“The place is still lingering on.....”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #6 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I wrote a review on Komaneka Tanggayuda a week ago and have indicated to write a review on Chedi to compare the 2, which I have stayed in my last travel to Bali. Chedi was not in my plan originally but due to the eruption of Volcano Kelud, we altered our plan and stayed 2 more days in Ubud. Instead of staying 2 more days at Komaneka, which is an excellent hotel, we picked Chedi. We arrived mid day and we were shown to our villas and my friends were even upgraded to the estate house but it is too big for them so they turned it down and opted for the pool villa.

Chedi does not have a jungle, a river or a breathtaking view, instead Chedi offers you total serenity. What makes it tick is a combination of the environment, the weather, the layout of the compound, the architecture of the buildings, the immaculate service standard of both the staff and the management (including the butler of the owner), the gentleness and the sincerity of all staff members, the thoughtfulness of the operator. They just want to ensure all the hotel guests can take away good memories of Chedi.

Needless to say I am very happy with the hardware of the pool villa, it is not over luxury but it's just right. I am particular fond of the paddy field, which plays magic to calm you down and to take away your tension from work or the pressure of urban life. I could sat in the restaurant with my feet hanging over the paddy field for hours watching the rice plant, enjoying the slight breeze, the blue sky and even the monsoon rain.

I went to 2 yoga sessions and 2 spa/massage sessions, which I would highly recommend. It's really something of practicing yoga right in front of a greenfield and taking a bath under a starry night. The yoga instructor is very good, she ensured the right amount of exercise was given not too hard and could be coped by most.

The choices of the breakfast menu are very good with a choice of English breakfast, hot pastry, fruits, yogurt and cereals. We also try the Balinese set dinner, at first we thought the portion was small but in fact it was enough.

We were told the owner of the hotel is an architect by profession and is very fond of Balinese landscape and architecture. The buildings, the pool, the spa house, the restaurants, the lily ponds, the black swans, the footpath, the rice field are all carefully designed and maintain to ensure to provide a peace in mind to all the guests. The good rating of the hotel is no accident, every single inch and aspect are well managed.

I will go back again when I visit Bali next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful and detailed review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the resort that much, and we very much appreciate the gracious comments about the service, the hotel's facilities and our staff.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Simon and the management team

There are newer reviews for The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at the Chedi Club for 4 nights and had the most wonderful time.

We were picked up at the airport and had opted for the visa on arrival scheme. I had thought this might be an extravagance but as we were whisked past the long queue i knew i had made the right decision. Our driver was waiting and we even had Wifi in the car.

On arriving at the property our butler (Mita) was there to greet us. She took us to our room (a one bedroom villa) and explained how everything worked. The room was great (much bigger than your average room), and was perfectly well equipped with coffee, tea, minibar, hairdryer, TV, Bose sound system and an iPod that was loaded with every conceivable type of music - all you would expect from a 5 star resort. We ate at the restaurant on the first night and the food was of a good quality with a fine wine list. Breakfast next day (and every day) was fantastic - with gluten free croissants! and a view of the rice fields to die for.

The main pool was always quiet - in fact we had it to ourselves most of the time. We took part in the complimentary yoga - which was first class, and did the walk with the butler through the fields and the local village.

What puts the Chedi club above the competitors is the service. It is impeccable. If you do have a problem it will be sorted out without any fuss (not that we had any) We talked a lot to Simon the GM, who is passionate about the service that the customers receive, and chef Dean will cook anything you want. But ALL the staff are great and seem to really enjoy their work - which i think is credit to Simon and the way he runs the place.

The Chedi won't be for everyone (no hotel is) - it is not your standard type hotel. Being out of town gives it its uniqueness and a driver to take you into town can easily be arranged FOC. The natural setting, with birds, and wildlife make it a tranquil place to be and a unique bit of heaven.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay at the Chedi Club with fellow travelers with such a detailed review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff and your comments will also serve as an inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards that we aim for.

We look forward to the pleasure of a return visit and to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I am a lazy traveller and rarely wrote any reviews. However, after my stay with the Chedi Club, I feel compelled to share my wonderful experience with those who may consider staying there.

The environment - as many others have mentioned, the property is a 5-acre manor surrounded by rice fields. I came from China and grew up in a home that is surrounded by rice fields, so when I booked the hotel because of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, I thought the view of the hotel was probably the last thing I would be impressed with. It turned out that the view is spectacular even for someone who is already so used to rice fields... Let me say this, it is a beautifully designed manor/garden with not just rice fields, but also very beautiful swimming pool, pond, and plants. I could have stayed there without going out at all.

The room - there are only 20 villas on the property and we booked the probably most popular pool villa. I am quite picked when it comes to hotel rooms, but I barely have any complaints about the room. For those who want to book a suite instead of a villa for less money, I would strongly encourage you to spend a little more in exchange for more privacy and a large pool for your own!

The service - we stayed with 3 different 5-star hotels during our vacation at Bali. The services of all these hotels are good (24hr butler, shuttle bus, etc), but I would give the Chedi Club the highest rating. The staff there look genuinely happy (instead of carrying trained but somewhat fake smile). Due to the small number of rooms on the property, the guests always got the attention and care expected (and every more than expected). Our butler, Kamong and Jiwa are warm and feel like long-known friends. They also promptly and properly handled every request and question we have.

The restaurant - we have breakfast, cocktail and dinner at the restaurant (which is located right next to the rice field). The food is great and the price is a bit expensive but within the reasonable range. During our first dinner there, the executive chef Dean came to greet us and asked if we have any special requests for the food. Learning that we are from China (which means we eat EVERYTHING and have passion for the food), he offered to showed us around his garden where many of the ingredients of the dishes served in the restaurants are planted (all organic) and let us taste some of them. A wonderful experience!

The location - it is not exactly the center of Ubud. But who minds if your butler will arrange for the transportation upon just a call. They even lent us a local phone so that we could call the hotel to ask for the transportation back to the hotel after we finish our shopping at Ubud. How thoughtful!

The manager - the GM Simon is a very polite and nice person. We only had very brief conversation with hime but could already feel his professionalism. Thanks to Simon and all his team for giving us a truly incredible vacation at the Chedi Club. We enjoyed our stay there so much that hotels managed by GHM is already on the top of the list of hotels that we would consider for future trip.

Gloria

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank glorialwang
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful and detailed review. We appreciate your comments about our services, facilities and surroundings very much.

I will share your comments with our team, especially Dean, Jiwa and Komang, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a luxury boutique hotel we continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked to stay at the Chedi Club for 3 nights in Feb 2014, however we only stayed 1 night unfortunately. On arrival we were taken in by how beautiful the grounds were and how friendly and helpful the staff were. Our butler Dana was exceptional in explaining how things worked in our room, we only booked a 1 bedroom villa but it was lovely, plenty of room, outside bathroom was divine. We went for afternoon tea and cocktails and then booked in for dinner in the restaurant overlooking the rice fields which were all great. We couldn't have been happier until we went to bed.
Our villa was right next to a pond, 10ft outside our door was a large lilly pond which was home to many frogs. The noise was incredible, we actually recorded it as we knew people would not believe the level of the noise. We called the front desk at about 2:00am and they sent a security guard around who attempted to catch the frogs and relocat them, however there were too many for him. We asked to be moved and at 3:00am we were moved to a pool villa for the remainder of the night. The pool villa was beautiful, the pictures don't do it justice, and we regretted not booking one in the first instance. The next morning the manager came and spoke to us and apoligised for the disturbance but unfortunately the resort was full so they could not move us to another villa. We decided to leave as the 3 days we had booked to stay at Chedi were the start of our holiday and were going to be our time to unwind and get into holiday mode.
We were a disappointed that we were charged the full room rate for the first night and that there was no compensation offered.
I would recommend the Chedi Club but would suggest booking a pool villa against a standard villa. We are not against frogs or nature but we do like our sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Obviously Bali has many options and alternatives. One option much demanded is the beaches and beach hotels. Our option was to see the Balinese interior and culture of the people. Ubud is a well known center for this and the many villages around Ubud have artisians and a large variety of temples and cultural centers. However we did not want to stay in a hotel close to Ubud since it is a busy comercial center for the region.

The Chedi Club Hotel was exactly what we wanted in the out lying region of Ubud, yet within driving distance for cultural events, some of which we enjoyed on the hotel grounds it self. The service was impecable in all aspects. For visits out side the hotel we were assigned a driver who was not only very good at making his way over the narrow roads, but an extremely well qualified guide to explain the Balinese culture the várious temples, He also made sure we got to visit as many artisians as possible and the great variety of scenery such as volcanos, and rice planting and harvest. Also taking us for local food and getting aquanted with local fruits.

The trip was marvelous and we have e-mailed both the driver and house boy to confirm our thanks for a wonderful trip.

Johan Zweede and Sandra Lazera

Room Tip: The villas are very similar although some have two bed rooms and others only one large bed room. Mos...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Johan Z
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Chedi Club with fellow travelers. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you interesting and fulfilling tour with one of our drivers.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Such a step above the standard for 5-star: this is more akin to being a guest at a private complex (perhaps of a Bond-villain?) than it is to being a "hotel" or even a "spa". The layout is such that open spaces, reflecting pools, Lillie pad gardens and rice paddies isolate you from even the concept of other guests, let alone "neighbors." The architecture is sparse but luxurious. Our villa had an (enormous) outdoor bathtub, which was accented with stone gardens, recessed lights and a soundscape of falling water. The private pool and surrounding walls really allows one to have a retreat.
My wife said the Balinese massage was exceptional.
Dean Nor's cuisine is spectacular. Inventive, and, given he keeps an herb-garden and chickens, genuinely home-grown. His Singaporean origin is expressed in his fusion of styles and ingredients. The food was flavorful and fresh and presented beautifully. I wouldn't travel to Bali for the food... With this exception.
The butler takes care of everything: and still, the resulting rates are really reasonable (as opposed to the sense I've gotten other places that if you care about how much it costs, you shouldn't have the hotel butler arrange it (sneer)). We had a daylong driving tour arranged, with a terrifically informative driver (who spoke beautiful English): very reasonable!
Chedi Club was the absolute highlight of our stay in Bali.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful review!

The hotel use to be a private Estate and has therefore a different character comparing to a regular hotel.Its nice that you pointed that out and liked the concept. Where can you find a hotel today with 5 hectares of land and only 20 villas? By the way, Dr. No stays with us every Christmas :-)

I'll make sure to pass on your great comments to your entire team.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at The Chedi Club in October 2012, and have been meaning to review it for some time. It has become the bench mark by which we judge everywhere we have been since, and are constantly searching for places like it!

From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and went above and beyond our expectations. My boyfriend was ill during our stay here (from something he had eaten at a previous hotel) and the Chedi Club couldn't do enough to help - they suggested particular dishes and drinks that may help, and even went to town to buy some pro-biotic drinks. The staff throughout the resort often asked how he was doing, and on our last night gave us a complementary meal as they felt sorry that our stay may have been marred by his illness (which was not down to the Chedi at all).

As everyone else has said, the grounds of the hotel itself are absolutely beautiful, as are the villas. We had the spa villa and the treatments were excellent.

The food was also sublime. I am coeliac and the chef and his team were amazing - they made the best gluten free pastries (including croissant!), bread and pancakes that I have ever found anywhere in the world. The croissant was so good that the first time I had one I checked twice that it really was gluten free.

A beautiful, special hotel that I only wish was nearer so that we could return more often!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a great review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you could enjoy your stay with us and we were able to comfort your boyfriends vacation as much as possible. We all hope he is back in good shape and please extend our best regards from the whole team at the Chedi Club to him.

I'll make sure to pass on your gracious comments about the food to our Chef Dean and his culinary team.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.