your driver to collect you from Ubud as traffic can take them a good 40mins to an hour to reach you at certain times of day and it is so cheap to get a cab back that it makes more sense to just get a taxi from the street.

What makes the Chedi so wonderful is how well thought out everything is. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone wanting a peaceful rest in a paradise setting. I think young kids could get bored here although there is tennis, swimming and rice field tours on offer. I know I would go back in a heartbeat! My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would also love to go with my partner one day...maybe next year?!

So in summary, for us the highlights are:

The grounds, gardens and statues everywhere
The room with private pool and outdoor bath
Eating breakfast outside looking out onto the rice fields
Plunging into the pool and looking out onto the rice fields
The massage!
The staff and the amazing care and attention we received

Thank you to all of the staff who made our stay so exceptional. Special thanks to Aya our butler. You are a true professional and we really appreciate your care.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms but ours was divine! If you go for a room without your own pool, t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank thegirlmiller
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review. We are delighted that you had an thoroughly enjoyable stay at our resort.

I agree with you, the grounds and views into the rice fields are quite spectacular.

We will make sure to pass on your review to Aya your butler and the rest of our team as well.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I spent the first part of my honeymoon here in May 2012. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Magnificent grounds with fantastic service. Our butler was helpful without being intrusive, the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fatima L

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for such a great review and for remembering us after a good amount of time. We are pleased and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our Balinese honeymoon. As soon as you pull up you realize you're in a very special place. The staff are professional and exude calmness and nothing you need is too much to ask for. This hotel is the private grounds of a very rich businessman I understand, who has converted his property into these villas. There's a golf cart to tour you around the property and everyone is assigned to a butler. Ours was wonderful, I can't remember his name right now but he was non-intrusive and lovely, had a bath run for me upon arrival and managed to snag us the best table with no notice at a restaurant we wanted to go to in town. Don't forget to tip them at the end of your stay :)

The property itself is in the midst of working rice fields and you can watch the workers from the strategically placed gazebos and dining area, all of which are all open-air and breezy. Ubud is lush and exotic, quite different than anywhere else in Bali. I spent an hour just photographing the property I was so impressed with all the statues, art work and architecture. The pool is gorgeous and there's a tray with suncream and water dropped off to you as soon as you pick a lounge spot.

Our villa was spacious with a gorgeous open-air bathroom with deep-soaker tub and shower. They provide free spirits and beer as well as tea and coffee in room. Drinks are free during happy hour.

The morning yoga class was a highlight for me, facing the magnificent rice fields is the ultimate zen, I will never forget it.

This is a very, very quiet resort, I wouldn't recommend booking with children and my husband and I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than 2 nights here only because we enjoy late dinners and drinks and a bit more of a party atmosphere but don't get me wrong, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to stay here and if peace and quiet is what you're after, you'll never, ever want to leave.

Room Tip: All are lovely. We didn't splurge for the private pool but I imagine those would be beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessterlou

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great comments about our resort and sharing it with fellow travelers. It's so nice to hear that you enjoyed the culture-rich highlands of Ubud and the lush undulating surroundings of our resort.

I agree with you, if you are seeking serenity and rejuvenation in the middle of the seemingly endless paddy fields, the Chedi Club is definitely a good place to be.

Thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to see you back soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights beginning of January in the lowest room category, the suite, which was still spectacular. I am terrified of mosquitos and the indoor outdoor bathroom didn't impress me at first, but they do such a good job spraying the area, that I'm proud to day I didn't get bit once.
The property is breathtaking and photos do not do it justice. They do an excellent job of up-keeping the grounds, and we were mesmorized by the black and white swans and endless lily ponds. The hotel is in a great location, just far enough from Ubud town, but a close ride away.
Staff were gracious and very efficient, meeting each request with perfection and speed. The restaurant staff especially went out of their way to accommodate us. One day we couldn't make it to tea, and we phoned the hotel to save us some cakes (their desserts are delicious). They provided us with a full high tea set up in our room when we returned at 9:30pm, which was really nice. Breakfast was great and so was the variety. Restaurant views are to die for.
Music in the room was a nice touch, and so was the complimentary laundry service. Attention to detail at every turn made this hotel a perfection.
When you venture out in the evening, don't forget the flashlight... it is extremely dark at night on hotel grounds, and the only criticism I have is that they could use a lot more light along the paths leading to the rooms. Also, we found it odd that even though rooms were available and we only stayed 2 nights, they would not provide a complimentary room upgrade for our honeymoon, which was done at every other property we stayed at on this trip. They asked us to pay the difference ($200 per night), but upon inspecting our room we decided it was sufficient for our needs and did not upgrade.
Overall I can't wait to return and would most definitely stay at the Chedi again.
Ubud in itself is magical and unlike any other part of Bali. Make sure to get guide for a day to see it properly, and I highly recommend Nayoman from Bali Traditional Tours (info@balitraditionaltours.com). He made our Bali trip! In all our world travels we haven't met a more knowledgeable and reliable guide, and a kinder, more personable one. We had the best day of our honeymoon with him, and felt like we were with a close friend showing us his home, rather than with a driver/guide.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank ig4078

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious one bedroom villa with its typical Balinese outdoor shower and vanity. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the butler and our club benefits to its fullest.

I am very sorry that we could not provide you with a free upgrade during the time you were staying with us.

We look forward upon your return visit to the Chedi Club and would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon.

We wish you all the very best and kind regards,